Requirements for boarding AirAsia & flying into Don Mueang

I flew in from Singapore with AirAsia yesterday, and what I was told might be worth sharing here.

I am Canadian, and hold a double-entry tourist visa. When I checked in at the Air Asia check-in counter, I was told by the (courteous) staff that there were now two requirements:

1- An outbound ticket

2- This part surprised me: not an "I will receive a 30-day visa-exempt stamp", but an actual visa.

When I showed them my e-ticket to Cambodia, it seemed that this wasn't good enough. I pointed out that I held a double-entry visa and that I also had a second e-ticket, for Kathmandu, and then I was allowed to check-in for my flight.

At Don Mueang's immigration airport, the officer didn't seem convinced I was a genuine tourist, as I have previously been in Thailand with non-b visa and work permit. He looked around a few times for someone then asked me if I spoke Thai (I speak it fluently.) He asked me a few fair questions then stamped my passport with no further ado.

Edited by scavenger

Requirement is either outbound ticket for visa exempt entry or visa. If the checkin staff had checked their computer they would have seen that.

Thanks for sharing, but I believe this was simply an Air Asia checkin staff issue and not a general Air Asia policy, let alone an officially changed entry requirement.

.....well, what is the verdict?

.....I flew in from Kuala lumpur on a tourist visa to Chiang Mai, 2 months ago. Neither Air Asia, nor immigration, asked for a ticket out. I did buy one for a thousand baht (to Myanmar), but did not need it on either end. (Wasted Money)

Now will be converting to a 90 day O and subsequent retirement extension....that is why I did not want to buy a ticket out (am staying)

New stuff...Old Stuff?

Edited by slipperylobster

I went to Hong Kong a few years ago, for the second time. The first time was in 1990, under British rule.

The most recent time was, of course, under Chinese rule, and I was amazed at all the changes.

However, on the day we were leaving, at our arrival at the airport, I did the electronic machine check-in for us both for the return flight, but was accosted almost immediately by a Chinese employee (with poor English) of Air China (I am pretty sure) who we flew with. He demanded to see my passport, and told me that I didn't have a visa for Thailand so couldn't board. Thick idiot.

I showed him my valid for another 9 months visa and the re-entry permit, but he was adamant. So, then I told him it didn't matter if I didn't have a visa anyway, because I was eligible for a 30 day visa on arrival as I was a British citizen. No dice again. He really didn't get it.

I started to get really p!ssed off at him and we had to go through the rigmarole of explanation about 5 times.

Eventually I demanded he get his manager, to which his face fell. Initially he said, 'no need, no need', but I insisted. He made a phone call, there was a lot off yabbling in Chinese and he suddenly handed me back my passport and boarding pass and said 'OK, you go plane now'. Someone must have explained the visa requirements for Thailand to him, I hope harshly ...

I suspect that the airline needs to do some training with their ground staff. I can't remember now if it was Air China, or China Southern Airlines. I seem to recall it was Air China and the service was very good apart from that blip with the untrained or badly trained employee, who was pretty aggressive too.

Edited by Mister Fixit

I went to Hong Kong a few years ago, for the second time. The first time was in 1990, under British rule.

The most recent time was, of course, under Chinese rule, and I was amazed at all the changes.

However, on the day we were leaving, at our arrival at the airport, I did the electronic machine check-in for us both for the return flight, but was accosted almost immediately by a Chinese employee (with poor English) of Air China (I am pretty sure) who we flew with. He demanded to see my passport, and told me that I didn't have a visa for Thailand so couldn't board. Thick idiot.

I showed him my valid for another 9 months visa and the re-entry permit, but he was adamant. So, then I told him it didn't matter if I didn't have a visa anyway, because I was eligible for a 30 day visa on arrival as I was a British citizen. No dice again. He really didn't get it.

I started to get really p!ssed off at him and we had to go through the rigmarole of explanation about 5 times.

Eventually I demanded he get his manager, to which his face fell. Initially he said, 'no need, no need', but I insisted. He made a phone call, there was a lot off yabbling in Chinese and he suddenly handed me back my passport and boarding pass and said 'OK, you go plane now'. Someone must have explained the visa requirements for Thailand to him, I hope harshly ...

I suspect that the airline needs to do some training with their ground staff. I can't remember now if it was Air China, or China Southern Airlines. I seem to recall it was Air China and the service was very good apart from that blip with the untrained or badly trained employee, who was pretty aggressive too.

You missed the buying signal...Mister Fixit. This official, was waiting for you to say, I'm getting late for my flight, would you look after this 30 dollars and if you have sorted out the problem for the next time we meet, keep the change.

"So, then I told him it didn't matter if I didn't have a visa anyway, because I was eligible for a 30 day visa on arrival as I was a British citizen. No dice again. He really didn't get it. "

No, of course he did not get this, because for a visa exempt entry officially an onward flight ticket is required. So he was right about that.

I forgot to mention that this particular AirAsia counter staff did admit he found the Thai immigration situation confusing. And then I thought of the different "rules" that seem to be applied at different immigarion and embassy locations, according to numerous posts on this forum.

I didn't really buy what he said; I just thought it would suck if one missed a flight because of confusion and miscommunication, and posted here to see whether others came across similar situations. Glad to see it is not common.

• Like 1