What not to say in Thai - a Japanese textbook offends

webfact

What not to say in Thai - a Japanese textbook offends

BANGKOK: -- A textbook teaching naughty Thai vocabulary to Japanese learners provoked viral outrage in Thailand Monday.

The widely shared image of the book shows the Japanese translation of the Thai phrase "ai sat," equivalent to "douchebag" or "you <deleted>."

"Why do they need to teach these words? There are alternative expressions to show one’s anger," one user commented early Monday, as the post on dek-d.com had been shared more than 20,000 times.

Several comments requested the Ministry of Education regulate the content of the book, apparently published in Thailand, more strictly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/What-not-to-say-in-Thai--a-Japanese-textbook-offen-30243291.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-15

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Ketsu no anna or kommon as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

I;m just wondering why the Ministry of Education is asked to look into this. Wouldn't the Tourist Authority of Thailand be a better organisation to improve 'things' for visitors ?

"Thai culture and friendliness

All the words you may hear mubbled at you and what they mean"

• Like 2

Text Book / Ministry of Education?? Is this a book being used as part of a course at an educational institution or just some random book published by some random company for those wishing to purchase it and others wishing to ban it? Perhaps the publisher is the one doing the complaining hoping to drum up sales.

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Kommon no anna as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

Calling somebody the stinky hole that feces get ejaculated from would not be an insult? I actually thought there was a few Japanese words that covered this orifice when it came to insults.

Not quite sure how you would translate "douchebag" or "you ahole " into Japanese, neither words exist as an insult..... You of course could literally translate ahole Or Kommon no anna as it would be, but it would not really be an insult. Would be interested in seeing the translations.

Calling somebody the stinky hole that feces get ejaculated from would not be an insult? I actually thought there was a few Japanese words that covered this orifice when it came to insults.

The Japanese do a lot more with that hole than many realise!!!

• Like 1

well if there are please enlighten me..... I never found any or at least can't remember any from my decade in potty mouthed Hiroshima!

Of course they have insults but not that I am aware of based around this orifice.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

well if there are please enlighten me..... I never found any or at least can't remember any from my decade in potty mouthed Hiroshima!

Of course they have insults but not that I am aware of based around this orifice.

The Japs should have picked up something besides being in-human on the Burma Railroad.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Japs should have picked up something besides being in-human on the Burma Railroad.

I think they dd......... It's called radiation poisoning!

The Japanese do a lot more with that hole than many realise!!!

And the answer to this and many more Japanese mysteries, straight after this commercial break ... stay tuned....

People always learn the bad words first! Best way to learn a foreign language haha

oh yes.. very funny.. Easiest way to get stabbed or shot also, Thai's don't take insults lightly.

totster smile.png

But the rest of us do?

• Like 1