Thai campaign to urge crash helmets for motorcycle travels begins

webfact

Bringing schools into the equation isn't going to work. I could only imagine the uproar of the mothers at the school gate if they were told they have to buy a helmet.

My guess is the kids wouldn't be at school the next day, or the next etc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Thailand, it seems, drivers slip on the helmet when they see a police road block. They think of it as a free police pass. After 6 PM none of the locals wear helmets as the police stop work at this time and the danger has now gone home for dinner and boozing.

wai2.gif

That's part of the problem for sure. I don't know about other countries but in the UK they don't have checkpoints for this type of thing. Especially when it's always in the same place. Late yesterday afternoon I came past the local university and there was a checkpoint on the other side. All the riders coming towards me had helmets on because that's where the checkpoint was and most of those going my way weren't which is normal amongst the supposedly intelligent students.

The police need to do the same as other countries, catch them on the move either in marked or unmarked cars with video cameras. The technology is there but they just have to be prepared to learn fro other countries. They don't need to go on some all expenses trip either as there are enough traffic police reality shows on TV which will give them the idea. It's worth pointing out that properly made reliable equipment probably doesn't cost much more than a cheap Chinese copy plus a bribe.

The problem here is that laws are seen as something not to be bothered about. In other countries you know you'll probably get caught and it will cost you so it's going to take time and effort to change attitudes.

One last thing is corruption. The police need to be paid and trained properly. It seems as if bribes are part of the government's budget. They pay low wages so they can keep the taxes down but it's made up with bribes which they don't get blamed for. Now is a good time to change things as the government don't have to worry about losing votes.

i am happy to see most agree the school;s should or headmaster have some caring towards there students how to inforce

schools have system buy helmets let parent pay 20bht a month to pay off or give student one to wear and hand back when leaves school time finished and maybe learned to wear helmet

it would save govt hospitals ? on brain damaged kids and people 1000 fold

Make the schools responsible. Thousands of kids arrrive at school everyday on motorcycles (sometimes 3 or 4 on the same bike) no helmets, with many drivers well underage.

The schools should turn them away.

The police should stop them and fine them (their parents and/or guardians) heavily...say 5000baht!!! and even confiscate the bikes for 1 month.

That would bring instant results

Too much talk and no action!

Why 60% within 3 years? It should be 100% next week and could be if everyone does their job!

Agree with everything you say. I've always thought that fining the head of the school was another possibility. For every child caught without a helmet in the uniform of your school, the director pays a significant fine. They either pay it themselves or can put that onto the parents, or the child is suspended. ALL adults in positions of influence should take some, dare I say it....responsibility. In my school we've had kids coming to school on motorbikes and in Porsches. None of them were driving legally. My school thankfully took a stand, most have complied, some have been pulled from the school by rich parents, disgusted at being told what to do.

So the school Director is supposed to oversee every child leaving home in the morning? Are you kidding also?

No I'm not kidding, I'm making fair and reasonable suggestions as to how all adults can stop this problem. The school director can stand at the gate and pull each kid whose riding illegally. That's easy. Should it be his responsibility, no. It should be that of the parents but considering the parenting ability of some people here, educators can make a positive contribution to solving the problem. How about you making a positive contribution instead of dismissive comments?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i am happy to see most agree the school;s should or headmaster have some caring towards there students how to inforce

schools have system buy helmets let parent pay 20bht a month to pay off or give student one to wear and hand back when leaves school time finished and maybe learned to wear helmet

it would save govt hospitals ? on brain damaged kids and people 1000 fold

Agree with everything you say. I've always thought that fining the head of the school was another possibility. For every child caught without a helmet in the uniform of your school, the director pays a significant fine. They either pay it themselves or can put that onto the parents, or the child is suspended. ALL adults in positions of influence should take some, dare I say it....responsibility. In my school we've had kids coming to school on motorbikes and in Porsches. None of them were driving legally. My school thankfully took a stand, most have complied, some have been pulled from the school by rich parents, disgusted at being told what to do.

So the school Director is supposed to oversee every child leaving home in the morning? Are you kidding also?

No I'm not kidding, I'm making fair and reasonable suggestions as to how all adults can stop this problem. The school director can stand at the gate and pull each kid whose riding illegally. That's easy. Should it be his responsibility, no. It should be that of the parents but considering the parenting ability of some people here, educators can make a positive contribution to solving the problem. How about you making a positive contribution instead of dismissive comments?

