British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

Whats desired is deep investigation to all possibilities .

Round up local known drunks, men who were "known prior to police" might be a start.

Not dismissing the possibility out of hand a Thai(s) could have done such horrible things.

I would suggest rounding up all the local rich Thai's sons.

Possible motive - wanting sex with an attractive foreign woman, and knowing you will never be caught.

But it's never going to happen, the Thai police have already been bought and paid for.

What other explanation for all the silly accusations by the local police?

round them up and do what? and feel free to give us your educated guess at the dividing line between local rich and local not rich.

I was making a facetious reply to Fred, who seemed to think drunks and criminals more likely to rape than rich kids.

Rape in Thailand is a crime of opportunity, and almost every young male Thai will have a go, if he thinks he can get away with it.

I concede your point is very valid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round up local known drunks, men who were "known prior to police" might be a start.

Not dismissing the possibility out of hand a Thai(s) could have done such horrible things.

I would suggest rounding up all the local rich Thai's sons, before they move abroad.

Possible motive - wanting sex with an attractive foreign woman, and knowing you will never be caught.

But it's never going to happen, the Thai police have already been bought and paid for.

In these cases, there is always a certain amount of people who think everything is steeped in conspiracy regarding the police. The same thing happened with the Canadian sisters. But their parents hired private western investigators who got no further then the local Thai police.

• Like 2

And actually I think he was merely verbalizing what many people are thinking. Thailand, despite its many adult distractions, is a reserved culture, people, females especially do not roam the streets semi naked, Just because it's OK to do that in Benidorm and Miami, does it mean it's an OK thing to do that here in Thailand, after all, westerners wouldn't consider doing similar in ultra conservative countries - the issue is not black and white, it's a matter of degrees in terms of conservatism of a particular country.

Right, fire away.

OK,

I don't agree that Thailand is a reserved culture, I believe it's a culture of fear.

Thais hardly ever say what they really mean.

They say "It's not polite to show your body"

What they really mean "If you show your body in public you will likely be gang raped"

The general is merely stating the obvious, in his own Thai way.

When he says "Foreign girls should not go around in bikinis"

What he means "Foreign girls who show a lot of skin will get themselves raped and murdered"

Thai girls and Thai culture are not at all conservative when they feel safe.

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

2 brother English backpackers who knew them suspects

1 farang in Bangkok strong suspect but not arrested just watched

11 more Burmese suspects because of bloody clothing

1 totally unknown strong suspect because he was running on camera then walking on the same camera later. appears Asian.

Is a 3rd grader conducting the investigation?

Are there absolutely no Thai suspects/witnesses/persons of interest? GMAFB.

Oh yeah and Thai Visa favorite PM Prayuth joining in to condemn the farangs who were killed in early morning hours because the foriegn press makes them think it is okay to wear bikinis in Thailand.

Forget about the bloodstained pants. Those seem to be as common amongst farang backpackers and Burmese slave workers in Koh Tao as ripped jeans are in the Siam Paragon in Bangkok.

It is time for proper respect of Thai culture by foreigners who should also immediately increase the amount of cash they give away to Thais, preferably by wire transfer without ever coming to the Kingdom.

Bikinis have no place in modest Thailand, except those worn by Thai women in go-go bars in the proper pursuit of foreign exchange to support the balance of payments.

I would suggest rounding up all the local rich Thai's sons.

round them up and do what? and feel free to give us your educated guess at the dividing line between local rich and local not rich.

I was making a facetious reply to Fred, who seemed to think drunks and criminals more likely to rape than rich kids.

Rape in Thailand is a crime of opportunity, and almost every young male Thai will have a go, if he thinks he can get away with it.

LOL!! you truly believe that almost EVERY young thai male will commit rape if he thinks he can get away with it? how DO you guys rationalize living here!!?? lol

• Like 2

And actually I think he was merely verbalizing what many people are thinking. Thailand, despite its many adult distractions, is a reserved culture, people, females especially do not roam the streets semi naked, Just because it's OK to do that in Benidorm and Miami, does it mean it's an OK thing to do that here in Thailand, after all, westerners wouldn't consider doing similar in ultra conservative countries - the issue is not black and white, it's a matter of degrees in terms of conservatism of a particular country.

Right, fire away.

OK,

I don't agree that Thailand is a reserved culture, I believe it's a culture of fear.

What they really mean "If you show your body in public you will likely be gang raped"

What he means "Foreign girls who show a lot of skin will get themselves raped and murdered"

At what school of psychoanalysis did you get your degree??

Young blond women from the West should be extremely careful here, some Thais see rape as only option to ever have sex with a blond girl (if you can call it that) and as we have seen many times, they often act and don't care about the consequences.

Some Thai ladies are know to have been dragged out of their cars after dark and raped and they are so ashamed about it that they choose to keep quiet about it.

Look at the size of this island and the location. It lives and breathes tourism. Local people on these small islands have their own code of conduct with regards to tourists. Touriusts are the hand that feeds them.

And don't be so quick to think that some cool Thai guys working at the surf shops aren't shagging white girls. I know of many cases where tourist girls sleep around with the locals. Some guys gravitate to these places for that reason.

