Sodium Hydroxide (LYE)

DavidOxon

Isn't that what Thais always buy at the Thai markets (plastic shops) to put in the water tanks? I always see them buying these crystals - g/f included but she has never been able to find a good translation of what they are. A Thai friend said he thought it was lye in English but he wasn't 100% sure.

Isn't that what Thais always buy at the Thai markets (plastic shops) to put in the water tanks? I always see them buying these crystals - g/f included but she has never been able to find a good translation of what they are. A Thai friend said he thought it was lye in English but he wasn't 100% sure.

If it is, it might not be food grade.

Reagent grade is often purer than food grade but might contain stabilizers that could be a problem for human ingestion.

Might want to check into that.

What is OP using it for?

I believe that stabilizers are only used when chemical is sold in liquid form..

• 2 weeks later...

There is a chemical supply shop near the intersection of Suthep Road and Nimmanheimen Road. You would probably have to check the label specifications w.r.to heavy metals to determine whether the product conforms with "food grade". Usually, analytical reagent "A.R." grade specifications will be more stringent than food grade specs.

There is a chemical supply shop near the intersection of Suthep Road and Nimmanheimen Road. You would probably have to check the label specifications w.r.to heavy metals to determine whether the product conforms with "food grade". Usually, analytical reagent "A.R." grade specifications will be more stringent than food grade specs.

That's Union Science as discussed earlier in this thread.