British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Thank goodness for that, for a moment there I thought you were going to cite a real and useful newspaper, not one that comes with perforation strips in it for after use!

he was on thai tv as well man

he said something about being pretty and wearing bikini, and then he said if u ugly u dont need to worry about

and he said they need look in to tourists behavior

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-bikinis-9737016.html

He's absolutely correct, many tourists do need to look at their own behavior when they come here on holiday, anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand the complete picture.

And please, I posted that same link earlier, you clearly haven't read it, slowly.

It's doesnt excuse the brutal manner in which they died, I've read a lot of your comments in another thread, you're quite the apologist aren't you?

But let talk about the behaviour of tourists then shall we, having been one myself quite often, when you have a culture and society within a country that openly encourages promiscuality, drunkeness, and sex in the bucket load, then you cannot turn around and say "Ah but the tourists should know better" ..

Yeah take a walk down Bangla road, and Walking Street and see who's doing the promoting of cheap drink, and sex.. Pot and kettle spring to mind here.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's doesnt excuse the brutal manner in which they died, I've read a lot of your comments in another thread, you're quite the apologist aren't you?

But let talk about the behaviour of tourists then shall we, having been one myself quite often, when you have a culture and society within a country that openly encourages promiscuality, drunkeness, and sex in the bucket load, then you cannot turn around and say "Ah but the tourists should know better" ..

Yeah take a walk down Bangla road, and Walking Street and see who's doing the promoting of cheap drink, and sex.. Pot and kettle spring to mind here.

How can I even begin to have a serious discussion with you on the points you raised? You've vacationed here from time to time in Pattaya, Phuket and probably Issan, with all due respect, your post confirms that you understand nothing about Thailand that is meaningful.

Good bye and Next.

the PM may have done more to hurt future tourism that any brutal murder, suggesting that females in bikinis have no right to feel safe in Thailand,

that comment is going to make headlines everywhere, and the expression on his face of the picture they are using, in his military uniform will do serious damage to thailands british female tourist trade,

there are no american females I am aware of that ever say that Thailand is a place they want to go

Edited by SteveFong
  • Like 2

I'm confused

Police identified the British back packer as Christopher Alanvare.
Police said they arrested him after employees of a resort on the beach told police that Mr Christopher was seen strolling near the scene where the two British tourists were killed on the night of September 14.
Besides they also found a significant evidence which is a blood stain on his clothes.
Police said Christopher urgently left the popular diving paradise on the first ferry to the mainland the next day after the murder was discovered.

So where was this fellow arrested? How were they able to identify him? So he caught the first boat out (as did probably 100 other people). Did they manage to catch up with him on the mainland? Was he so dumb as to not ditch the bloodstained clothes?

hhmmmmmmmm.......

If the blood on the british suspects turns out to be his own then it more or less exonerates him.

Semen to me seems the biggest clue.

How many deposits were there?

Even assuming the male victim might be responsible for one/none several deposits (3) strongly implies more than one attacker.

Even the crime scene suggests it.

I doubt Thai men would because of rejection of advance, successfully organise a possie of such deadly nature.

But it may have just be an intended beating at first.?

If so it will Kill tourism there for years.

The Authorities can not convict publicly perpetrators who are vicious male Thai locals.

They will simply kill them at a later time one by one .

Eg one shot - one goes missing - one found in a garbage bin.

Others will get the message .

Meanwhile a Patsy would suffice.

But lets consider the crime.

It was likely the murderers were under some influence of strong drugs or intoxicated greatly.

It seems highly unlikely one male did all this.

It will be interesting to see if semen samples come back and are all from one male.

This is the Thais police biggest hurdle.

A single male depositing three amounts?

Your speculation is very wide of the realms of reality in Thailand.

Posses of students shoot and beat each other in broad daylight on public buses in Bangkok. Why is it probable people were on drugs. Gang thug mentality all over the world gets people to do horrific things.

And as for believing refusing advances wouldn't lead to a posse, this is shown in Thai soap operas every day. A woman refusing a mans advances is worse than a woman scorned. This can enrage a Thai male to a level few farangs can imagine.

• Like 1

If you live in thailand along time you would know. A gardener in thailand (any nationality)never,never, leaves their tools out afterwork.they are always cleaned and put away. The hoe was not a random object found on the ground.