For these reasons, I see this as a crime of passion where the victims knew their attackers.

• Like 2

If a pack of crazed Violent Thai men are found to have done this <snip> Its not ignorance to suggest if the native population are killing your kind you don't go there.

You have issues to deal with.

Again your out of touch its silly to think that grizzly murderous acts can be shrugged off.

Go on twitter , its a buzz with people saying ""thats it"" if Thai men are found to have done this act.

Brits in Particular are very concerned by the barbaric nature of this heinous crime.

I don't have issues banning my child from her intended visit.

This is a shocking crime.

No amount of twisting or Mandy Pandy fluffing of events can alter the fact.

People have an aversion to being murdered by their hosts.

It will affect tourism extremely so.

I guess you scared Britts either lock yourself in your rooms 24 hours a day since your own pack of crazed and Violent natives have been known to kill their own right in the UK. Maybe that is why you are so ignorantly determined to dismiss that one of your own kind likely did this.

Me I could care less the nationality, color or religion of the person who did this ... all people are my people. Given what has been the most reliable reports from police, it seems likely they were killed by somebody they were close with and could care less what nationality the victims again they are all people and there are some good people and some bad people and there are good people that do bad and bad people that do good and then there are those that make me realize how truly ignorant people can be because they they do things like refer to others as if they are animals or less important because of their skin color or nationality.

You should see someone for psychoanalysis. Its as plain as the nose on your face. We all know deep down it was NOT a Brit. It will NEVER be solved unless there is enough international pressure to do so ...... and forget the SAVE-FACE - BS

• Like 1

This is directged at Thai Visa: you might want to hire a proof reader for articles such as this. read it and try to make sense of it.

You might contact the source of the news articles and make your suggestion to them to hire proof readers. Thai Visa does not write the articles.

• Like 1

Right, fire away.

OK,

The beaches of southern Thailand will make most people feel very safe during daylight hours yet you almost never see Thai females going topless, the culture does not permit it. And whilst you will see girls in bikinis inside go-go bars, that's business, seeing them in the street other than in Pattaya is not common, seeing them inside department stores and restaurants is very unusual.

And finally, you quoted the General, please provide a link to where he supposedly said that.

Article in NZ Herald today

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11326687

Without wanting to raise the temp too much here, it raises an interesting point

Charles, a 27-year-old who runs his own events company in London, recalls the sun rising on one such party in Koh Phangan. "There was this English couple who were having sex in the water, which was obviously incredibly disrespectful to the locals, but everybody went nuts. One Thai guy ran in there and just started attacking the man, then about 20 others followed and beat the absolute hell out of him, to the point where he was lifeless and face-down in the water. These Thai people came and drove a pick-up truck on to the beach, and then they just threw him into the back of it and drove off.

Irrespective of who committed a crime like this, in whatever country, it would not reflect well on that country especially if the police and local authorities are seen as incompetent or corrupt.

• Like 2

And finally, you quoted the General, please provide a link to where he supposedly said that.

The general was speaking in Thai, which we can't use in this forum.

You will never know what the general actually said, as you can't understand Thai.

My translation is as good as any other you get to read.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

And there's always a percentage of cases that simply never get solved, in every country. The difference is that when that happens in Thailand it's always because the police have been paid off or are incompetent!

Thats what everyone thought until private investigators were being hired by parents from the west. The Canadian sisters case and the Dutch persons case. Neither private investigators got any further then the police. But the parents still held a grudge against the police and told everyone never to go to Thailand.

You should see someone for psychoanalysis. Its as plain as the nose on your face. We all know deep down it was NOT a Brit. It will NEVER be solved unless there is enough international pressure to do so ...... and forget the SAVE-FACE - BS

how do you KNOW? sure hope i dont ever get charged with something and find you sitting on the jury

So they should haul some Thais in regardless if there is no evidence pointing in there direction to give an appearance of fairness to prevent you and others from thinking they are doing things for appearance?

Err, no, but they shouldn't make official statements 'the weight of evidence points to this being carried out by a foreigner', 'a Thai would never do this', and not reveal the nationality of an 'Asian male' detained.

Can't be bothered to find links for you (one is BK post which TV doesn't allow to be linked) just post less and try to keep up.

I would suggest rounding up all the local rich Thai's sons, before they move abroad.

In these cases, there is always a certain amount of people who think everything is steeped in conspiracy regarding the police. The same thing happened with the Canadian sisters. But their parents hired private western investigators who got no further then the local Thai police.

Private western investigators that every man and his dog patently knows would not have been ''privy'' to what the local Thai police already knew.

Charles, a 27-year-old who runs his own events company in London, recalls the sun rising on one such party in Koh Phangan. "There was this English couple who were having sex in the water, which was obviously incredibly disrespectful to the locals, but everybody went nuts. One Thai guy ran in there and just started attacking the man, then about 20 others followed and beat the absolute hell out of him, to the point where he was lifeless and face-down in the water. These Thai people came and drove a pick-up truck on to the beach, and then they just threw him into the back of it and drove off.

Irrespective of who committed a crime like this, in whatever country, it would not reflect well on that country especially if the police and local authorities are seen as incompetent or corrupt.

