Sweden election: Social Democrats rule out far-right pact

webfact

Sweden election: Social Democrats rule out far-right pact

STOCKHOLM: -- The leader of Sweden's Social Democrats says he will try to form a government after their election win, but will not work with the far right.

Partial results show Stefan Lofven's opposition party are set to return to power, but with no clear majority.

They give the centre-left bloc 43.7%, ahead of the 39.3% for PM Fredrik Reinfeldt's Moderate Party. The far-right Sweden Democrats were at 13%.

Mr Reinfeldt conceded defeat and said he will step down as PM on Monday.

"The centre-left has more seats [in parliament] than our alliance," Mr Reinfeldt told his supporters. "So tomorrow I am going to hand in mine and my government's resignation."

He also confirmed that he would step down as leader of the conservative Moderate Party.

Mr Lofven said the country needed a "new direction" and faced major challenges after eight years of centre-right rule.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29195683

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-15

With the Social Democrats having only 43.7%, the party may not be in power beyond its first day in office. While it has no interest with a coalition with the far-right holding 13%, the Moderate Party can and with its own 39.3% gain majority and call for a vote of confidence. If the Social Democrats lose, the government is dissolved and a new election will take place. Arrogance gains little in politics.