"Do you feel more or less American as an American overseas?"

Tony125

*** This question was asked by a lady who runs an international site to those of us who subscribe, whats your answer? (can substitute Brit, German, whatever for American)

"Do you feel more or less American as an American overseas?"

I've been living outside the States for 17 years, and, to answer the question of the gentleman in the audience in Nashville a few weeks ago, I've never felt more like an American than I do today.

Living in the States (I lived in Baltimore, Maryland, for my first 35 years), we Americans take being American for granted. Every year since I left Baltimore, I've been more aware of my American-ness.

Thinking superficially, this is easy to understand. We lived in Ireland for seven years, long enough to acquire Irish passports even. But we're not Irish...not really.

We were in Paris for four years, and both our children think of that city as home. It's where our blended family bonded, where Jackson started school, and from where Kaitlin left our nest to start college. We still have the apartment where we four lived together. In storage there are plastic tubs containing old school report cards and gifts the kids made for me for Mother's Days. We love Paris and look forward to returning, but we're surely not French.

Here in Panama, where we've been living now for more than six years, as in Ireland and in Paris, we've put down roots. We have friends, our son is in school, and we're building a house on the beach at Los Islotesthat is part of our long-term plan. We're in Panama for the long haul...but we'll never be Panamanian.

No...we're American, from our accents to our Levi's.

And in less obvious ways, too.

When I sit down in a business meeting anywhere in the world, I'm the American at the table. I could be negotiating the cost of an apartment for sale in Buenos Aires, Argentina...considering a new business idea in Panama City, Panama...meeting with a new writer in Paris, France...or discussing residency visa options with an attorney in Medellin, Colombia. On the other end of the conversation is an Argentine, a Panamanian, a Frenchman, a Colombian...what have you. I'm the American. And to the table I bring the American perspective.

The longer I'm outside the States, the greater has grown my appreciation for what a unique thing that is. The rest of the world doesn't think like we Americans think. That's neither good nor bad. It just is. And it creates an opportunity.

I have the chance, every time I engage with some non-American anywhere in the world, to learn from his non-American ways...and to put my American ways to good use.

We Americans are the world's optimists. We believe in ourselves and in our collective ability to figure things out...to make things better...to make things work. We're dreamers...and wanderers. We value hard work, we like efficiency, and we pride ourselves on our willingness to act on opportunity when we perceive one.

What's over the next hill? Let's go find out. What could we do tomorrow that we didn't do today? Let's get up early in the morning and figure that out. How can we make this thing, this idea, this effort better? Let's roll up our sleeves and see where a little elbow grease leads us...

Those are American sentiments. Wherever we travel in the world, whoever we encounter, personally or in business, these are the attitudes that we bring to the table.

So, yes, living overseas I feel more American than ever. In a good way.
Kathleen Peddicord

americans make things better? plenty would disagree

The majority would agree, we disregard the rest.

the majority does not agree but americans dont have a clue what others think of them

I'm curious. Assuming that's true, how is that important? And I'm not looking for silly conjecture.

Do you have a clue as to what others think of you? Should we all be concerned about that?

americans make things better? plenty would disagree

The majority would agree, we disregard the rest.

Or the US bombs them into submission...

Not something I am particularly proud of as an American, nor your flippant disregard for anyone that is not American... coffee1.gif

...and your flippant disdain for anything that is.

Im American and Im proud of that fact. I really dont care who YOU are and as long as you are decent to me we will get along and have my respect. But that being said, there are many people who open their a.s.s. traps here that spew hatred who would never see the time of day in my world. The OP posted an article an interesting one at that, and out spews hate from the masses.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by 2fishin2
  • Like 2

When you're American and live in the USA, you're just you.

Recent immigrants might be more identified by their nationality, but you're not (except by them of course!).

Living abroad yes the first thing you are to the world is an American.

What does that mean?

That's a can of worms.

Am I expected to love to eat at McDonalds? Afraid not.

Am I expected to be Christian (yes people always seem to assume that)? Afraid not.

Am I expected to think that the USA is "Number One" in every human endeavor? Afraid not.

But there are times when I feel my "Americanism" (as I see it) seeping out here.

Such as a tendency to be critical of some local ways of doing things that seem ridiculous and inefficient.

Businesses doing things or more commonly NOT DOING THINGS that clearly inhibit their customer appeal ... and wanting to tell them what they could do to change that would probably help. At least I BELIEVE they would help (is that arrogance?). Especially businesses catering to foreigners.

I try to repress this impulse most of the time unless it's clear such input is welcome. Of course in Thailand it is mostly very UNWELCOME.

The question about whether there are generalities that can be made about national character of different nations is not a new question. I think that indeed there ARE some very rough generalities that can be made about all nationalities. Including Americans. Obviously often not true at all in individual cases.

To add a twist to this, even though living abroad you can't escape being seen as an American, I'm not so sure about perception upon REPATRIATION of long term expats. Talking to some less sophisticated Americans on my last trip to the USA it was made clear to me that to them (as I've been living away so long) I am not "REALLY" American anymore! It was almost like they thought I would have to apply as new immigrant or something. OMG.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

People can continue to feel American once they've left the country; but another way to look at this is "Do your family and friends back in the states talk/treat you the same way when you go back for visits?"

I work with a lot of expats and this is a frequent observation that after a year or two out of the country, long time childhood friends or cousins find it more difficult to relate with you.

While this may not diminish your feelings it will certainly be something to reflect on.

• Like 2

People can continue to feel American once they've left the country; but another way to look at this is "Do your family and friends back in the states talk/treat you the same way when you go back for visits?"

I work with a lot of expats and this is a frequent observation that after a year or two out of the country, long time childhood friends or cousins find it more difficult to relate with you.