As I said before bringing the schools into it simply would not work

"the school has no authority to do this but even if they did they would just either not go to school or put the helmet on just before they arrived to avoid the fine. Just like they do at police road blocks....

ONLY the police and a deterrent form of punishment will work e.g. 1000 Baht fine pick up the bike when you pay the fine, don't pick it up for 3 months sell the bike or destroy it if it is not road worthy."

What i wrong with the traffic police doing their job properly, fairly and consistently, is this just too hard?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here's a thought. Police stopping everyone not wearing helmet or with broken lights. Every time, instead of ignoring them. No need for campaigns.

Wow, imagine a Thai motorbike NOT riding the wrong way down the road at night with no headlight or taillight and actually wearing a helmet......the mind boggles.

This may be a generalisation, but the five primary factors in decreasing road fatalities, world wide, have been reduction in tolerance of driver intoxication, introduction of speed limits, seat belts, awareness of driver fatigue issues, and the use of helmets by (motor)cyclists. Of course, cars are safer, roads are better, and ER has improved since horses were the main form of transportation.

Helmets usually don't prevent injury, but they do decrease the severity of trauma to the head.

Of course they may feel uncomfortable, and muck-up your hair style. Given the carnage on the roads here (especially poorly back-lit motor bikes on major roads trying to execute a Rturn at night v. low-skilled car drivers in high-speed cars), I would be happy to donate money for shampoo/hair-gel and helmets for motorbike passengers, rather than see the grisly day-after evidence of motorbike v. car incidents. AA

How about Thais just obey the road rules simple, Like using their blinkers,stopping at red lights, and making sure law enforcement's are doing the same by obeying the rules, it wouldn't matter what you put in place if people don't obey the road rules it will never be safe on Thailand's roads.

This mindset should be embedded in them when they're at school, how many times have I driven past a school and seen so many young kids on motorcycles not wearing Helmets with three and four up on a motorcycle it ridiculous

THREE points I'd like to make.

1) In Vietnam, motorbikes are impounded for 48hrs if the drivers have no helmet. The bikes are released after a fine has been paid and they have a helmet with them

2) Ever noticed how often motorcyclists turn and look backwards, rather than use their mirrors. It only takes 2 seconds for someone in front to stop and pow!

3) What is is about NOT looking to the right before entering an intersection. Trust in a lucky charm maybe? Avoiding eye contact? w00t.gif

No 2. I always look over my shoulder after checking my mirror and signal before I change direction etc. maybe that can be seen as looking backwards.

No 2 is called a 'life-saver' in the UK. A quick glance to make sure no-one is overtaking you in your mirror's blind spot.

A very sensible thing to do and has saved me many a time when driving my bike here.

Here's a thought. Police stopping everyone not wearing helmet or with broken lights. Every time, instead of ignoring them. No need for campaigns.

Wow, imagine a Thai motorbike NOT riding the wrong way down the road at night with no headlight or taillight and actually wearing a helmet......the mind boggles.

I try not to drive at night, but it is truly amazing the number of m/bikes with no rear light, about 1 in 5. Often no headlight showing, but mostly obscured by the shopping in the basket, slap bang in the middle of the headlight. Great planning there!

Couple of things. Thai family just down the soi. Good job for hubby and wife, one child, very good English for both. Beautiful 14 yr old girl who would easily have a career as a model. Was talking with them one day and watched her drive off on her little Click. I commented: "You don't love your daughter much, do you?" Instant bristling by both who swore they loved her more than anything in the world. "No, you don't," I told them. "If you did, you wouldn't let a 14 yr old drive to school, and everywhere else when she isn't old enough for a license, and drive without a helmet." Got the usual responses about how good a driver she was, etc.

Exactly one week later she was killed when struck by a pick up from behind. Doctors said what killed her was the impact of the back of her head on the grill of the truck. At the funeral the parents turned on me, blaming me for the accident. I told them: "If you want to know who is responsible for her death, go home and look in the mirror," before turning and walking away. The parents moved away about 2 weeks later.