If you live in Thailand along time you would know. A gardener in Thailand (any nationality) never,never, leaves their tools out after killing someone. They are always cleaned and put away... UNLESS, of course, they were drunk. The hoe WAS (with reference to the likely drunken native, who wanted a "piece of the action") a random object found on the ground.

Why not go to the area work sites and and ask around, "Anyone missing a hoe?"

Am I overreaching? No more than the ex-NASA chimps pissing on and around the crime scene at present.

the PM may have done more to hurt future tourism that any brutal murder, suggesting that females in bikinis have no right to feel safe in Thailand,

that comment is going to make headlines everywhere, and the expression on his face of the picture they are using, in his military uniform will do serious damage to thailands british female tourist trade,

there are no american females I am aware of that ever say that Thailand is a place they want to go

How do you explain the American females that are in Koh Tao? I think they might have a different opinion than yours.

I was on a course there 8 weeks ago, it was like the league of Nations with young women, from 18-30 partying most nights and then the nights of the Koh Tao famour pub crawl, even more, most so drunk they couldn't stand properly, with "buckets" for sale every 2-3 M's..

If that's not promoting poor behavior from tourists as some have intimated, then what causes them to behave in such a manner?

Oh and I've seen the same behaviour in Spain and other tourist destinations all over the world too, it's not unique to Thailand.

• Like 1

"I asked Police chief Kiattipong Khawsamang if killer was still on the island. He replied: “It's difficult to say.”"

Dozens more police are now on the scene ... many wearing body armour. Still very relaxed atmosphere if the killer is still on the island.

Edited by mataleo

Well that explains the crimes of violence against Western women in Thailand (their lack of repsect for very Thailand's conservative values).

Now can you brainiacs please explain all the violence against Thai women in Thailand? You know, like the Thai girl who was raped by those ten boys in a classroom of her school earlier this year? What did she do to deserve it? Which rules of conservatism did she violate?

What kind of biased nonsense is that? Don't act as we hold a moral high ground. We don't. As bad as it gets. You can argue that most of those guys were/are of Pakistani origin. That doesn't change the fact that the British police abysmally failed. It would be wise if you stopped generalizing and simply accept the fact that rape happens everywhere regardless of the country or nationality. It's not exclusively Thai thing, is it? Don't be narrow-minded.

Police Treated British Rape Victims Like ‘Stupid, Naughty’ Girls
A sex abuse investigation in Britain raises difficult questions of race and child protection.
LONDON, UK — There was the 12-year-old beaten and burned before her illegal abortion. The intoxicated 13-year-old girl arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, while the men with her were released. Two different fathers who stormed houses in search of their teenage daughters, only to be arrested and the girls left with their rapists.

A major UK newspaper investigation and subsequent inquiries have uncovered sexual exploitation crimes of historic scope in Britain, and repeated refusals of police and child protection agencies to act on reports that something was wrong.

For the last 15 years, organized groups of men have been grooming and sexually abusing girls in northern and central England cities.

Girls as young as 11 were targeted in shopping malls, town plazas and other public places by older teenagers or adult men, who purchased their trust and affection with attention, car rides, gifts and alcohol.

“Some say focusing on the men’s race obscured that they were just as much a product of Britain as the girls they raped.”

Once they had established what the girl believed was a relationship, the requests began: If you loved me, you’d sleep with my best friend. Or my uncle. Or this stranger. Sometimes men received payment for use of the girls’ bodies. This led to girls eventually being raped by groups of men at a time, trafficked between cities for sex and beaten or threatened if they resisted. Small groups of men operated together, though it does not appear that the groups were part of a larger coordinated network.

More than 1,400 girls were attacked in this way in Rotherham alone, a south Yorkshire borough of 258,000 people that released a report Tuesday detailing the “blatant” failure of police and local authorities to stop the crimes.

How do you explain the American females that are in Koh Tao? I think they might have a different opinion than yours.

I was on a course there 8 weeks ago, it was like the league of Nations with young women, from 18-30 partying most nights and then the nights of the Koh Tao famour pub crawl, even more, most so drunk they couldn't stand properly, with "buckets" for sale every 2-3 M's..

If that's not promoting poor behavior from tourists as some have intimated, then what causes them to behave in such a manner?

