Deposit account no longer can be used for visa extension.

Poorly titled threads like this do nothing for the FUD factor on TV, particularly at this point in time. My manager at Krung Thai in Pattaya is more than happy to type me up the letter needed for my trip to Jomtien later this week - in fact I've always been greeted with a smile and sincere attempts to help me with whatever I need to accomplish. My sole complaint is that the queues can be murder if you fluff the timing of your visit, but that's life.

I dont see anything wrong with the the thread. I see your reply has nothing to do with advice to the OP or constructive input. Just to demonstrate your close personal relationship with " your manager"

Geez.

Hello,

I have two deposit accounts with Kasikornbank Plc, Jomtien-Beach, one with THB 800'000.00 for Immigration only for one year and one with THB 50'000.00 to guarantee the Platinum Credit Card. No problems with two deposit accounts. Suggest you open a second deposit account with THB 50'000.00 with your own bank or with another bank for the credit card guarantee.

• Like 2

I'll need a letter next month. They've known me up there at the branch for more than a decade on a first name basis and I'm confident they won't spring this alleged new regulation on me......especially if it takes two months to cancel the card.

I'll need a letter next month. They've known me up there at the branch for more than a decade on a first name basis and I'm confident they won't spring this alleged new regulation on me......especially if it takes two months to cancel the card.

It is not a new regulation..if we are talking about cc secured by deposit, my experience was over 5 years ago, and one must admit it is logical.

Edited by DisparateDan

I thought it was a new regulation we were talking about. In that I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've had the credit card for about seven years and have had the same savings account ie a Be in it account with debit card.....and a Platinim credit card.The bank locks up 100K with a 50K credit limit.

I'm thinking that a "cc secured by deposit" account is something different.

I thought it was a new regulation we were talking about. In that I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've had the credit card for about seven years and have had the same savings account ie a Be in it account with debit card.....and a Platinim credit card.The bank locks up 100K with a 50K credit limit.

I'm thinking that a "cc secured by deposit" account is something different.

Methinks as log as your B800,000 is unencumbered you will be OK. Pls keep the forum advised.

Unbelievable bureaucratic unreasonable BS. What will you do now? What stamp did they give you? 7 days to leave?

By fluke I had another account to use but the cash had been in short term. It seemed ok though

If the account is to guarantee/backup for the credit card, then it is obviously not an account that allows unconditional withdrawl any time.

So its definitely not fit for an extension.

This topic would better be moved to the visa subforum.

"What type of account is Ok for extension" is a popular question.

I understand your logic but that is not how they sold the credit card deal. And for 6 years before all was fine then without warning everything changed Edited by alant

whistling.gif I am retired since 2010, and have done 3 extensions in that time.

Never heard that before, I have had a ATM/debit card since October 2010.

It is NOT a credit card it is a debit card and so far has been accepted.

My card is with Bangkok Bank and is a Be1st ATM/debit card.

I'm due to renew another extension in October, I'll see how that goes.

I have two accounts with the Bangkok Bank.

If you have your funds sent directly to Bangkok from the U.S. Social Security by direct deposit the social Security requires you to have a separate account to receive the direct deposit, and another account to use your ATM,debit card with.

This is not a bank ruling, it is a policy of the Social Security in the U.S. requirded for your security.

But I assume that is not what you are talking about?

Not quite, I have the atmosphere cards but they do not qualify for use in some circumstances (like hire a car) thanks though

The poop one has to wade thru to satisfy Thai immigration...just gets thicker...and more smelly...whatever happened to encouraging tourist and retirees...one must at some point ask the question...is Thailand really so wonderful...that I am willing to continually be assaulted by changing immigration policies which makes living here more difficult...or are there greener pastures elsewhere...?

The poop one has to wade thru to satisfy Thai immigration...just gets thicker...and more smelly...whatever happened to encouraging tourist and retirees...one must at some point ask the question...is Thailand really so wonderful...that I am willing to continually be assaulted by changing immigration policies which makes living here more difficult...or are there greener pastures elsewhere...?

There are some +ve's, Jomtien Immi told me, no longer need to fill out the 90 day report, just present passport. Let us be thankful for small mercies.

What about just opening a second bank account, funding it with say 100,000 baht, and using this for your credit card account? I am assuming that since you have at least 800,000 baht in the one account, that 100,000 baht in a second one should not be a problem, but I could be wrong on this. I would not blame the bank at this time. The junta is sending many orders to many agencies for changes, or simply to enforce the laws written a long time ago. The entire 800,000 baht always needed to be untouched, but available.

Your circumstances sound similar to mine.

If the limit on your BB cedit card is say 100,000 baht...you need a 100k fixed term deposit. I have one on 3 month term, but they wouldn't let me change it to a more lucrative 4 month term!

To qualify for an 'extension' (not visa), you have to show a balance of 800,000 for a standard retirement extension, seasoned for 3 months.

If your total fixed term deposit is under 900,000 baht, it isn't enough.

Fixed term deposits are in blocks, ie you could have 2-3 different amounts with different maturity dates.

A total balance of 900,001 baht, for the numbers above, should make them happy enough to issue the letter.

Somewhat pedantic isn't it!

Edited by jacko45k

When I visited the BB yesterday, I was told to return on the 2nd October when my current interest matures. I was also told that a new account for 100,000 BB credit card guarantee would be opened, with interest of 2.5% being paid over 11 months, with my 800,000 being placed in a 10 months 2.5% interest earning account over 10 months. This sounded reasonable to me. Thoughts anyone?

Simple remove the credit card from the account and open another with the credit card! The account is to be use only for your extension and if you need it, technical if they want... money can't be touch 3 months prior and after so why do you have the credit card attached so money can be removed by the bank if need to cover the credit card debt? Why take the chance? if the immigration guy got a hair up his ass on one of your visits?

Edited by thailand49

The basic point here, which a lot of posters are missing, is that bank deposits meant to satisfy Immigration's 800K for retirement extensions are supposed to be AVAILABLE funds.

If someone's account is reserving all or part of the 800,000 deposit as backing for a Thai credit card, then those funds presumably aren't freely available for withdrawal, and thus would not meet Immigration's requirements.

I can't say whether or not BKK Bank would have issued bank letters in that kind of situation in the past, or whether they're taking a more strict interpretation now. But Immigration themselves has for a long time taken the position that bank deposit funds must be available in order to count toward meeting their requirement.

Contrary to the title of the OP post, there is absolutely NO PROBLEM with using Thai bank deposit funds to meet Immigration's requirement -- unless those funds happen to also be on reserve to back up a Thai bank credit card.

• Like 2

I have had a savings account with Bangkok Bank for close to 10 years now, which I use as for my extensions on the basis of retirement. I have been thinking about asking them for a credit card and it seemed to me that if I did obtain one I would need to ensure that my balance was in excess of 800,000 baht PLUS whatever the limit on my credit card was for 3 months prior to the date on which I applied for my extension.Perhaps this was how the OP's problem arose?

I should perhaps ask them this question if I decide to obtain a card in which case it may be that I should open a second account with them purely to cover the balance on the account,

My past was that it is no longer possible for me and that it was sold to me that way. I agree no problem using bank deposit. There is the question of why a credit card ties up your funds but that would be off topic

• Like 1

What about getting a letter / affidavit of required funds from your Embassy - pointing to the same account? They may not object or even notice.

I always went the route of getting the letter from my Embassy, now I have a company and work permit here I just show them one month's confirmation of tax payment from my accountant.

SDM

PS Yes I did say one month !