While this may not diminish your feelings it will certainly be something to reflect on.

I'm on facebook with a bunch of guys I went to school with. They all got divorced and have new younger trophy wives in and out of the USA. We post photos of our new wives and sailboats and race cars. Seems the same to me. One old friend married an internationally known doctor another a college professor and a third a model/actress. We share stories of our new families and travels and adventures.

• Like 1

I have unlimited free calling back to USA and my friends can use same free calling to me here so basically talk to friends or relatives every day. They know I visited Thailand every year for over 13 years so they don't consider me anything but an American living in Thailand. Some have started visiting to see what the big deal is that drew me here. I enjoy living here I have homes in Thailand and Thai wife but will never feel Thai partly because Thai will always consider me a farang.

Don't know why so much anti American bashing on this site even from Brits, yeh we threw off your control of us but later asisted you in WW 1+2 even don't have any animosity to Germans or Japanese we had to fight thats in the past and if you think we have control of the idiot in Washington or his policies get a life! Its one of the reasons I left, too high taxes, cold weather (I lived in NorthEast) high cost of living . So yes wherever I go I'm the AMerican ---I'm not trying to control/influance your life and I am not responsible for Government policies.

Allow me to ask this question then, although a lot of the colonial cousins haven't lived in the US by their own choice why is it they feel obligated to bring the US into every discussion on TV, and start flying the flag even though in a lot of cases the topic under discussion has absolutely nothing to do with the US ?

I often wonder why they do this, if the US is so great that they feel its their patriot duty to impose the US into every discussion, why live in Thailand then ? Why not stay home and wave the flag to their hearts content among like minded people ?

I suppose now I will be accused of anti-american rhetoric as normal

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

I have unlimited free calling back to USA and my friends can use same free calling to me here so basically talk to friends or relatives every day. They know I visited Thailand every year for over 13 years so they don't consider me anything but an American living in Thailand. Some have started visiting to see what the big deal is that drew me here. I enjoy living here I have homes in Thailand and Thai wife but will never feel Thai partly because Thai will always consider me a farang.

Don't know why so much anti American bashing on this site even from Brits, yeh we threw off your control of us but later asisted you in WW 1+2 even don't have any animosity to Germans or Japanese we had to fight thats in the past and if you think we have control of the idiot in Washington or his policies get a life! Its one of the reasons I left, too high taxes, cold weather (I lived in NorthEast) high cost of living . So yes wherever I go I'm the AMerican ---I'm not trying to control/influance your life and I am not responsible for Government policies.

I think the colonial cousins get very confused between anti American comments (bashing) and getting the piss taken, very different things, granted there are anti US comments as there are anti British and anti every other nationality comments, but it does appear the US contingent can't differentiate between a light hearted piss take and genuine anti American comments and lump everything together as anti American

• Like 1

Please don't call us colonial cousins. It is very annoying and about as relevant as a hula hoop.

Thank you.

My case rests m'lud rolleyes.gif

As is injecting the US into every topic on TV dear boy wink.png

I realized fully you were TRYING to be humorous.

YOU FAILED.

Don't you get it?

That reference is just stupid and tired.

Please don't call us colonial cousins. It is very annoying and about as relevant as a hula hoop.

Thank you.

My case rests m'lud rolleyes.gif

As is injecting the US into every topic on TV dear boy wink.png

I realized fully you were TRYING to be humorous.

YOU FAILED.

Don't you get it?

That reference is just stupid and tired.

Q.E.D whistling.gif

• Like 1

More so it's possible you are now having trouble relating to THEM....and they sense it - you have grown in many ways including a "global" experience/education while they have remained static in their lifes path....not unlike someone that has upgraded themselves and no longer "fit" in with their past peer group - because they've simply out grown them....I am thankful I grew up in the era in the US...it was a more grounded/rewarding/gentler/optimistic /romantic/caring time....that no longer exists....there are still some very great things about the US....but I am here now and it's my responsibility to be the best "citizen" and husband/family member possible for those that I love and care about ..... one way or another it comes out - if you're from the US even in subtle ways they know (and are often interested/curious and ask) what you think about situations as they present themselves...if you answer honestly and explain your rationale fairly often they will accept and apply the logic/suggestion....one thing we are not good at sometimes is backing down....one thing we are great at is being punctual....they understand neither concept easily... fun isn't it ?

More so it's possible you are now having trouble relating to THEM....and they sense it - you have grown in many ways including a "global" experience/education while they have remained static in their lifes path....not unlike someone that has upgraded themselves and no longer "fit" in with their past peer group - because they've simply out grown them....I am thankful I grew up in the era in the US...it was a more grounded/rewarding/gentler/optimistic /romantic/caring time....that no longer exists....there are still some very great things about the US....but I am here now and it's my responsibility to be the best "citizen" and husband/family member possible for those that I love and care about ..... one way or another it comes out - if you're from the US even in subtle ways they know (and are often interested/curious and ask) what you think about situations as they present themselves...if you answer honestly and explain your rationale fairly often they will accept and apply the logic/suggestion....one thing we are not good at sometimes is backing down....one thing we are great at is being punctual....they understand neither concept easily... fun isn't it ?

Yes the growth/new experience aspect was what I was alluding to.

I've lived in Thailand for almost 25 years without returning to the USA and the only thing that I miss is the food. However, other than one token Englishman, all my close friends over here have always been Americans and most of the people that I've hung out with frequently have been too.

I still feel very American, but I am pretty sure that I would suffer severe culture shock if I ever went home.

I always claim to be Canadian.

Stating you are American to the surrounding proles, never does you any good.

I reserve that extreme option for situations when surrounded by or being served food by people with a fair likelihood of wanting to chop off my head or at least tamper with my food.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app