Research

Wanderlust

Honestly guys, I don't want this to become a guessing game! It is nothing like what any of you are thinking, OK? It is better if there is a community that has the things I mentioned but again it isn't a deciding factor on its own. A place that has those things would place higher in the list of prospects but that is all.If I get a firmed up list with more information I will tell you so just be patient. However if it seems as though none of the locations are suitable at the moment then I may not, because I obviously don't want someone 'stealing' the idea.

Really? You made it a guessing game with your OP.

BTW, how does one do market research on "possibilities"? Pie in the sky?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly guys, I don't want this to become a guessing game! It is nothing like what any of you are thinking, OK? It is better if there is a community that has the things I mentioned but again it isn't a deciding factor on its own. A place that has those things would place higher in the list of prospects but that is all.If I get a firmed up list with more information I will tell you so just be patient. However if it seems as though none of the locations are suitable at the moment then I may not, because I obviously don't want someone 'stealing' the idea.

Actually i didn't call it Market research, I just said research. I am right at the beginning of the process. I searched the internet for population information but as I have said it is both out of date and sketchy. If I had said 'guess what the business is' I would have been making it a guessing game, but I have explicitly stated why i do not want to name what it is, which could also be against forum rules anyway. At this stage it doesn't matter what it is, as I am not asking any of you to assess the viability in your area, just information about the place you live in. If you don't want to give any, that's fine, but then what is the point of posting on here at all. I'm not asking for your opinion on what i plan to do or not do, just want to know more about areas I have rarely been to, if at all. I did think of just posting as if I was thinking of moving there but thought that being honest was the best policy. Now I know better.

So you "have explicitly stated why i do not want to name what it is ..." But --

"I will be looking for people to work with in the location(s) either as partners, franchisees or some other formal arrangement so it will be of benefit to both those people and the expat (and Thai) community in general in the form of employment and what will be on offer."

So anybody who takes the time to give you information that one only gets from living long-term in the Isaan environs should maybe do so because they at some point may be able (given some up-front investment) to benefit their community in general? You are one swell guy.

Actually i didn't call it Market research, I just said research. I am right at the beginning of the process. I searched the internet for population information but as I have said it is both out of date and sketchy. If I had said 'guess what the business is' I would have been making it a guessing game, but I have explicitly stated why i do not want to name what it is, which could also be against forum rules anyway. At this stage it doesn't matter what it is, as I am not asking any of you to assess the viability in your area, just information about the place you live in. If you don't want to give any, that's fine, but then what is the point of posting on here at all. I'm not asking for your opinion on what i plan to do or not do, just want to know more about areas I have rarely been to, if at all. I did think of just posting as if I was thinking of moving there but thought that being honest was the best policy. Now I know better.

Never said you called it market research -- but as JLCrab pointed out, your are thinking of business relationships. To me, research for marketing opportunities -- well, get the idea?

Why I posted? Because I can?

Oh Dear. This thread seems be going nowhere. Mind you I did warn the OP that I thought he was treadingon somewhat dangerous ground. It would seem that I was right, I think that we have only had a couple of genuine answers to the OP's post, the rest have been speculation as to what wondrous scheme the OP will present to those willing to participate that will make a fortune for all those involved. I genuinely think the OP (only a recent forum member) made a mistake in posting on this forum that has such a great proportion of cynical hard-noses.

Nevertheless I wish the OP success, Thai visa may be many things but I wouldn't recommend it as a reliable source for a business venture.

• Like 1

Toknarok, despite the fact that you are completely wrong about how long I have been a member of ThaiVisa, and that I have never made 'wondrous' claims about my venture, you appear to be spot on with your last sentence. I am really at a complete loss to understand the majority of reactions on here - is it boredom, envy, fear? All I want is genuine opinions and information on the places you people have chosen to live in. As I have already said, if I had been sneaky and posted the questions as someone considering moving to Isaan you would have gushed information, but because I was honest I just get cynicism and vitriol from the majority. Most of you need to have a long, hard look in the mirror because you are appearing to me as bitter and twisted individuals. Thank you to the few who have responded as I expected but the rest...You will never know what I am planning and don't deserve to know - the information I was looking for was neither controversial nor would allow anyone to do anything to anybody and yet some of you seem to think it should be protected at all cost. It is, quite frankly, PATHETIC.

• Like 1

... is it boredom, envy, fear? No it is quid pro quo -- what are you asking for and what are you giving. You are asking for a fair amount and giving nothing except that you are not inclined to divulge the reasons that you are asking for this information.

And if anybody asks for information on moving to Issan, I generally hope they end up going somewhere else.

