Fisher Woman

Hi guys,

Not a teacher but thought this would be a good place to ask the question.

When talking about woman who fish for a living, what would you call them? Fisher person? (and please, dont say Hooker).

Edited by Lacoste

that made me look like your avatar, loaded.... :o

(worst pun ever

So Gandhi was very religious fellow who had really taugh feet because he walked barefoot everywhere, and was very frail due to his vegetarian diet, which also caused him to have bad breath. So I guess you could say he was a super-calloused-fragile-mystic-hexed-by-hallitosis)

that made me look like your avatar, loaded.... :o

(worst pun ever

So Gandhi was very religious fellow who had really taugh feet because he walked barefoot everywhere, and was very frail due to his vegetarian diet, which also caused him to have bad breath. So I guess you could say he was a super-calloused-fragile-mystic-hexed-by-hallitosis)

That reminded me of my favourite ever News Headline from when Inverness Caledonian Thistle (a Scottish football team, nicknamed "Super Calley") beat Glasgow Celtic.

Super Calley Go Balistic, Celtic Are Atrocious!

Yeh there was also one that said Super shearer lands a big kick experts find atrocious After Alan Shearer fouled another player.

Anyway back on topic, do you have an answer to my question? :o

How many answers do you want? You got several, #2 thourgh #6 in this topic.

Fisher, fishwife, fisherperson, a woman who fishes.

How about fisherette? Fish-catcher-ette?

Yeh there was also one that said Super shearer lands a big kick experts find atrocious After Alan Shearer fouled another player.

Anyway back on topic, do you have an answer to my question? :o

How many answers do you want? You got several, #2 thourgh #6 in this topic.

Fisher, fishwife, fisherperson, a woman who fishes.

How about fisherette? Fish-catcher-ette?

I was expecting a forum of 'English Teachers' to be able to give me a decent answer.

I was expecting a forum of 'English Teachers' to be able to give me a decent answer.
Well, in my somewhat humble position as a somewhat amateur English Teacher and non-fisherman, I think you got several decent answers. Some were from dictionaries, and those are available in your own library or online. Good luck. Always glad to help. Besides, you never bothered to explain the purpose of your request, your intended audience, the medium or context in which it would be presented, your name, rank and serial number, etc. Besides, English teachers in Thailand aren't 100% serious; we have all received injections of "sanook" when we were promptly issued our teaching licenses and work permits.

Or, perhaps the alligator in your avatar is a female fisher-animal...a fisher-gatress.....

Ok my daughter asked me the question.

If a female makes her living by fishing, What would she be called?

In a males case it would be fisherman, but i believe there must be a correct term for the female, other than fisher person, fisher lady etc.

Context 'My mother is a fisher lady', 'My sister is a fisher', 'My Grandmother is a fisher person'.

As I posted it can be either or...so you can say fisherwoman, you can say fisherperson, or you can even use fisherman.....pretty much the same for anything. Depends if they're old Skool or New Skool and/or have a problem with gender specificness (like them people you have to call Ms!!!).

Ok my daughter asked me the question.

If a female makes her living by fishing, What would she be called?

In a males case it would be fisherman, but i believe there must be a correct term for the female, other than fisher person, fisher lady etc.

Context 'My mother is a fisher lady', 'My sister is a fisher', 'My Grandmother is a fisher person'.

How about "My mother fishes for a living" ?? and then you don't have to worry about it :o Sounds alot less awkward anyway.