Post Adoption

jji23

Hi,

I am British. After a very long and rigorous adoption process my wife and I have successfully completed a domestic adoption here in Thailand. We now have the relevant adoption certificate.

What I would like to know is that after I get a legalized translation of the adoption certificate at Cheang Wattana is it possible for me to have a translation of the adoption certificate verified by the British Embassy for travel purposes? There is nothing about this on the Embassy website. We would like to visit England next April and turning up to immigration with an adoption certificate all in Thai could probably run us into some problems.

On another note I will begin applying to register my adopted child as a British citizen using form MN1 has anyone been in my situation and had any experiences doing this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

James

I would think you would need to first register the child for British Citizenship and receive a Passport prior to travel.

If the child is Thai then also have the child registered to receive an ID Card and Thailand Passport.

This is probably what you are already doing.

You talk about a domestic adoption. If the adoption is only according to Thai law it is not recognized by the UK. For that you should have chosen for an international adoption.

Currently your child can probably not receive British nationality. The legalization of the adoption papers will serve for travel purposes, but not to get the child your nationality.

We have been through the Thai domestic adoption process about, 2 years ago. I am not sure about the UK but I would think it is similar to Australia. They will not recognise a Thai domestic adoption. It is 100% legal for everything in Thailand and even for international travel but your home government will not recognise it or allow you to apply for permanent residency or citizenship for the adopted child. We have been through all of this with the Australian Embassy and they wouldn't even accept the application even though I am Australian and my wife has dual Australian/Thai citizenship. You need to have an international adoption.

• 2 weeks later...

Children adopted abroad by British citizen parents.

Applications for registration of children adopted either under the terms of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions or adopted before 3 January 2014 in territories designated under the Adoption (Designation of Overseas Adoptions) Order 1973 or after 3 January 2014 in territories listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013 or the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) (Scotland) Regulations 2013 and the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2013 (see list on page 14) will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion if:

•at least one of the adoptive parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (see page 6); and

•if necessary, both adoptive parents have signified their consent to the registration; (and in surrogacy cases, a notarised statement of consent from the surrogate mother); and

•there is no reason to refuse on character grounds (see pages 21-24); andChildren adopted abroad by British citizen parents.

•there is no reason to refuse on character grounds (see pages 21-24); and

•we are satisfied that all relevant adoption laws have been adhered to. This includes

the laws of the country in which the adoption has taken place, the country of origin of the child and the country in which the adoptive parents are habitually resident;

We satisfy all of the criteria as the UK recognises Thai adoptions and THAILAND is listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013.

Hello James we're just about to apply for a Thai adoption in the next couple of weeks appreciate if you could give us a little insite on your first hand experience as we really not sure what to expect.

Thanks Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'm sure you will have many questions and many more frustrations with this rigorous process. Please feel free to message me with any questions/concerns that you may have a long the way and I'll try and answer them.

Cheers

James

Hi jji23

There are a couple of things you can do.

First one I am certain of - as much as you can be certain of anything in Thailand. You can get the Thai document translated into English. You can then have this certified as a true translation by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They have 2 services for certifying translations one for next day and one express for same day if you get there before a certain time. Cost is only a couple of hundred baht and double for express so express saves hassle of a second trip to Chang Wattana MOFA. You then have a recognised English version. This would be OK for simply showing the legal relationship to confirm the child is your adopted child. I ve done this at MOFA for our kids birth certs marriage certs work testimonials etc.

Just take the Mrs to wade thru the process with you and go early.

You can then take that document and have it certified at the UK embassy I think. They notarise and certify all sorts of docs. Charge usually around 1500 baht so more expensive than Thai MOFA. Not sure what value this would add tho. Have never needed it myself for travel and the Thai MOFA doc us usually enough. If you go to say Vietnam they may want the Vietnamese embassy to validate as well. I.e certify the certification.

For UK. More useful would probably be to include a copy of the certified doc in your adopted child s visa application to the UK which I assume will be on a Thai passport. This will help prove the family relationship and support your uk visa app for your child.

Without a UK passport they will just be similar to your wife or any other Thai without one. They will need a uk visa.

Congrats again btw on the adoption. Kudos to you as well for taking things on :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

Nowadays, with a lot of focus on (child) trafficking proof of adoption might be handy. But if the child has a passport with your last name, it should not be a problem. it there is a difference in last name, it can be a problem and proof of adoption would certainly be advised.

Thailand and the UK both are known to perform a check if a child has a different last name than the adult person it travels with. Not always, but often enough.