• Like 1

JLCrab, so someone asking for opinions and relatively innocuous information has to give something in return on these forums? I will remember that in future when I am about to post something to help someone else and ask them to give me something first! What an idiot you are.

JLCrab, so someone asking for opinions and relatively innocuous information has to give something in return on these forums? I will remember that in future when I am about to post something to help someone else and ask them to give me something first! What an idiot you are.

You just keep on showing what a nice guy and professional businessman you are. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The innocuous information requested of people is information that the OP does not have and only comes from spending years in a location. What OP seems unwilling to give is the slightest bit of information as to why he would post a questionnaire in the first place when he says that this is based upon an ongoing business.

It might be that after someone supplies such information, and then finds out why there was such a request, that he might wish he didn't supply the info in the first place.

• Like 1

JLCrab,

Then the simple answer is for you or anyone else who shares your view of this not to clutter up this thread with your off topic rambling. I fail to see how the information asked for can be construed as in any way threatening, particularly as much of it is opinion and anonymous. I happily divulge information good or bad to people I meet either in real or virtual life about the places I have lived in without a second thought; not everyone has the same opinions about places but that is why forums should be useful places to go, a point you and others are clearly proving wrong. Thankfully there have been some posters who don't share your miserly view.

So you asked: And if you think that your location would not be a good choice for a new business please let me know, and why

How is anyone supposed to answer a question like that when you have decided you don't want anyone to know what kind of business you are talking about except that it and anyone who runs it can be a benefit to the community?

Just a reminder: This ain't your show.

BTW This is a photo of the SkyHaus BMW/MiniCooper Dealership in Khon Kaen. Apparently they think it is a good location to open a business:

News130703_1.jpg

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

JLCrab,

First of all, thank you for sharing some useful information about Khon Kaen; I was actually aware of the Mini dealership but of course you weren't to know that. Khon Kaen is, at the moment, a possibility.

Secondly, i will reiterate why I do not want to reveal the nature of my business; (A) i don't want to complicate the thread with discussion of that; (B} the fact that the expansion i hope for may never happen; and © I don't want someone stealing my idea. I don't really think there can be much argument with those reasons can there?

My question that you quoted does not necessarily require knowledge of what business it is, all that is needed to be known is that as with any business it requires a customer base who are willing and able to spend money on something (that i know they will find useful because of my existing experience); the customer base in my business is largely expats/foreigners hence my questions regarding size of population and number of foreign oriented businesses. However a large Thai population also feeds into this, and how educated/wealthy they are does too.

As i have already said, if you don't want to share information that is fine, but please don't clutter this thread up with a continuation of this argument. I am not going to tell you what the business is however much you go on until I am good and ready. That IS my show.

Edited by Wanderlust

The show is called ThaiVisa.com -- just because you start a topic doesn't make you master of ceremonies and get say how you feel people should or should not respond to your topic as long as they are within the parameters of forum rules.

Other than bars and restaurants and a few food shops selling mushy peas to the Brits I do not know of any 'farang oriented' commercial enterprise in Khon Kaen after 10 years here.

Why spread all over the country? Pattaya fulfills all the requirements. Tons of gullible Farangs that will buy anything ranging from International Health Coverage (Company mailbox located somewhere in the Cayman-Islands) all the way to fake Rolex watches.)

Unless the business-venture is linked to "spreading the gospel" along the way and in any sort of way, I would establish my "base" in Pattaya. If your bird doesn't fly here, you don't need to venture into provincial Thailand.

But then of course, we all still don't know what you want to do. As long as this is the case, don't expect any meaningful advice.

---------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: Have imported some staunch members of "Jehova's Witnesses". As of Oct 1st we will be starting to sell "Jehova-Burgers" in Pattaya. Some few franchises in select areas still available !

Cheers.

JLCrab,

First of all, thank you for sharing some useful information about Khon Kaen; I was actually aware of the Mini dealership but of course you weren't to know that. Khon Kaen is, at the moment, a possibility.

Secondly, i will reiterate why I do not want to reveal the nature of my business; (A) i don't want to complicate the thread with discussion of that; (B} the fact that the expansion i hope for may never happen; and © I don't want someone stealing my idea. I don't really think there can be much argument with those reasons can there?

My question that you quoted does not necessarily require knowledge of what business it is, all that is needed to be known is that as with any business it requires a customer base who are willing and able to spend money on something (that i know they will find useful because of my existing experience); the customer base in my business is largely expats/foreigners hence my questions regarding size of population and number of foreign oriented businesses. However a large Thai population also feeds into this, and how educated/wealthy they are does too.

