Foreign Property & Land Ownership

Hello All,

The Human Development Forum Foundation (HDFF), a Thai based NGO located in Bangkok, has undertaken the initiative to carry out various research projects concerning Thai matters, locally and internationally. We focus on issues related to human security, development, and ASEAN 2015.

I am part of a team conducting research for recommendations on foreign property & land ownership in Thailand. We are currently focusing on 3 areas surrounding the topic of ownership: private, corporate, and legal aspects. The intent is to map and forecast future outlooks based on past and current trends in local and foreign land use in Thailand.

I would greatly appreciate it if we could get the perspective of Thai Visa members, active in this forum and on this thread, who are foreign property and land owners. The questionnaires are attached and can also be found via the link below.

All responses will be kept in the strictest confidentiality and remain absolutely anonymous. All questionnaires can be directed to: [email protected] or [email protected] -- Additionally, any concerns, questions, or inquiries related to this post can be directed to the above individuals as well.

Please look on our website for more information, background history, and access to the questionnaires: http://hdff.org/hdri/foreign-land-ownership-in-thailand-2014-2015-study/

Again, we greatly appreciate your reply and participation in this research. Thank you very much.

Corporate Questionnaire.pdf

Individual Private Questionnaire.pdf

Questionnaire for Lawyers.pdf

Welcome to TV terry011,

I''m surprised that no one has replied to you by now, maybe if this was in General it would be a few pages long.

I read with interest your OP and thinking maybe I've missed something these passed years with regards to foreigners and land ownership, so i opened the Individual Private Questionnaire with interest. whistling.gif

Q3) Ownership of Land

a)Owner of the land in Thailand? If yes, how large is this piece of land approx (rai/hectares)?

Do they measure land in hectares in Thailand?

b)Who owns the land, the foreigner or a Thai national?

I didn't bother reading any further coffee1.gif

Edited by Boycie

a)Owner of the land in Thailand? If yes, how large is this piece of land approx (rai/hectares)?

Given that there is a direct equivalence between the two I dont see that it makes much difference which you measure it in.

Ask me the size of my condo and I will reply in sqm not in tarang wa. And I suspect that many Americans would reply in sq ft. You generally use the measurement that you feel most comfortable with.

Welcome to TV terry011,

I''m surprised that no one has replied to you by now, maybe if this was in General it would be a few pages long.

I read with interest your OP and thinking maybe I've missed something these passed years with regards to foreigners and land ownership, so i opened the Individual Private Questionnaire with interest. whistling.gif

Q3) Ownership of Land

b)Who owns the land, the foreigner or a Thai national?

I didn't bother reading any further coffee1.gif

One rai is 1,600 sqm. Thais use rai. Do your own conversion.

Most foreigners are owning land in Thailand through local nominees, which is illegal. Thus, the answer to the question on land ownership is top secret.

this is very interesting... i thought the law was clear on this... are you asking foreigners to state in writing that they somehow own land?

from website:

"Foreign Land Ownership in Thailand 2014-2015 Study

As the Kingdom continues to grow economically and become increasingly integrated in the ASEAN Community 2015, as well as global economic communities, the Royal Thai Government has recognized the need to reevaluate its policies regarding foreign land ownership and use. Changes in the economic climate of ASEAN and the world have served as the catalyst for creating an atmosphere that will encourage greater foreign investment, permit more inclusive, reciprocal, and equitable international economic partnerships, and increase foreign industry confidence in the security and protection of their assets and operations in the Kingdom. As a result, the Royal Thai Government has authorized this study as a first step toward making policy changes which include reviewing policies, practices, and attitudes on the foreign use and ownership of land in Thailand."

This could be big news if this web site is proved to be authentic. I am not sure why this is not on the front page somewhere.

Edited by NCC1701A