Second, here's an innovative way to get the cops to do their job. Set up CCTV in front of every school, trained on the cop directing traffic. At the end of the day have an official play it back, in slo-mo, and count the number of kids he let go past on bikes with no helmets. Fine him just 20 baht per kid. That would add up real fast, and you can bet he'd be enforcing the law the next day.

You are a total cretin.

The cause according to you was the girl being rear ended. THAT person is to blame.

Brainless comments like yours serve no purpose.

If you wish to be so high and mighty start fighting against the cause of accidents.

It takes me several, often exasperating, months to train a house keeper to keep my home the way I like it, for which reason I pay well and give paid holidays and vacations. Although mae ban occasionally makes the odd mistake, I roll with it because I am aware that all are not as infallible as I. However, there is one error I will not tolerate. The first day she arrives to work on her motorbike without a helmet will be her first day of unemployment. I do not leave my driveway in Isan without a helmet. Had I done otherwise, I would be posting from the grave. A full head helmet saved me from a concussion on a city street and decapitation at a railroad crossing.

Okay, so I'm not infallible. I make mistakes, too. Once. Twice, if you count getting married.

Why do you think you have a right to dictate to your staff what they do prior to arriving at work?

A helmet stopped a decapitation? Obviously did not stop you writing stupid remarks though!

it is a sad question to answer as many 1000ths children will be killed or vegetable who to blame police teacher

mum or dad all should have caring and love for children but no care i have many times seen police on bike drop

child at school both no helmet and mum and dad same now watch school teachers arrive same same

It takes me several, often exasperating, months to train a house keeper to keep my home the way I like it, for which reason I pay well and give paid holidays and vacations. Although mae ban occasionally makes the odd mistake, I roll with it because I am aware that all are not as infallible as I. However, there is one error I will not tolerate. The first day she arrives to work on her motorbike without a helmet will be her first day of unemployment.

Why do you think you have a right to dictate to your staff what they do prior to arriving at work?

He is just trying to do something that the government of Thailand may, almost certainly, have failed to do. Make his maid wear a helmet while motorcycling. He has made an investment in training the maid and if helmet wearing is made part of his terms of employment to which she agreed then I think he has done nothing wrong.

It takes me several, often exasperating, months to train a house keeper to keep my home the way I like it, for which reason I pay well and give paid holidays and vacations. Although mae ban occasionally makes the odd mistake, I roll with it because I am aware that all are not as infallible as I. However, there is one error I will not tolerate. The first day she arrives to work on her motorbike without a helmet will be her first day of unemployment.

He is just trying to do something that the government of Thailand may, almost certainly, have failed to do. Make his maid wear a helmet while motorcycling. He has made an investment in training the maid and if helmet wearing is made part of his terms of employment to which she agreed then I think he has done nothing wrong.

I respect your right to agree or not, but if i was working for anyone in any country i would obey work rules, prior to or after work is my business and i would pay no attention to an employers demands.

I had a business and 100's of staff over the years before. I would never dream of telling them what to do out of work time.

Where would it stop? Telling them how many meals to eat a day? What time to sleep? A persons private is just that, why on earth do people think they can own a person if they employe them, that is beyond my understanding.

I respect your right to agree or not, but if i was working for anyone in any country i would obey work rules, prior to or after work is my business and i would pay no attention to an employers demands.

I had a business and 100's of staff over the years before. I would never dream of telling them what to do out of work time.

Where would it stop? Telling them how many meals to eat a day? What time to sleep? A persons private is just that, why on earth do people think they can own a person if they employe them, that is beyond my understanding.

It stops at asking them to obey the law. Failure to obey the law could, not necessarily would, result in termination. I have signed work contracts that prohibited me working for any other company at the same time even if that extra working was done in my own free time away from the first company. I.E. the company owned me as far as employment was concerned 100%. They trained me, they gave me huge benefits and salary, they wanted me fresh for work each day, not tired because I'd been doing a second job. Nothing to do with law but perfectly fair I thought. Requested and agreed to. A CONTRACT. Binding by all parties. Nothing wrong in that. Nobody can force you to agree. If you don't like it don't sign.

How about a campaign to get the police to actually do policing?

I appreciate your motive is concern for the safety of others, but don't get too carried away there. Why would they selectively enforce the one law about helmets? Surely they should enforce all laws, such as those regarding alcohol sales and consumption; bar girls and prostitution; jaywalking etc? And then you may as well be living in one of those over-regulated tight-ass places like Dubai. Or Tel Aviv. The slack approach to law enforcement is one of Thailand's many endearing features.