As i have already said, if you don't want to share information that is fine, but please don't clutter this thread up with a continuation of this argument. I am not going to tell you what the business is however much you go on until I am good and ready. That IS my show.

Now I'm confused. First you ask about the following cities (you say), and most think like me about the province. And now you're writing, you know that already. Are you sure you know what you want to kiss ?

Your whole post seems to be a scam and nothing serious.

• Like 1

I guess you are either being deliberately obtuse or you just aren't reading my posts carefully enough.

JLCrab - I know what you meant, but I am fairly sure that as the thread starter I could request a mod to lock or delete the thread, not that I would; however when I posted 'That IS my show' I was referring to the fact that it is completely up to me what I do or don't reveal, OK? I just copied your expression.

Now thank you again for sharing your impressions of Khon Kaen, although I would be a little surprised if there weren't any hotels or guest houses that either have foreign management or involvement and were not catering to foreigners? That is something relatively easily checked on the internet thankfully.

swissie,

Once again you try to second guess and ignore everything I have already posted. I am looking at locations all over Thailand but this is the Isaan forum so I am not asking for opinions on Pattaya, however good a prospect it may or may not be. And I already explained several times why I am not revealing the kind of business it is. If YOU don't feel comfortable responding meaningfully because of that then don't, you don't have to post anything. Good luck with the burgers by the way...

Now bushmill,

Sorry that you are so confused; let me be clear - I am asking about cities, large towns or nearby groups of same, not provinces. I don't want to kiss anything but I am guessing that something has got lost in translation there. I am serious, it's not a scam but as you only have my word anonymously on an Internet forum it is up to you how you take that. There's not much I can do about that, even if I said what the business is I would probably be accused of lying or similar. If you still think it is a scam don't bother reading or posting on the thread as it will be pointless. I don't want you thinking I am wasting your time. I'm not really sure what any of you doubters think I can get out of the information I am requesting should any more of you deem to share it, other than what I have stated. Think about it.

• Like 1

OK -- The Orchid and the MaiThai Guesthouse and maybe Nan's might be considered foreign oriented guest houses -- there may be others that have a foreign involved but I don't think they would have a majority foreign customers.

OP said above: because I obviously don't want someone 'stealing' the idea ... If after running an existing business the idea can be stolen by just the mere mention of the 'idea' on a website then what could be the barrier-to-entry to such a project?

Edited by JLCrab

JLCrab,

Thanks for that additional info.

As regards the barriers to entry, there are some, and me mentioning the idea on here would not automatically mean someone else could start up something along the same lines, but I'd rather not take that chance at this point. That was only the third of my reasons for not revealing though. My research so far has in fact revealed that in some places in Thailand (and Isaan) that a similar business has been attempted, with some succeeding, others not. I am not scared of competition but a new start up would be easier without it.

I am really at a complete loss to understand the majority of reactions on here - is it boredom, envy, fear?

It is jealousy, pure and simple.

You see it time and time again amongst bitter expats in Thailand. ignore them and just concentrate on your venture and I wish you all the best.

I'll give it a crack for the city of Ubon Ratchathani but this is from the eyes of someone who does not live their full time currently but has done business there in the past.

1. Approximate total population and estimated Western expat population? No idea at all sorry but I do notice that there is quite of lot of them who come and stay for just a few months a year.

2. Approximate number of businesses specifically catering to foreigners Hotels specifically catering for foreigners? None. Guesthouses? 2 - 3 but with only a few rooms each. Restaurants? There are half a dozen restaurants run by expats but this does not mean they specifically cater for Foreigners but they do have foreign food. If they did (cater just for foreigners) they would not last long. There are three actual bars that cater for Foreigners.

3. The general demographics of the expats in your view (mostly young/old, working/retired , wealthy or not) Mostly old, mostly retired but a good smattering of older workers and some quite young people as well.

4. A general view of the Thai population there - friendly, educated, farang friendly, better/worse off than average etc? Rapidly gaining wealth as the city quickly changes. Willing to try new things. Poor level of English.

5. How much of an expat community there is - are there local sports leagues, pub quizzes, regular events, hashers, that sort of thing.Is it expanding or stagnant? There is a Hash group. There used to be a Monday lunch group (not sure if still operating) there is a retired US army group. There are 4 golf courses so a lot of people get together to play. Thats about it that I know of.

JLCrab,

I would agree with both your last posts - how can someone be jealous of somebody when the only knowledge they have are posts on here? And it is doubtful that we would have any contact to do with my business, although we do work with charitable organizations where we are now, so you never know.