Oh and I've seen the same behaviour in Spain and other tourist destinations all over the world too, it's not unique to Thailand.

large groups of "American" girls, walking around blindly drunk from pub to pub?

prove it,

most probably, Aussies,

it is not an America destination

you think that for one minute that people cannot suss out Thai's and Thainess, in a relatively short time?

Correct, they cannot, and that is true of not only Thai but all Asian countries!

However many people do form misguided and incorrect views about the things they don't understand.

FH: I don't have a particular beef with you but you simply don't understand, please go fight with somebody else.

Post removed due to this following rule:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Like 1

Tell you what, the arrogance of some posters here who think that they know it all just becasue they've lived in Thailand a long time is astonishing, you think that for one minute that people cannot suss out Thai's and Thainess, in a relatively short time?

I can sit in a conversation and within 5 minutes can make up my mind if a person is a dick or not, I don't need to sit and be with him for 15 years to come to the same conclusion..

Being a long timer in Thailand doesn't always make you an expert on all things Thai.. people are fast learners these days..

As it stands right now, NO DNA found links to the two British Guys held, that should maybe start to get your brains thinking that the Police haven't got the right man/men yet..

Hello Haggis,

Thanks for your interesting posts.

Amazes me how people in here rattle on about these English guys. Especially, when we all know they where cleared from all suspicions ages ago (slightly exaggerated) but still keep drumming on about their theories. To anyone with half - a - brain would realise it was Thai locals - full stop. This has emerged into a circus act to cover-up the real perpetrators who bludgeoned, raped and slaughtered these 2 young people for their own macabre enjoyment. As time ticks away, the real killers must be laughing themselves silly, thus about the carnage they've done and find this all pretty sickening.

I really feel for these 2 youngsters and breaks my heart to think they've died in vein. Unless, of course, international pressure is laid on to bring about a real conviction other than some poor scapegoats beaten up and scared to death and made to admit to this atrocity. Thailand is a very dangerous destination for tourists and always feel scared to death when my kids in the UK want to come here to see me. I really felt for a short while, that the Junta would turn everything around for the better. However, after reading the new PM's statements I realised my expectations where really - far too far-fetched.

I really get aggravated whenever anyone makes a stance against Thailand, then the Lynch mob ask' Why don't you go home then. Do we really need to explain to these parasites our reasons for living here ? I would love to express my true feelings about these Clowns but best I keep stumm.

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 2

If it had been a Thai couple murdered seems to me that most posters here would have said " horrible but this is Thailand" The nationality of the victims should mean nothing, the nationality of the culprits should mean nothing. A terrible crime was committed, each persons life is as valuable as the next. Posters seem to think a Western life is worth more.

• Like 1

large groups of "American" girls, walking around blindly drunk from pub to pub?

prove it,

most probably, Aussies,

it is not an America destination

Where in my posts did it say large groups of American girls? I think I can distinguish the difference between an Aussie accent and an American one, you do realise that there's quite a lot of American Dive School/ Instructors on Koh Tao don't you?

I'm presuming that you've also been to Koh Toa recently?

Hell some of them were also on a Visa run to Ventienne a week after I was on Koh Tao..

Had the pleasure of talking with a Dive shop owner who was a former Neurosurgeon in the US Military.. oddly enough, he was also in the company of some American girls that same night..

Forensics experts in Bangkok said they found, and are now DNA-testing, blonde hairs in Witheridge's right hand. Police also found a pair of Mr Ware's blood-stained pants in Miller's luggage and an Apple iPhone with long blonde hairs snagged on it.

Un-Quote

This is alarming news -

The semen DNA should be clear enough to convict or dismiss him as a person of interest.

This smells like a fishy set up-

Long blond hairs on an I phone just doesn't ring true for me.

Nor after this time hair on his hand (even if he was guilty)

• Like 1

Tell you what, the arrogance of some posters here who think that they know it all just becasue they've lived in Thailand a long time is astonishing, you think that for one minute that people cannot suss out Thai's and Thainess, in a relatively short time?

I can sit in a conversation and within 5 minutes can make up my mind if a person is a dick or not, I don't need to sit and be with him for 15 years to come to the same conclusion..

Being a long timer in Thailand doesn't always make you an expert on all things Thai.. people are fast learners these days..

