Deposit account no longer can be used for visa extension.

I am sure you know the drill, to qualify for a visa you have to demonstrate you have income or money and get a letter from the bank to confirm that. I have for (many) years held the required sum on deposit with Bangkok bank. It earned interest and it also could be used as security for my Thai credit card (which as a foreigner is not really a credit card more of your amex style debit card but that is a different subject).

This year my request for a letter was met by the response "can't use the deposit account as it is reserved for the credit card". Calls to head office etc made no difference and the best I could get was for them to add the total sum I had in small print with a note saying why it could not be used.

"New regulations" I was told.

Has anyone else come up against this "new regulation"?

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative bank that does not operate this way should this new regulation be a bank regulation not a government one?

Having a Thai "credit card" has its advantages so I would like to maintain that facility if possible but not if it prevents my deposit being used as proof of funds for visa extension.

Change bank! Visiting a Bangkok Bank branch gives me the same feeling as visiting my local district office.

It wasn't until I changed that I realised how far behind the competition they really are - at least in retail banking. That was after suffering their bureaucracy for several years unfortunately.

It's true that they're a leading and successful bank in Thailand so the only conclusion I can come to is that they're not really interested in retail banking.

• Like 1

whistling.gif I am retired since 2010, and have done 3 extensions in that time.

Never heard that before, I have had a ATM/debit card since October 2010.

It is NOT a credit card it is a debit card and so far has been accepted.

My card is with Bangkok Bank and is a Be1st ATM/debit card.

I'm due to renew another extension in October, I'll see how that goes.

I have two accounts with the Bangkok Bank.

If you have your funds sent directly to Bangkok from the U.S. Social Security by direct deposit the social Security requires you to have a separate account to receive the direct deposit, and another account to use your ATM,debit card with.

This is not a bank ruling, it is a policy of the Social Security in the U.S. requirded for your security.

But I assume that is not what you are talking about?

• Like 1

I can not share this Bangkok Bank bashing.

I had no issues with them so far.

International transfers worked perfect.

At my branch, I only have to say "visa" and I get my letter for immigration.

10 posts and nothing about the basic question:

its an account setup for a credit card.

To my knowledge it is not suitable for extension of stay at immigration.

Strictly technical it is clear that the amount on the account could be charged by outstanding credit card transactions.

It will be necessary to separate that from the account for extension.

The account for extension could be a fixed deposit account earning interest (accepted at most immigration offices).

Yes, the immigrations ruling has been money in a savings account with unrestricted access to funds, other than interest penalty.

Fixed or restricted deposit accounts have not been acceptable in most cases. Nothing new, although in some cases they may not have taken note of the withdrawal restrictions before.

What about getting a letter / affidavit of required funds from your Embassy - pointing to the same account? They may not object or even notice.

Embassy affidavits are for income derived in the applicant's home country, not for bank balances, whether in or out of Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Strictly technical it is clear that the amount on the account could be charged by outstanding credit card transactions.

The account for extension could be a fixed deposit account earning interest (accepted at most immigration offices).

I think that the point here is not about whether or not this account is suitable for an extension of stay. It is about Bangkok Bank taking it upon themselves to make that decision.

They are a bank. That's all.

Also, if you've been using Bangkok Bank's excellent facility for transferring funds from American and British accounts via their New York and London branches respectively, please be aware that none of the other banks here offer a comparable facility. So you'll then be ripped off big time at both ends for SWIFT transfer fees.

The Bangkok Bank London transfer service looks good on paper but when you get down to the nitty-gritty it isnt really much better than many regular SWIFT transfers from other banks (mine charges the same GBP20), and is actually more expensive than some other UK banks/building societies.

Well, if there's a credit card attached to the account (which will be debited at the end of the month) you could use the following trick:

borrow 400K from somebody for 1 day.

Open a deposit account and put the 400K on it.

Ask for a credit card attached to the account.

Redraw the 400K with your credit card and give it back to the person you borrowed it from.

Your account statement would now say 400K, right?

While in reality you don't have any money.

So, it's kinda understandable they don't want to give you such a statement - or do I see that wrong?

I have a fixed deposit account with the Bangkok Bank, which I used last month to obtain my first extension of stay for the next 12 months. There was certainly no objection from the IO who accepted the letter obtained from the branch within CW. However, I can see the point of not including the account opened to guarantee a credit card. In fact I am obtaining such a card and opening such an account next month, with a separate 100,000 baht.

If the account is to guarantee/backup for the credit card, then it is obviously not an account that allows unconditional withdrawl any time.

So its definitely not fit for an extension.