Applications for registration of children adopted either under the terms of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions or adopted before 3 January 2014 in territories designated under the Adoption (Designation of Overseas Adoptions) Order 1973 or after 3 January 2014 in territories listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013 or the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) (Scotland) Regulations 2013 and the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2013 (see list on page 14) will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion if:

•at least one of the adoptive parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (see page 6); and

•if necessary, both adoptive parents have signified their consent to the registration; (and in surrogacy cases, a notarised statement of consent from the surrogate mother); and

•there is no reason to refuse on character grounds (see pages 21-24); andChildren adopted abroad by British citizen parents.

•we are satisfied that all relevant adoption laws have been adhered to. This includes

the laws of the country in which the adoption has taken place, the country of origin of the child and the country in which the adoptive parents are habitually resident;

We satisfy all of the criteria as the UK recognises Thai adoptions and THAILAND is listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013.

Hi jji23,

I think you need to seek legal advice immediately. In my understanding, a Thai domestic adoption does NOT meet the terms of the Hague Convention on international adoptions, and there is a chance your child does not fall under the terms you have listed above. The Hague Convention, of which both Thailand and the UK are signatories, lists rules that must be followed to be a recognized international adoption, and it is my understanding that the Thai domestic procedure does not follow these rules.

It may be that you can meet the regulations for the UK due to specific procedures followed, but I would not assume it is a guarantee, and you may have a long road ahead of you. I suggest you speak with a representative of your embassy immediately. If you adopted the child from Thailand through an international adoption procedure consistent with the Hague Convention, then yes, it would clearly be recognized. Your description of the procedure you followed does not seem to indicate that the procedure you used was consistent with an international adoption under the Hague Convention.

Please let all of us know how this turns out, as I'm sure whatever the outcome your story will be very useful for other members.

Hi jji23,

I think you need to seek legal advice immediately. In my understanding, a Thai domestic adoption does NOT meet the terms of the Hague Convention on international adoptions, and there is a chance your child does not fall under the terms you have listed above. The Hague Convention, of which both Thailand and the UK are signatories, lists rules that must be followed to be a recognized international adoption, and it is my understanding that the Thai domestic procedure does not follow these rules.

It may be that you can meet the regulations for the UK due to specific procedures followed, but I would not assume it is a guarantee, and you may have a long road ahead of you. I suggest you speak with a representative of your embassy immediately. If you adopted the child from Thailand through an international adoption procedure consistent with the Hague Convention, then yes, it would clearly be recognized. Your description of the procedure you followed does not seem to indicate that the procedure you used was consistent with an international adoption under the Hague Convention.

Please let all of us know how this turns out, as I'm sure whatever the outcome your story will be very useful for other members.

I agree with you on that. I have been through the Thai process and it definitely does not meet the requirements for international adoptions. Contact your embassy and check. It's the safest way.

Hi jji23,

I agree with you on that. I have been through the Thai process and it definitely does not meet the requirements for international adoptions. Contact your embassy and check. It's the safest way.

Thanks for the advice. I strongly believe that my case meets the criteria set out in the guide to form MN1. Whilst International adoption is 1 route to getting British Citizenship for children adopted overseas, the guide clearly states;

"under the terms of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions or adopted before 3 January 2014 in territories designated under the Adoption (Designation of Overseas Adoptions) Order 1973 or after 3 January 2014 in territories listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013"

My son was adopted after the 3rd of January 2014 in Thailand which is a territory listed in the Adoption (Recognition of Overseas Adoptions) Order 2013";

www.legislation.gov.uk/cy/uksi/2013/1801/made?view=plan

My son satisfies all of the criteria laid out here under the section "other adoptions";

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-how-adopted-children-can-become-british/intercountry-adoption-and-british-citizenship

I know that I need to be completely sure that I meet the criteria as a 36,000 baht fee which is non-refundable will be a lot to lose!

• 2 months later...

We have been through the Thai domestic adoption process about, 2 years ago. I am not sure about the UK but I would think it is similar to Australia. They will not recognise a Thai domestic adoption. It is 100% legal for everything in Thailand and even for international travel but your home government will not recognise it or allow you to apply for permanent residency or citizenship for the adopted child. We have been through all of this with the Australian Embassy and they wouldn't even accept the application even though I am Australian and my wife has dual Australian/Thai citizenship. You need to have an international adoption.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and trying to find my way around the threads. This thread seems most appropriate as a starting point. I have several questions and am desperate for information, support and any help that is available. Likewise, I am happy to share the limited experiences thus far in my journey to adopt my step-daughter - Jessica. (Apologies if this thread is too long, but it is not a short tale to tell.)

