Love?

dubtruker

Hey!

I just found this website while looking for vespas. Anyways I have been reading around this site for hours at a time as it is right up my alley. I live in Vancouver Canada and have a girlfriend who is Thai. She is 27 I am 35 and we are both single never married childless. She was born in the US but moved to Thailand when she was 5, 1/2 Thai 1/2 white but since she grew up in Thailand she very much considers herself nothing other then Thai. She emigrated to Canada in 2000 with her 2 brothers and white Father(who I geuss was absent from when she was 5 up until 2000). Anywho I geuss none of this is very important to any of you guys but I am intrigued by it.

My question to you is how I should tell her I love her. I have never said it in english even though I would love to. But where she associates so strongly with Thai I would think it would mean so much more if I could say it in Thai or some semblence of it.

How could I learn this term and learn to pronounce it properly? I do not have anyone here to teach me it in person. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

PS. Pleased to meet you all!

Edited by dubtruker

love in thailand takes on a whole new meaning, and if she has grown up thai, then she will not be into our western "hallmark" version of love.

I could elaborate and turn this into a novel, but I´ll keep it simple by saying this:

PTP, but Actions = Louder than any words.

She will look, if she is genuine, for someone who will be a supportive father for a potential future father. Stability, income, good dad, loyal, faithful, working for the "family" type of bloke.

Hot dam.n, and that without even knowing you guys. :winking:

Good Luck. :o

Chok Dii! (good luck)

Kayo.-

I'm going to get flack for this by some people who think it sounds too formal and distant, but I would still choose

[R]pom [H]rak [M]khun

ผมรักคุณ

...to keep it simple. I have never heard of a Thai girl who chastises somebody for being too polite, whereas more familiar pronouns for 'I' and 'you' could take the effect off the statement.

in love songs, 'I love you' is expressed

[H]chan [H]rak [M]theu

ฉัน (pronounced ชั้น) รักเธอ

but I wouldnt use it myself.

'pom' should be pronounced with a tone that starts in the middle of your voice register, dips a little and then rises, sort of like an emphasized question.

'rak' the 'a' sound here is actually more like the 'u' one in RP English 'luck' than the 'a' in 'Mac'. The tone is high, this means it should be pronounced at the highest pitch your normal voice reaches when speaking calmly.

'khun' kh is like 'k' in Kellogs. 'un' is like in 'Burundi', not as in 'run'. The tone of the word is mid, this means it is pronounced at the middle of your comfortable speaking voice range.

'chan' - 'ch' pronounced as in between 'church' and 'sheep'. 'an' pronounced as in RP English 'done'.

'theu' 'th' as in Thailand (NOT a lisp as in 'the'). the 'eu' sound is somewhere between French 'fleur' and RP English 'nerd'.

[R]pom [H]rak [M]khun

ผมรักคุณ

[H]chan [H]rak [M]theu

ฉัน (pronounced ชั้น) รักเธอ

'pom' should be pronounced with a tone that starts in the middle of your voice register, dips a little and then rises, sort of like an emphasized question.

'rak' the 'a' sound here is actually more like the 'u' one in RP English 'luck' than the 'a' in 'Mac'. The tone is high, this means it should be pronounced at the highest pitch your normal voice reaches when speaking calmly.

'khun' kh is like 'k' in Kellogs. 'un' is like in 'Burundi', not as in 'run'. The tone of the word is mid, this means it is pronounced at the middle of your comfortable speaking voice range.

'chan' - 'ch' pronounced as in between 'church' and 'sheep'. 'an' pronounced as in RP English 'done'.

'theu' 'th' as in Thailand (NOT a lisp as in 'the'). the 'eu' sound is somewhere between French 'fleur' and RP English 'nerd'.

Wow great job,

the fun part of working with Thai language is figuring out what pronoun works best for you in each situation.

and when not to use a pronoun for "me/i" and using your own name/title instead :D

Phom rak ter (said while looking into her eyes .. )means "I love you"

(Said while looking at another woman will get you slapped :o

a really simple way that is probably the most intimate way to say it ir

<your name> rak <her name>