New: Criminal background check consent for extension of stay

Yesterday I went for my annual marriage extension at Immigrations, sixth time.

Before the Immigrations officer even started to look at my papers he handed me a new form.

It was basically questioning me if I had a criminal record in my home country or in Thailand.

If, yes there was space to specify your conviction and/or ongoing cases.

It also asked for my consent to make a criminal background check in my home country and in Thailand.

It also stated that any false information will be used for prosecution, possible jail time and revocation of any extension of stay.

Has anyone else been given this form?

And for members that wonders, No, I do not have a criminal record nor minded that made a background check.

• Like 2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^+1, but I only wonder if they have the manpower to do these checks.

Great point ... but they can certainly smoke out some people with the self confessions!

Maybe the answer is to make criminal checks compulsory for all non-immigrant visa applications to Thai embassies and consulates abroad - just as already happens in the case of the OA visa for example.

Local immigration officers would then be able, if they wished, to simply tap into the Thai equivalent of the British PNC or American CODIS (assuming that this exists) at extension of stay time to see whether we had been naughty boys (or girls) since moving to LOS.

• Like 1

It always seemed strange to me that if you apply for a retirement visa in your home country, you have to provide a police record to the embassy.

But if you apply here in Thailand then it's not needed.

Maybe they'll also tighten up on retirement applicants/extensions if the original visa wasn't obtained at home with a police record already provided.

• Like 1

It is about time they started checking, but should be done before they first the original visa. They will need a lot of luck checking in some of the worst countries that have criminals entering LOS, Nigeria, Kenya, Pakistan come to mind.

Always nice to see a bit of racism punctuate the day, huh?

if the shoe fits

In the UK they have no authority to make criminal record checks except in very specific circumstances. You can't just do a criminal record check on anybody you please.

This a new one on me. Are you really suggesting that individual police officers need to obtain explicit permission from senior officers or even the courts before they can routinely access their own computerised rogues' gallery database?

In the UK they have no authority to make criminal record checks except in very specific circumstances. You can't just do a criminal record check on anybody you please.

Peanuts. HR of many companies do just that day and night. Checking candidate's name against dabases of pedofiles (which are public), whatever else there is available to check, trawl social media. When applying for a job you give them your acknowledgement.

What could be new in Thai now is just that tell you they are (or may be) doing that and you are aware. Everyone has been photographed at border crossing. Face recogition software these days can dig you out from whatever anonymous (as this one) Forum they want.

Of course, sporting a new tatoo or being a breeder of pitbulls won't stop visa extension but something else might.