As it stands right now, NO DNA found links to the two British Guys held, that should maybe start to get your brains thinking that the Police haven't got the right man/men yet..

Hello Haggis,

Thanks for your interesting posts.

Amazes me how people in here rattle on about these English guys. Especially, when we all know they where cleared from all suspicions ages ago (slightly exaggerated) but still keep drumming on about their theories. To anyone with half - a - brain would realise it was Thai locals - full stop. This has emerged into a circus act to cover-up the real perpetrators who bludgeoned, raped and slaughtered these 2 young people for their own macabre enjoyment. As time ticks away, the real killers must be laughing themselves silly, thus about the carnage they've done and find this all pretty sickening.

I really feel for these 2 youngsters and breaks my heart to think they've died in vein. Unless, of course, international pressure is laid on to bring about a real conviction other than some poor scapegoats beaten up and scared to death and made to admit to this atrocity. Thailand is a very dangerous destination for tourists and always feel scared to death when my kids in the UK want to come here to see me. I really felt for a short while, that the Junta would turn everything around for the better. However, after reading the new PM's statements I realised my expectations where really - far too far-fetched.

I really get aggravated whenever anyone makes a stance against Thailand, then the Lynch mob ask' Why don't you go home then. Do we really need to explain to these parasites our reasons for living here ? I would love to express my true feelings about these Clowns but best I keep stumm.

logic not your strong suit? just because it wasnt those english guys makes it a given that it had to be thais? were there no other farang on the island? no wonder folks laugh at you guys!!

Edited by AYJAYDEE

you think that for one minute that people cannot suss out Thai's and Thainess, in a relatively short time?

Correct, they cannot, and that is true of not only Thai but all Asian countries!

However many people do form misguided and incorrect views about the things they don't understand.

FH: I don't have a particular beef with you but you simply don't understand, please go fight with somebody else.

But you do understand? I'm just curious as to how you feel that you're right and that everyone is wrong when it comes to Thailand and Thainess and the difference in cultures.

I have no beef with you either, I'm just curious as to what makes you an SME ?

Forensics experts in Bangkok said they found, and are now DNA-testing, blonde hairs in Witheridge's right hand. Police also found a pair of Mr Ware's blood-stained pants in Miller's luggage and an Apple iPhone with long blonde hairs snagged on it.

Un-Quote

This is alarming news -

The semen DNA should be clear enough to convict or dismiss him as a person of interest.

This smells like a fishy set up-

Long blond hairs on an I phone just doesn't ring true for me.

Nor after this time hair on his hand (even if he was guilty)

Who knows? Info at the moment is dodgy to say the least. Open mind, less racism would be better.

• Like 2

Okay AC Bar is the only bar on Sairee beach that is open all night, its kinda like sound club chaweng Samui. A bar where people party from 2 AM to 6 AM. This bar is very near the murder scene. Where the tourists where partying.

Okay this bar is full of burmese and thai workers too and theres a lot of fire dancers there and around on the beach for different bars.

A Hoe is used by the fire dancers every night because they use it when they deal with the fire and preparing for fire games etc.

WHY DONT THEY CHECK WITH THE PEOPLE WHO HAD POSSESSION OF A HOE WHICH ARE THAI AND BURMESE FIRE DANCERS ON THE BEACH!

Edited by SirBser
  • Like 2

You're right on, but should understand,

There are many old men living here who're living in an ivory tower, and can speak no Thai, and only have a former prostitute who left school at 13 to communicate with the rest of the country.

I don't think it matters how long they lived here. They will never understand anything about Thailand or it's people.

All of this, coming from a Thai, oh really, Tommo!

You're right on, but should understand,

There are many old men living here who're living in an ivory tower, and can speak no Thai, and only have a former prostitute who left school at 13 to communicate with the rest of the country.

I don't think it matters how long they lived here. They will never understand anything about Thailand or it's people.

It's been my experience when talking to old timers (that I have had any respect for), that the longer they have lived in Thailand, the more disillusioned and cynical they have become. There are plenty of guys who come here and suss it right away, others who stay in a pipe dream but not too many who haven't worked out the Thais after a long stretch in LOS.

I am omitting those who cannot speak Thai fluently and who flaunt hired women.