US teacher accidentally shoots self

webfact

Utah teacher accidentally shoots self in school toilet

(BBC) -- A teacher in the US state of Utah who was legally carrying a gun in her primary school accidentally shot herself in the leg, police have said.

The incident happened in a staff toilet before classes started and no children were in the building, officials said.

The unidentified woman was seriously injured but was in a good condition in hospital by the afternoon.

Utah is among a number of states that allow people with permits to carry concealed weapons into primary schools.

A larger number of states leave it up to individual school districts to prohibit firearms on school campuses or allow only teachers and other school staff to carry guns.

Utah also prohibits school officials from asking teachers if they are carrying a firearm.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29168777

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-12

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A teacher was legally carrying a gun in school!!! What the hell???!!!

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

Be fair now - she was probably terrified that half her primary school students were touting Uzi's in their Barbie and Ben-Ten backpacks.

• Like 1

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

It's a different culture that you aren't expected to understand.

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

But you wouldn't understand that.

Luckily even in your own country there are more and more people who "don't understand your culture" .

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-restaurants-guns-butter-don-093000345.html

More Restaurants Say Guns and Butter Don’t Mix
  • Like 1

The "culture" is not different - it is based on the immigrants from UK and Europe who populated those lands and displaced the natives. UK and Europe have largely learned how to keep order through education and social standards -- it's not perfect, but it works and any guns n the streets are in the hands of military or police only - or they are illegal. This makes life a lot less stressful smile.png

Less stressful? Violent crime in the UK is twice as high as in the US and citizens have no way of defending themselves from violent criminals. However, the homicide rate is higher in the USA.

Violent crime is reported very differently in USA and EU/UK, Apples and pears ;)

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

Luckily even in your own country there are more and more people who "don't understand your culture" .

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-restaurants-guns-butter-don-093000345.html

More Restaurants Say Guns and Butter Don’t Mix

Anyone can restrict guns from his private property, and that includes businesses. However, to enforce it, they have to have a prominent sign at every entrance door to that effect.

This is different from some business which "politely asks" that people don't bring guns. That's talking out of both sides of your mouth to keep everyone happy. You give lip service to a gun free zone but don't restrict them.

If you actually restricted guns from your business, you'd lose too many customers. I've never seen such a sign on a business.

My Glock is concealed. Concealed means concealed. Everyone's happy.

• Like 2

Violent crime is reported very differently in USA and EU/UK, Apples and pears wink.png

If I went by statistics. I would have said that the UK violent crime rate was 5 times higher than the US. I think it is fair to say that it is easily twice as high, no matter how you measure it.

You mis-understand the word "reported" ;)

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

What about the UK soldier who go his throat slit, just walking down the street?

The soldier was run down by a car first. Not much you can do to defend against that.

The police shot the two assailants at the scene.

• Like 2

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

They get knifed instead.

• Like 2

....... . The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

You might be badly wrong on that assumption.

Of the 147 mass shootings in the USA since 1982, 3/4 of the killers carried

a weapon legally!!!

Only about 1!! in 2 million school aged children between the age of 5 and 19

will die due to homicide at school each year in the United States.

As Barack Obama stated on the 10th of June, there have been an average of

1 shooting incident on school grounds per week since the Columbine shooting.

What he doesn't mention is that most of them are accidental discharges of

firearms,suicide attempts or teachers shooting themselves in their legs whilst

having a shit.

On average, of all the homicides and suicides of school aged children, less

than 1% die from homicides AND suicides at school, school events or on

the way to and from school.

So, you justify teachers carrying a weapon at school because there is a 0.0002%

chance of an incident at school?

Now let me put that in a different perspective. Out of, let's say, 2 million tourists

that visit Thailand each year, there must be at least 1 or 2 crocks between them.

Should Thailand now ban tourists all together to protect their population from bad

influences?

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 2

Violent crime is reported very differently in USA and EU/UK, Apples and pears wink.png

If I went by statistics. I would have said that the UK violent crime rate was 5 times higher than the US. I think it is fair to say that it is easily twice as high, no matter how you measure it.

You are making it up! More statements plucked out the air in a world of make believe. What statistics? What statistics put violent crime 5 times higher in the UK than the US? Oh and then you say, 'well it's fair to say the rime rate is easily twice as high'. You are obviously using some pretty robust statistics to come up with a figure of 5 times, that then changes to 2 times in the space of the same breath. You are making it up.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2