New in BKK - New Bank Acc / Credit Card / Home Transactions

Hi all,

I will be moving to bkk next month and I don't have a credit card here in my home country; just have the usual mastercard debit card for now.

so..if I get a credit card from my home country (even though my employer would help in opening up a salary account) and use it in TH would that be ok? should I expect deduction of taxes apart from the ones which occur when I pay credit card bills using my home country's bank issued CC ?

although I wouldn't really have a choice of which bank my employer opens an account with for me but which is the best bank in BKK if I want to open up a 2nd account ? taking into consideration that I will be transferring money from TH to parents in home country..so I would want hassle free transactions? and less taxes/deductions biggrin.png

please guide me I am new to the expat scene sad.png

Which country are you from? How long is your work in Thailand going to last for? Are you going to be paid in Thai baht or currency of your home country? Once you answer these questions, I may be able to give you more advice.

Which country are you from? How long is your work in Thailand going to last for? Are you going to be paid in Thai baht or currency of your home country? Once you answer these questions, I may be able to give you more advice.

hi :) thanks for replying.

am from India. I just got a new job in bkk so I guess I'll stick around for atleast* 2-4 years and I will be paid in bahts

To work in Thailand you will need a work permit first. Once obtained, and you have been working 3/6 months, with payslips etc, you will be able to obtain a Credit Card here with most banks, rather than in India. If you have an Indian CC and use it in Thailand you will be paying currency fees. My recommendation would be to obtain two cards - one in India, which you could probably get straight away, and another once you have been in Thailand for the required period - banks here vary, some say 3 months and others up to 6 months.

I have no experience of sending money from Thailand to my home country, only the other way round - UK to Thailand. I use Bangkok Bank for that as they have a London Office which is a far cheaper way of sending sterling to Thailand.

I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

To work in Thailand you will need a work permit first. Once obtained, and you have been working 3/6 months, with payslips etc, you will be able to obtain a Credit Card here with most banks, rather than in India. If you have an Indian CC and use it in Thailand you will be paying currency fees. My recommendation would be to obtain two cards - one in India, which you could probably get straight away, and another once you have been in Thailand for the required period - banks here vary, some say 3 months and others up to 6 months.

I have no experience of sending money from Thailand to my home country, only the other way round - UK to Thailand. I use Bangkok Bank for that as they have a London Office which is a far cheaper way of sending sterling to Thailand.

I hope this helps you.

thanks for replying again smile.png

yep..they'll be arranging me a work permit..

correct me if I am wrong:

First I will be getting a non-imig. B visa without this I/my employer cannot apply for a work permit and a work permit can only* be obtained/applied for when I am in TH and have the non-imig. B visa ?

Also, is there a minimum age, work exp. criteria? such as 25 years of age and 5 years of work exp.? to obtain/apply for a work permit and/or to stay longer than a year? acc to new regulations?

Edited by beerBear

Yes, you are correct about obtaining the Non-Immigrant B visa in India, and the work permit is applied for in Thailand once you arrive. The minimum age is usually 20 years of age, but to my knowledge you do not need to prove work experience. However, as your employer will be making the application, it won't hurt to include it within the application. Once your B Visa expires, about 30 days before expiry, you can go to the closest Immigration Office nearest to your employment and apply for an Extension of Stay for another year. And then obtain a new work permit.

Look up the main Visa and Work Permit area of Thai Visa for more information on this - UbonJoe is the best person to speak to.

• Like 1

If possible try to convince your employer (BTW why not do it yourself ?) to open an account with HSBC or Citibank. They have branches in both countries. If your Indian DEBIT card has a VISA sign you can also use it at any ATM here for withdrawal. (Never treied with Indian card but European and US, but I was told that if a VISA sign is there you may use it internationally. Another way would be to sign up with https://www.skrill.com (formerly moneybookers) while still in India, connect to your Indian bank account (or that of a family member) , and later open another Skrill account when in Thailand and connect that to your Thai bank account. In that way you can instantly send money online from Thailand to India. The transaction costs are good, but look out for the exchange rates.

But it's always good to have a second way of sending money international.

Bitcoin is another way but needs some skills.

More at http://www.jetglobalbusiness.com/moneytransfer/

• Like 1

Yes, you are right. I checked this. they had personal accounts also before but sold that business to KRUNGSRI Bank Thailand.

But HSBC is still a good choice in India and one should get support from Krungsri Bank in case anything goes wrong.

Yes, you are right. I checked this. they had personal accounts also before but sold that business to KRUNGSRI Bank Thailand.

But HSBC is still a good choice in India and one should get support from Krungsri Bank in case anything goes wrong.

hm...allright...but is HDFC available in BKK too?

Not as a bank, but they do have a Customer Services contact number - see under:

HDFC Bank Ltd-NRI Customer Services,
G3 Worldwide Mail Logistics (Thailand) Co. Ltd,
Bkk/Bom/120690/Th1,
PO Box 88
Klong Toey Post Office,
Klongtoey,
Bangkok 10111,
Thailand.

Not as a bank, but they do have a Customer Services contact number - see under:

HDFC Bank Ltd-NRI Customer Services,

G3 Worldwide Mail Logistics (Thailand) Co. Ltd,