Best place to go for tourist visa in Laos

I am in Bangkok and planning to go to Laos to get a tourist visa. I have a couple of questions regarding the differences between Savannakhet and

Vientiane:
  • Which place (if any) is most easy to get to without having to take a bus / minivan for more than ten minutes and what's the approximate cost train / plane
  • Which place is easier to get a visa. I would like to get the visa in person and not have an agent do it for me.
  • What's the travel time from BKK to each destination?

Thanks

Both cities are served by direct flights from Bangkok, although this option is not cheap. The flight to Savannakhet takes around 45 minutes. A cheaper way to fly, is to fly to Udon Thani and bus from there. Bus is also an option and is far cheaper but a long trip and not the safest way to travel. You could also take a train to Vientiene, but again this is slow.

Others can comment on the best place to get the visa. I would imagine it's less stressful and quicker in Savannakhet, as fewer people go there, however, Vientiene is a much larger city with more to see and do.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Both will require about an hour van ride to the bridge from the nearest airport.

For Vientiane you fly to Udon Thani then a van from the airport. Nok Air has fly/ride service to Vientiane via Udon.

Nok Air and Air Asia both have fly/ride service to Mukdaan via Nakhon Phanom. They stop at the bridge.

You can fly to Vientiane or Savannakhet direct from Bangkok. For Savannakhet Lao airways is the only choice. The lowest cost flights to Vientiane are on Lao Southern airways.

Train to Nong Kai is an option for Vientiane.

Bus to Mukdahan is the only land transport option for Savannahet.

Savannakhet are doing visas on the same date you apply at this time.