This topic would better be moved to the visa subforum.

"What type of account is Ok for extension" is a popular question.

What does withdrawal have to do with it? The rules states B800,000 or B65,000 a month. Where does it say you must spend this money?

The (to me as an ex-banker) obvious solution would be to split the funds into two (or more) accounts. One would as now be tied to the credit card while the other would be tied to the visa, while any further accounts would be 'free' money. Not giving true credit cards to foreigners is not uncommon - I live in Cyprus and the same applies here. Exceptions may be made if the foreigner is working in BKK in a stable and well paid job but as most (non-working especially) foreigners rent rather than owning property. their 'links' to Thailand will always be much looser than those of a Thai.

I think its unreasonable to mortgage the same funds that you are using to show immigration that you have funds.

Mortgaged funds are not available. I reckon thats fair.

OP has been lucky so far.

Suggestion is reduce the limit on your card, use a separate account matching the limit of the credit card to the funds.

Then have an account just for the immigration funds.

Thats fair. I support the Banks attitude.

They could write on their statement that you have the funds mortgaged. Then when you get to immigration you get refused, leaving you the option of trying to bribe your way out or accept the 7 days to get out.

Regards

• Like 1

I think that the point here is not about whether or not this account is suitable for an extension of stay. It is about Bangkok Bank taking it upon themselves to make that decision.

They are a bank. That's all.

Yes and they receive notifications from Immigrations about what sort of accounts merit a letter to be sent in aid of extensions of stay. They may have been reminded about this in general or because immigrations have discovered that letters have been sent concerning accounts that don't qualify for that purpose in the past.

Bank managers are well aware of what is or isn't in line with Immigrations guidelines or, if not, they will be reminded directly or through notices sent out from their head office. If the manager had received instructions in the matter, you can hardly expect him/her to ignore them.

Well probably in Thailand you must have some kind of assurance for the credit card for obvious reason. You should either have a job, business or in your case your money in the bank. What you need to do is to either return the credit card or reduce the max credit to the level in which they do not have to keep all your money for security. You for example reduce the credit to 100 000 baht and then tell them to keep only 100 000 of your money in the bank as security.

• Like 1

Poorly titled threads like this do nothing for the FUD factor on TV, particularly at this point in time. My manager at Krung Thai in Pattaya is more than happy to type me up the letter needed for my trip to Jomtien later this week - in fact I've always been greeted with a smile and sincere attempts to help me with whatever I need to accomplish. My sole complaint is that the queues can be murder if you fluff the timing of your visit, but that's life.

The (to me as an ex-banker) obvious solution would be to split the funds into two (or more) accounts. One would as now be tied to the credit card while the other would be tied to the visa, while any further accounts would be 'free' money. Not giving true credit cards to foreigners is not uncommon - I live in Cyprus and the same applies here. Exceptions may be made if the foreigner is working in BKK in a stable and well paid job but as most (non-working especially) foreigners rent rather than owning property. their 'links' to Thailand will always be much looser than those of a Thai.

I'm an ex Barclays banker!

jb1

I fell into this trap. Some years ago when at BKK Bank, it was suggested to me that I get a credit card after I had been refused a loan using a second deposit account as security.

I said I did not need or use credit cards, but was persuaded that rather than redeem my 2nd deposit account ,less than B800,000, I could use the credit card/s.

I took 2 cards (free !) and I did know that they were secured by my long standing B800,000 deposit used over the years for retirement.

I never used them as I found amazingly, I could withdraw just a proportion of my second deposit, which I did. ( for some medical treatment).

So of to immi months later with my deposit book showing B800,000 for years. I'm not sure why I did not go for a letter from bank prior, but must have had my reasons.

You need a letter from the bank, just go downstairs (CW) and get one.

The bank would not/could not issue the crucial letter due to my deposit being used to guarantee B200,000. Which does seem logical.

I rushed over to BKK Bank head office and told them to cancel the cards immediately.

Takes two months I was told. What I will have to leave for 2 months and then try to re-establish my situation here.?

Happily there was a work around which as I remember kept me and some bank officers beyond closing time.

In conclusion I generally find it stressful to visit immi anytime, but this one took first prize. Lesson Learned.

Edited by DisparateDan

Many are missing the point. Since the accounts are linked. The main account is effected by the card.

In any statement of assests for loans etc, say in AU. The applicant must list savings and also any credit cards.

They ask for card balance but they also ask for limit. If savings is 30k and card limit is 30k you are regarded as zero balance, even if there is nothing on the card. This should not be the case with a debit card but things work in mystrtios ways here.

Open another account with smallish balance and obtain card for that bank.