Question about laptop/tablet screen size vs resolution (Surface Pro 3)

mattk1

Hi guys,

I have a question for the more technically minded on here regarding laptop/tablet screen resolution versus screen size.

I am considering buying the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which has a 12" 2160 x 1440 resolution display.

I currently own an Acer which has a 15.6" screen and a resolution of 1366 x 768.

On my Acer machine I often have two programs running side by side on my screen, for example a web browser and a Word document and so the thing that is putting me off buying the Surface Pro 3 is the screen size but I was told that because it has a much higher resolution, it will display just as much, if not more, of the information on the screen as my 15.6" laptop.

Is this correct? I know there is a trade off between size and portability but I don't want to hinder my workflow with a screen that is too small to run two program's side by side on.

Would appreciate any input on this as the money is burning a hole in my pocket :-)

Thanks!

More information will be available on the Surface. Example: If you have a 640x480 window you can display just over 2 of these windows side by side on the 1366x768 Acer. With the surface you can display nearly 3.4 windows side by side. Of course things are going to be smaller and possibly a limit for some on the Surface but generally will be much sharper.

//edit - vertically with 640x480 window you can display 3 windows vertically on the Surface, 1.6 windows vertically on the Acer.

• Like 1

Tywais, thank you for your explanation, I understand a lot better now :-)

The review link is very insightful and to be honest I thought 7 hours battery life was good, but comparing it to some other models it is right in the middle, so it would seem.

Mind you, my Acer currently gives me a whopping 50 minutes of battery power so anything is an improvement! :-/

I'm tempted by the Pro 3 too. I still haven't made up my mind but one thing counting against buying one to use in Thailand is that, even in the US, if you drop it and crack the digitizer it's almost a throwaway. I think USD550 have it replaced. In Thailand that's likely to be worse if even possible.

Not trying to throw cold water on your plans but it has made me think twice.

• Like 1

Engadget review

Battery 7:08 hours, a bit on the low side.

Is that with the screen brightness turned right down, no applications and no network connections running?

Seems to me they all do that, I've never seen a laptop or tablet meet the supposed battery life when I'm watching movies or surfing on it.

biggrin.png

Added:

66059.png

Edited by Chicog

Having said that....

• Aug 25, 2014 9:14 AM
  • The Surface Pro 3 is a fantastic device when it's working properly, but a procession of crippling bugs are keeping many users from enjoying their high-end hardware.

Over the past few weeks, users on Microsoft's support website have complained of overheating in the Surface Pro 3. Fan noise becomes excessively loud, the tablets become too hot to handle, and in some cases the device shuts down completely with a temperature warning.

Affected users have put together a spreadsheet to collect all the complaints. The overheating problems seem to occur mainly in Core i7 versions of the Surface Pro 3, but a handful of Core i5 models appear on the spreadsheet as well. The user who started the comment thread says he's now gone through four Surface Pro 3 units, and every one has suffered from overheating.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597552/surface-pro-3-bugs-keep-coming-as-overheating-complaints-arise.html

Edited by Chicog

This is all very interesting stuff, I always wonder about these new devices and their ability to get rid of the heat they generate.

Heat is an important consideration given the climate here.

Despite this I still really want one, lol :-)

Edited by mattk1