Tesla

MZurf

"Not over-engineered" that's an understatement but truer words were never spoken, and not in a good way..

Not really sure what that means, but we're both responding to a guy comparing "British" to "German" cars, that doesn't even know that Rolls Royce is BMW wink.png

Ignorance is a bliss.

Well aware of who owns Rolls Royce today. If you have to resort to putting words in to people's mouths, you're better off just staying out of the discussion.

A vast majority of Rolls Royce around the world are pre-BMW therefore are not German.

"Not over-engineered" that's an understatement but truer words were never spoken, and not in a good way..

Not really sure what that means, but we're both responding to a guy comparing "British" to "German" cars, that doesn't even know that Rolls Royce is BMW wink.png

Ignorance is a bliss.

Well aware of who owns Rolls Royce today. If you have to resort to putting words in to people's mouths, you're better off just staying out of the discussion.

A vast majority of Rolls Royce around the world are pre-BMW therefore are not German.

Before BMW, they were owned by VW though. They've been German for 16 years ;)

• Like 1

Before BMW, they were owned by VW though. They've been German for 16 years wink.png

Rolls Royce has been around since 1906. The German ownership of Rolls Royce is still very recent. 1906-1998, it was a British brand so my point is accurate when I say that the vast majority of Rolls Royce on the road today throughout the world are pre-German ownership of the brand.

Thanks for drifting this discussion off topic.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

Ignorance is a bliss.

Before BMW, they were owned by VW though. They've been German for 16 years wink.png

They just can't let go..

What facts?

You haven't brought anything to the discussion that I didn't know already.

Just for the record, you're fighting with me, I'm not fighting with you smile.png

I just found your assertion that Rolls Royce is a much simpler car than a BMW quite an odd statement :P

Seeing as I haven't yet bought any facts to the conversation, I'll give it a try. In Europe, the average age of cars on the road is 7-8 years. In the US it's 10. I think you'll find it difficult to find a country where the average age is 16+ years.

Edited by IMHO

good lookin machine.

Will it make it here

Maybe as a grey import

receive any tax breaks?

Not a chance.

is already here. around 12 mio bath. http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/newvehicles/i/i8/2013/showroom/index.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw14mhBRC0vdSNkI2l7CASJAC8OFS0TapI1lyjfZN1iVPDzjhGYisVEljsgw2_HjBHFwCpxhoClc3w_wcB

Wow am surprised, but good to see car companies starting to bring decent models (other than the bread and butter offerings)into Thailand officially.

Amusing to see it is priced at 8 million more here than the USA........ guess that answers the question about tax breaks then !!!

Isn't there usually around 300+% tax on cars over 220 hp and a certain size engine. Seems they are getting quite a nice break at 12 mil.

Here's an interesting article about it from the UK and the pricing there:

>>But there are now examples on used car websites with between one and 250 miles going for £139,995.

“It’s a sellers’ market,” said Tim Marlow from Magnitude Finance. “Some dealers are now pricing them in the region of £150,000.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/bmw/11116660/BMW-i8-price-shock.html

Nice break is relative though isn't it? Those standards are supposed to be applied to conventional cars due to poorer consumption ratings and output, these are anything but conventional and in theory should be given a substantial tax break, what I do like though is that the taxes are applied across the board and these high dollar vehicles which not everyone can own anyway are costing those who can own them their fair share instead of once again getting a huge windfall and a really nice car as so often happens elsewhere.

I'll bust out on a tangent since now we have BMW, electric and "engineered" in this thread. How about that new BMW i8? Will it make it here and receive any tax breaks? Looks to be a nice ride.

BMW i8 is still limited in production. BMW Thailand got 10 cars for this year. They are sold out and are in backorder. They do receive tax breaks, as other hybrids like the 335iH (Active Hybrid 3), but the factory price of an i8 is very high, so the sales price is around 11 million (if I remember correctly).

i8_thonglor.jpg

BMW i8 on Thong Lo last week :)

Edited by mortenaa

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a high end luxury car in Thailand, you're better off with Lexus LS-460. Same same as Toyota but different.

Under the skin it has the same shared parts with other Toyotas sold here in Thailand with a huge parts an technican support newtwork.

Which parts of the LS460 do you reckon are shared with Toyota badged models sold in Thailand? Certainly not the engine, not the transmission, not the suspension, not the running gear, not the body, not the interior fittings, not the trim. Doesn't leave much else.

Rolls Royce and Jaguars believe it or not are very simple cars. Very fine cars indeed but are not over-engineered like the high-end German cars.

BMWs after their warranty expires can be a real headache to own. Even back in the US where they have a huge service network, many become garage queens an money pits. Probably better to go with a Porsche instead.

No, don't believe it, but then you think Lexus cars are the same as Toyotas sold in Thailand.

Ignorance is a bliss.

So you're comparing old Rolls' and Jags with new BMWs? That makes little sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the Tesla would be useful in Thailand. smile.png

The Tesla Model S Is So Safe It Broke the Crash-Testing Gear

The Tesla Model S may be the safest vehicle ever tested by the feds. So safe, in fact, that according to the automaker, the all-electric sedan broke the testing equipment at an independent commercial facility.

Most cars get five stars in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s frontal crash protection test and four stars for side impact protection. But the Model S aced them all: front, side, pole, and rollover. And Tesla adds in its announcement that during a previous roof crush test used during validation, the machine failed while applying more than 4 G’s of pressure — the same as stacking four of the electric sedans on top of the car without the roof breaking.

When NHTSA added up all the scores, it totaled a combined five stars across the board — one of the highest ever recorded for a production vehicle.

More here - http://www.wired.com/2013/08/tesla-model-s-crash-test/

• Like 1

If you do the math this car is 60% cheaper to run than a gasoline car. Free if you conjure up 80kw of energy to power it from solar.

This is a brilliant car and i wish i owned one thumbsup.gif

With the advancements of the bloom box and IBM solar chip you can expect this a reality soon.

It is brilliant but I prefer the BMW myself, it's in the same general price range, what's few thousand more give or take when you get up into that range of money. There is one drives around here and it's a handsome car no doubt, unfortunately I always see at the light never rolling so no way to listen or have a look at it in real time so far. I saw a report the other day where Tesla lost law suit to sell in Detroit directly instead of through a middle man dealership arrangement, that's the big boys throwing the gauntlet hope it doesn't take hold.

As Mutch use as an Electric Airplane. Fine technical exercise though..sad.png

Bit off topic but don't discount them. There are others on the drawing board including Airbus.

8C8E005F-59D4-43C1-81F71079A509366A_arti

"Impossible" Electric Airplane Takes Flight"

The Berlin Air Show witnessed a silent, clean test flight by Airbus's E-Fan two-seater aircraft, which is entirely propelled by electricity.
  • Like 1