Norwegian killed in motorcycle accident in Bangkok

webfact

Norwegian killed in motorcycle accident in Bangkok

Roland-Dobbins.jpg
Motorcyclists in Bangkok. Photo: Roland Dobbins @ WikiCommons

BANGKOK: -- A 52 year old Norwegian for man from Steinkjer Norway lost his life in a motorcycle accident this Saturday.

Local Norwegian newspaper Tronder Avisa has been in contact with the brother of the victim, and according to him the information about the accident has been sparse.

“We were told that there has been a collision between two persons, that my brother was driving a motorcycle and that he wasn’t the cause of the accident,” the brother tells Tronder Avisa.

According to NTB, a Norwegian news bureau, the Norwegian Foreign Ministry confirms the death occurred in connection with an accident Saturday the 13th of September.

Source: http://scandasia.com/norwegian-killed-in-motorcycle-accident-in-bangkok/

-- ScandAsia 2014-09-17

xRoland-Dobbins.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M4U978_

Mine's bigger than yours! Jesus wept, looks like the start of a Grand-pricks

Shoe-maker at the front, of course.

Is there a motor cycle lane ??? note-how many are over the stop line, how many are on the Z crossing ? They have to be at the front--Thai mentality--same at 7-11 shops.

extreme right of picture-who can possibly turn left. no left turn lane ??? traffic police ?? no they have a helmet check 200 meters down the road.

• Like 2

Is there a motor cycle lane ??? note-how many are over the stop line, how many are on the Z crossing ? They have to be at the front--Thai mentality--same at 7-11 shops.

From what I have seen - foreigners on motorcycles behave no differently in traffic here

Adopt the local habits very quickly

I have ridden here for 5 years and I can confirm that is true. The unfortunate truth is that sitting out the front whilst waiting at the lights is a good defensive measure. Drivers are always jostling once they get moving and this causes a LOT of problems for motorcyclists.

The m/cyclists who pull in front of me at lights etc tend not to move off too smoothly, can be shaky to say the least and are a danger to themselves because of the uncertainty as to what they will do next.

It would be sensible for them to stay to the nearside away fro faster traffic but when does sense come into it and as ginjag says they HAVE TO be first.

• Like 1

From what I have seen - foreigners on motorcycles behave no differently in traffic here

I have ridden here for 5 years and I can confirm that is true. The unfortunate truth is that sitting out the front whilst waiting at the lights is a good defensive measure. Drivers are always jostling once they get moving and this causes a LOT of problems for motorcyclists.

The m/cyclists who pull in front of me at lights etc tend not to move off too smoothly, can be shaky to say the least and are a danger to themselves because of the uncertainty as to what they will do next.

It would be sensible for them to stay to the nearside away fro faster traffic but when does sense come into it and as ginjag says they HAVE TO be first.

Agreed, but then again that is true of the cars I get stuck behind. Truth is that every person out there has to be viewed with suspicion. There are good drivers but you can't take any chances!

• Like 2

After numerous near misses and 3 collisions I gave my bike up. The way you have to ride here is crazy. Better to take the bus and be stuck in traffic for an extra few minutes than be dead.

The way you have to ride here is assertive. You must always be placing yourself in positions that afford you most options. Funny enough I have a friend who rides a bicycle here and we tend to view each others' activities with equal suspicion!

• Like 1

If I ride the same way I do in the Uk i would still be stuck in traffic.Yes,the only way to ride a m/c in thailand is similar to all the other riders here,but that doesn't include the crazy and stupid things some of them do.Assertive,confident, and ever watchful is the way.Everyone else is a potential hazard and often are.12 years of driving here and many many near misses but never come off yet.

Entirely agree.....however I've been off 3 times....all slow speed, all impatience on my behalf.

What I can not quite fathom is how a foreign national can loose his life in a traffic accident and yet in this day and age of mega speed communications,96 hours after the accident little is known.

Or is it that they simply do not find it important.

Unfortunately this is a shocking daily occurrence in major cities, I drive daily with a car in a major city with heavy traffic and the motorbike drivers ... male, female, foreigners (including farangs) cause many problems in terms of dangerously strange traffic activity.

As is known, several thousand motorbike drivers get killed yearly here in traffic due to their incompatible driving activity.

• Like 1

If the other person was a Thai guess who is responsible even if he wasn't ?

If the other person was Thai guess who the Thai Visa Kangaroo court will blame without any other knowledge of the event.

Odd that so many prisoners incarcerated in Thailand are Thai. According to the sages here at TV, they're never charged by the police, or if charged they're never found guilty by the courts or if found guilty they never go to prison. Who are all those people who've been locked up?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

xRoland-Dobbins.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M4U978_

Mine's bigger than yours! Jesus wept, looks like the start of a Grand-pricks

Shoe-maker at the front, of course.

extreme right of picture-who can possibly turn left. no left turn lane ??? traffic police ?? no they have a helmet check 200 meters down the road.

Chill. Who cares where they are.

• Like 2

If the other person was Thai guess who the Thai Visa Kangaroo court will blame without any other knowledge of the event.

Odd that so many prisoners incarcerated in Thailand are Thai. According to the sages here at TV, they're never charged by the police, or if charged they're never found guilty by the courts or if found guilty they never go to prison. Who are all those people who've been locked up?

Who is talking about going to prison ? No need to be so defensive but I would think you've never been involved in a situation with a Thai driver and the BIB.

• Like 1

Safety Tips Defensive Driving and don't hire any motorcycles in Bangkok. Unless you have a full bike licence do not hire big bikes or you could end up like the Russian

boy a few months ago, he hit a lamp post and was cut in two.

Not true.

I've had two experiences with accidents and Thai drivers, both times I was hit and hurt. Both times the other driver was at fault and no one questioned that.

In one case the Thai diver was terrified that nobody would listen to him because he was Thai. Funny how it's opposite what we think sometimes.

The second was a more serious accident. I was hit by a car driven by a Thai driver. When it happened the Thai driver was right to the hospital to pay. Later had a meeting with the police, the police asked if 30,000 was ok with me, it was. That money caused that family a lot of pain but there was no doubt they wanted to do the right thing.

• Like 1