Firstly, a brief back ground :

· I am Australian (by birth) on an Australian passport

· 52 years of age

· My wife and I married in Thailand in 2008 and the marriage is registered in Bangkok

· We live in Udon Thani

· My wife has my surname in her Thai passport

· Jessica, my wife’s birth child, now has my surname in her Thai passport

· Youngest daughter, born in Thailand, has Australian citizenship by birth and will soon have an Australian passport. She also has my surname in her Thai passport.

· Both children attend a private bilingual school in Udon Thani

· We now live permanently in Thailand

After almost 6 years since starting the process in December, 2008 - granted, I was in Japan with the family for a little over 12 months during which time the process seems to have been put on hold - I have now legally adopted my step-daughter (my wife's birth child) in Thailand, changed her name and she now has a Thai passport showing my surname – adoption formally completed in August this year. My Thai wife and our second child - who was born in Thailand and has Australian Citizenship by decent - have my surname. So, the family is 'complete', and all have the same family name and all is recognised by the Thai government.

In order for the adoption to be finalised we all traveled to Bangkok - we live in Udon Thani - and attended an interview in front of a panel of about 10 representatives of the Adoption Centre in Bangkok. I was specifically asked, in English by the Director, if I was prepared to adopt Jessica under The Hague Convention guidelines. Of course I agreed and so assumed that what how the adoption would be recognised by the Australian government. My wife was formally asked in Thai if she was prepared to relinquish all custodial rights to Jessica. She agreed.

We were then told, immediately after the meeting, that we would be sent a letter confirming the adoption - the adoption officer 'forgot' she had asked us to wait after the interview and we spent an hour sitting twiddling our thumbs until I asked when she would come to confirm we could leave. That 'forgetfulness' and the past 6 years of waiting did highlight to me the inefficiencies of our particular case officer.

(Side note: correct translations of these department names and bureaucratic positions I am not sure about, as my wife does not speak English, I do not speak Thai and we communicate in a third language - Japanese - so translations tend to be general in terms. My children speak Thai and English, but at their age the technical terminology is not something they can be expected to help with.)

So, two months went by and we had not received the letter we were told would be sent within two weeks of the interview. Repeated emails and calls from my wife and I to the case officer received scoffs and dismissals, and occasional promises the letter was sent. The case officer then suddenly switched story to saying the letter was sent to a section of the Udon Thani Amphur, and to go see them. We did that, but that section had never seen the letter but knew of the case officer’s bad reputation on documentation. We eventually saw the head of that department in Udon Thani, he issued another letter, we then took that to a different section and the adoption was registered and name change was made official. Then we applied for Jessica’s Thai passport and have that part of the saga all squared away. Except for the fact this case officer still refuses to provide an original copy of the letter – I finally did receive a scanned copy by email – and now tells me the adoption was not made under The Hague Convention!

This is a particularly poignant point as, and this is noted above in your previous comments, the Australian Government seemingly only has determined to recognize adoptions completed under the terms of The Hague Convention. I know the US has different rules, and it seems that possibly the UK does as well. So, what happens now to the child I have legally and morally taken on as my own and my sole responsibility? (Rhetorical)

The next part involves trying to get the Australian government to recognize the adoption. Since my wife had to agree to relinquish all custodial rights to Jessica – under Thai law – I assumed the Australian government would accept the adoption under Australian law and issue Citizenship and a passport. The Adoptions Act 2009 in Australia gives this to children adopted under the Hague Convention, so I cannot fathom why it is not available in my case?

I would very much appreciate hearing from any readers, but particularly you, as to whether you have any breakthroughs in regard to dealing with the Australian Government.

I have been lead in circles by the Department of Immigration and Border Control in Australia and the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, the Attorney General’s Department in Canberra was dismissive, as was the Citizenship section at the Australian Embassy with the response to me that ‘we cannot advise on matters of Australian law, so please visit the website’, and the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services which handles adoption applications in Australia tell me it is out of their jurisdiction.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar tales.

Kel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum and trying to find my way around the threads. This thread seems most appropriate as a starting point. I have several questions and am desperate for information, support and any help that is available. Likewise, I am happy to share the limited experiences thus far in my journey to adopt my step-daughter - Jessica. (Apologies if this thread is too long, but it is not a short tale to tell.)

Firstly, a brief back ground :

· I am Australian (by birth) on an Australian passport

· 52 years of age

· My wife and I married in Thailand in 2008 and the marriage is registered in Bangkok

· We live in Udon Thani

· My wife has my surname in her Thai passport

· Jessica, my wife’s birth child, now has my surname in her Thai passport

· Youngest daughter, born in Thailand, has Australian citizenship by birth and will soon have an Australian passport. She also has my surname in her Thai passport.