How about a campaign to get the police to actually do policing?

I appreciate your motive is concern for the safety of others, but don't get too carried away there. Why would they selectively enforce the one law about helmets? Surely they should enforce all laws, such as those regarding alcohol sales and consumption; bar girls and prostitution; jaywalking etc? And then you may as well be living in one of those over-regulated tight-ass places like Dubai. Or Tel Aviv. The slack approach to law enforcement is one of Thailand's many endearing features.

You may have a point there but when it comes to endangering lives, especially the children, I'm not so convinced.

A more law abiding society would come about however with proper education and parenting. It's better to educate than enforce.

• 11 months later...

I come to Thailand for a long time every year and one thing that always get me is lack of people even farang Not wearing crash helmets !

why and how do they get away with it or are they so stupid. as they can get stopped and fined.

so how come so many disregard there life and the law ?

can they not afford a helmet . i know some have said the helmets sold in thailand are no good but at lest it would be start.

Frankly, its a matter for the individual.

One of the reasons I like living here is the freedom from the kind of interference one has to put up with in the west.

I wear a helmet most of the time but if other's don't that is a matter for them and/or their parents.

It's not as if the government of any country actually cares about their citizens it's simply a method of minimising the burden on the NHS but as there is no healthcare to speak of here . . it should be a matter of choice.

Edit: Also, you may not know that it is virtually illegal for a school, except private or international schools, to expel a student here!!!! Do a bit of research please.

Off-topic but DrLom's comment deserves a response.

I know at least two girls - one being my wife's niece - who've been expelled from their local government schools for getting pregnant in P3 & P4. In one case, the father of the baby was also a government school student, at a different school - he was expelled too. Neither girl was allowed to enrol at another school in the area and ended their education at that point, despite one being extremely intelligent & eager for knowledge. A real shame that her intelligence was wasted because of one stupid mistake which, but for a huge dose of luck, could happen to many (most?) high school students.

Since my wife's a teacher, she occasionally tells me of girls she or her colleagues know who've also been expelled. It seems to happen quite frequently for pregnancy, don't know whether the same is true of other reasons.

No doubt having a pregnant student at school reflects badly on that school whereas having a few students killed on the school run because they weren't encouraged to wear crash helmets isn't such an important issue.

THREE points I'd like to make.

1) In Vietnam, motorbikes are impounded for 48hrs if the drivers have no helmet. The bikes are released after a fine has been paid and they have a helmet with them

2) Ever noticed how often motorcyclists turn and look backwards, rather than use their mirrors. It only takes 2 seconds for someone in front to stop and pow!

3) What is is about NOT looking to the right before entering an intersection. Trust in a lucky charm maybe? Avoiding eye contact? alt=w00t.gif>

No 2. I always look over my shoulder after checking my mirror and signal before I change direction etc. maybe that can be seen as looking backwards.

Regarding number 2. I have been riding bikes almost every day for the past 32 years, all over the world. I was trained in the UK and one thing that is encouraged is what is called the "lifesaver". This encourages riders to quickly check over their shoulder before turning, rather than relying entirely on your mirrors, which on occasions can have blind spots. Also if you are following someone and intend to look over your shoulder you should have ensured there was plenty of time to stop before taking a quick look. Your point is silly.

You are more or less saying that I am not aware of what is going on around me, I am. and my post is not silly. If I change direction, I always look over my shoulder, either side, in case of the blind spot in my mirror before I change direction. If that is being silly, then I'll just carry on being silly, and, I was also trained in the UK.

Possum1931 - you've misunderstood AM's post. He's agreeing with you and his criticism ("Your point is silly") is of masuk's post Point (2). Of course, a rider should only take his eyes off the road for the lifesaver when he's sure there are no foreseeable hazards ahead for the few seconds he'll be looking behind. But if you can't use the lifesaver, stay put until you can use it.

The "lifesaver" an integral part of the basic UK motorcycle test and is emphasised even more in the advanced riding tests of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) and Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), whose riding techniques are based on the police advanced riding manual. Certainly at Advanced level, a test candidate would fail if they didn't use the lifesaver, no matter how much they also used their mirrors.