But the police are corrupt, corruption has been identified as public enemy number one, even the General admits this is true so that's not under debate.

But are they incompetetent: they are probably not as well trained as the FBI or the UK police but incompetent, I kinda doubt that.

What people seem to overlook is that the South is predominantly Muslim, the people of the south are far more reserved than elsewhere in Thailand, having sex in public might be OK on the 16:40 from London to Oxford, it's not OK anywhere here, especially not in the South.

Thank you for your interesting article.

This does have relevance to the current case.

It might well explain motive.

• Like 1

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

1 totally unknown strong suspect because he was running on camera then walking on the same camera later. appears Asian.

Oh yeah and Thai Visa favorite PM Prayuth joining in to condemn the farangs who were killed in early morning hours because the foriegn press makes them think it is okay to wear bikinis in Thailand.

In this wonderful wolrd of misquotes and conspiracy theories that is Thai Visa, let's set the record straight yet again.

The good General did not say such a thing, he merely asked the question:

"Speaking in a live broadcast today discussing tourist safety, he said: “There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,” according to the AFP news agency.

He added: “Can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-bikinis-9737016.html

Right, fire away.

Let me get this straight...

A couple is brutally murdered at 6 am.

And what "many people are thinking" in reaction to such an event is that Thailand is a reserved culture and farang feamles should not wear bikinis?... Everyone who had this reaction should have their heads examined.

• Like 1

Timeline

7 Brumese suspects

In this wonderful wolrd of misquotes and conspiracy theories that is Thai Visa, let's set the record straight yet again.

The good General did not say such a thing, he merely asked the question:

"Speaking in a live broadcast today discussing tourist safety, he said: “There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,” according to the AFP news agency.

He added: “Can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-bikinis-9737016.html

Right, fire away.

Let me get this straight...

A couple is brutally murdered at 6 am.

And what "many people are thinking" in reaction to such an event is that Thailand is a reserved culture and farang feamles should not wear bikinis?... Everyone who had this reaction should have their heads examined.

no, many people think its a reserved culture. no one said they should not wear bikinis

Chang Mai you are probably one of those 70 year old farang who came to Thailand because he hated the "political correctness" back home. I am thankful that my daughter has the opportunity to live legally and freely in a country where the mysoginistic ideologies you have expressed are no longer the accepted norm.

How is it relevant? What was the motive? Bear in mind, they moved out of the public eye. Mostly likely they were followed by men with ill intentions. Bear in mind that different sperm samples were found inside the unfortunate girl.

ThailandJohn

Without resorting to abuse , can you not see that certain aspects of this investigation have appeared somewhat shambolic. Rightly or wrongly there is a perception that the local police are concentrating on foreign suspects , that perception has to change or else Thailands reputation will suffer. It is not a question of whether a Thai commited the crime , its a question of whether local corruption MAY be , directly or indirectly , shielding the guilty.

All most people want to see is justice , regardless of the consequences , that means targeting everybody in an equal fashion , why do you have a problem with this ?

Joe, your talking to a brick wall in here since the place is full of bigots.

Thus, being like a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. I too have had many a word with these cretins suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of anyone trying to beget a place on their patch. Its very rare for anyone to act like this in such a manner in our own given societies or even places of leisure otherwise would be derailed in an instant or would be adorning a straightjacket as their attire.

No freedom of speech in here either if you really want to let rip with your true feelings about them.

Anyway, keep hammering away my friend ....

ThailandJohn

Without resorting to abuse , can you not see that certain aspects of this investigation have appeared somewhat shambolic. Rightly or wrongly there is a perception that the local police are concentrating on foreign suspects , that perception has to change or else Thailands reputation will suffer. It is not a question of whether a Thai commited the crime , its a question of whether local corruption MAY be , directly or indirectly , shielding the guilty.

All most people want to see is justice , regardless of the consequences , that means targeting everybody in an equal fashion , why do you have a problem with this ?

Joe, your talking to a brick wall in here since the place is full of bigots.

Thus, being like a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. I too have had many a word with these cretins suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of anyone trying to beget a place on their patch. Its very rare for anyone to act like this in such a manner in our own given societies or even places of leisure otherwise would be derailed in an instant or would be adorning a straightjacket as their attire.

No freedom of speech in here either if you really want to let rip with your true feelings about them.

Anyway, keep hammering away my friend ....

can I interest you in a dictionary?

How is it relevant? What was the motive? Bear in mind, they moved out of the public eye. Mostly likely they were followed by men with ill intentions. Bear in mind that different sperm samples were found inside the unfortunate girl.

His article highlighted anger at westerners being intimate in their public domain.

And though i understand your point ""then why would they rape?" (with regard to semen samples)

Thais often show hypocrisy.

I have seen Thais who have a stake in a 5 storey Massage building , audaciously state on media outlet their disgust at western woman being topless on their shoreline.

Its not within the boundaries of reason that even though the victims might have been killed for perceived acts against their moral codes, that they themselves then rape.

Its the Good girl bad girl Thai mentality at play.

However, i agree its likely a group of Thai men in an altered state committed the crime for sexual gratification.