· Both children attend a private bilingual school in Udon Thani

· We now live permanently in Thailand

After almost 6 years since starting the process in December, 2008 - granted, I was in Japan with the family for a little over 12 months during which time the process seems to have been put on hold - I have now legally adopted my step-daughter (my wife's birth child) in Thailand, changed her name and she now has a Thai passport showing my surname – adoption formally completed in August this year. My Thai wife and our second child - who was born in Thailand and has Australian Citizenship by decent - have my surname. So, the family is 'complete', and all have the same family name and all is recognised by the Thai government.

In order for the adoption to be finalised we all traveled to Bangkok - we live in Udon Thani - and attended an interview in front of a panel of about 10 representatives of the Adoption Centre in Bangkok. I was specifically asked, in English by the Director, if I was prepared to adopt Jessica under The Hague Convention guidelines. Of course I agreed and so assumed that what how the adoption would be recognised by the Australian government. My wife was formally asked in Thai if she was prepared to relinquish all custodial rights to Jessica. She agreed.

We were then told, immediately after the meeting, that we would be sent a letter confirming the adoption - the adoption officer 'forgot' she had asked us to wait after the interview and we spent an hour sitting twiddling our thumbs until I asked when she would come to confirm we could leave. That 'forgetfulness' and the past 6 years of waiting did highlight to me the inefficiencies of our particular case officer.

(Side note: correct translations of these department names and bureaucratic positions I am not sure about, as my wife does not speak English, I do not speak Thai and we communicate in a third language - Japanese - so translations tend to be general in terms. My children speak Thai and English, but at their age the technical terminology is not something they can be expected to help with.)

So, two months went by and we had not received the letter we were told would be sent within two weeks of the interview. Repeated emails and calls from my wife and I to the case officer received scoffs and dismissals, and occasional promises the letter was sent. The case officer then suddenly switched story to saying the letter was sent to a section of the Udon Thani Amphur, and to go see them. We did that, but that section had never seen the letter but knew of the case officer’s bad reputation on documentation. We eventually saw the head of that department in Udon Thani, he issued another letter, we then took that to a different section and the adoption was registered and name change was made official. Then we applied for Jessica’s Thai passport and have that part of the saga all squared away. Except for the fact this case officer still refuses to provide an original copy of the letter – I finally did receive a scanned copy by email – and now tells me the adoption was not made under The Hague Convention!

This is a particularly poignant point as, and this is noted above in your previous comments, the Australian Government seemingly only has determined to recognize adoptions completed under the terms of The Hague Convention. I know the US has different rules, and it seems that possibly the UK does as well. So, what happens now to the child I have legally and morally taken on as my own and my sole responsibility? (Rhetorical)

The next part involves trying to get the Australian government to recognize the adoption. Since my wife had to agree to relinquish all custodial rights to Jessica – under Thai law – I assumed the Australian government would accept the adoption under Australian law and issue Citizenship and a passport. The Adoptions Act 2009 in Australia gives this to children adopted under the Hague Convention, so I cannot fathom why it is not available in my case?

I would very much appreciate hearing from any readers, but particularly you, as to whether you have any breakthroughs in regard to dealing with the Australian Government.

I have been lead in circles by the Department of Immigration and Border Control in Australia and the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, the Attorney General’s Department in Canberra was dismissive, as was the Citizenship section at the Australian Embassy with the response to me that ‘we cannot advise on matters of Australian law, so please visit the website’, and the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services which handles adoption applications in Australia tell me it is out of their jurisdiction.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar tales.

Kel

As I said in an earlier post we have been through all of this with our adopted daughter without a positive result and my wife and I both hold Aussie passports plus my wife also has her Thai one. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss all of this and compare experiences.

• 1 month later...

I got 'Guardianship' of my Niece via a Thai family court, this is not recognised under English law. And late last year through Brititish family courts, I adopted my Thai niece. She now has a British citizenship, my surname and her passport. However, this UK domestic adoption is NOT recognised under Thai law!!!! I cannot change her name in her Thai passport and I only have the legal rights that the Thai guardianship order gives. My English husband (her adopted dad) has NO rights in Thailand.

I got 'Guardianship' of my Niece via a Thai family court, this is not recognised under English law. And late last year through Brititish family courts, I adopted my Thai niece. She now has a British citizenship, my surname and her passport. However, this UK domestic adoption is NOT recognised under Thai law!!!! I cannot change her name in her Thai passport and I only have the legal rights that the Thai guardianship order gives. My English husband (her adopted dad) has NO rights in Thailand.

The guardianship is probably recognized also under UK law, but do not confuse it with an adoption. It gives you certain rights over the child, but does not establish family ties like an adoption and ends when the person becomes an adult.

• 8 months later...