Drinking Water

wilko

Just curious to see what kinds of water people in Pattaya and its environs have and what they use it for. Do you drink tap water, well water? Do you clean your teeth with it?

What about bottled water?...what kind do you get?....is it delivered?....how much do you pay?...what about ice?

What advice have you got for others?

Hi wilko, I am a long term resident of Pattaya and I live in a condo. You can not drink tap water but I clean my teeth with it and I have never had any problems with that. I drink the water that comes in the sealed 10 litre drums. If you purchase the 10 litre drum the first time it will cost 50 baht for the drum and 10 baht for the water. When you run out you go downstairs to the shop and replace the drum empty for full for 10 baht. In other words it costs me 10 baht for 10 litres.

There are also the water machines that are around shops or as in my condo downstairs. These machines also charge 1 baht for 1 litre and is good clean drinking water. I go through 10 litres a day so water is a big issue for me.

When I am out and about and I get thirsty I just buy the cheapest I can find at a 7/11 or Family Mart. Usually cost 5 or 6 baht, comes in that whitish plastic bottle. That is the cheapest way to get your water supply and I have never been sick from it. Most Thais do it that way too, hope that helps.

I don't drink anything I can't see through

Bmanly....yes I'm about the same but in 12 years I've never knowingly cleaned my teeth with tap water! - blood to bacteria contact a distinct possibility yes/no?

bulzit...I take it then a glass of H2SO4 would be fine by you?

kurgen....if you're cleaning your teeth with beer maybe it's time to join a "club" or at least sign on to the "drink too much" forum!?!?!? :o

I drink boiled tap water. I use plain tap water for brushing my teeth etc. I have drank water from the tap without ill effects, but I understand this is a no-no--there just wasn't an option at the time.

I don't drink anything I can't see through

Bmanly....yes I'm about the same but in 12 years I've never knowingly cleaned my teeth with tap water! - blood to bacteria contact a distinct possibility yes/no?

bulzit...I take it then a glass of H2SO4 would be fine by you?

kurgen....if you're cleaning your teeth with beer maybe it's time to join a "club" or at least sign on to the "drink too much" forum!?!?!? :o

My body always compensates for my over doing the grog, it just pisses more :D

I use the tap water for brushing my teeth, showering/shaving, and washing the dishes.

For drinking and cooking, I use the cheapy 5 baht "purified" water (20 baht for a 6 pack of 1 liter bottles).

I could get the larger plastic drums, but they are a pin in the patootie to carry up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment. And once in place, trying to pour just a little water can be annoying and messy.

I've glanced at the water filtration systems they sell in most of the big stores, but don't want to get in to the hassles of replumbing right now (as I don't know how long I will be in-country, or in this apartment, currently).

Once I get settled into a more permament situation, it is something I'll look at doing though.

Those outdoor water machines that dispense water at 1 baht a litre are great; the water is fine for drinking; no problems so far.

The tap-water is hit and miss; Russian roulette to drink it, even cleaning the teeth might be risky.

I am sceptical about these water-purifiers, as they say; you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Plus, the poster who said he drinks 10 litres of water a day: be careful: make sure at least a third of that water had added electrolytes added like 'stong-k' or 'de-lyte'. Electrolyte imbalance can be very serious and is very easy in this climate.

I've been brushing my teeth for 29 years using the tap water in Thailand. I guess I should be more careful or I might get sick. :D

I purchase bottled water to cook with and drink. I use the ice at bars served with my drinks and never give it a second thought. :D

Sometimes you people worry too much. :o

I've been brushing my teeth for 29 years using the tap water in Thailand. I guess I should be more careful or I might get sick. :D

Yeah I guess that the sick ones wished they had worried a bit more and used bottled water:huh:

Yeah I guess that the sick ones wished they had worried a bit more and used bottled water:huh:

Perhaps they do, IF the water is what made them sick. I find it hard to believe that the miniscule amount of water one ingests when brushing one's teeth is enough to make one sick, unless one has an extremely low immunity to bugs. Perhaps something else made these imaginary people sick?

The only time I have not used the tap water to brush was in Leningrad, Russia, in 1975. The water system was still bad as a result of the siege of Leningrad some 30 years earlier. I could only find carbonated water to brush with and this is certainly no fun when you combine the bubbles and the toothpaste foam. Give it a try sometime for a cheap rush.

Edited by chuckd

Perhaps they do, IF the water is what made them sick. I find it hard to believe that the miniscule amount of water one ingests when brushing one's teeth is enough to make one sick, unless one has an extremely low immunity to bugs. Perhaps something else made these imaginary people sick?

The only time I have not used the tap water to brush was in Leningrad, Russia, in 1975. The water system was still bad as a result of the siege of Leningrad some 30 years earlier. I could only find carbonated water to brush with and this is certainly no fun when you combine the bubbles and the toothpaste foam. Give it a try sometime for a cheap rush.

Believe me even..........

'I find it hard to believe that the miniscule amount of water one ingests when brushing one's teeth is enough to make one sick'

.......a little bit of water is enough to become ill with certain bugs. In the case of cholera, for example, you have a valid point, tiny amounts of water rarely cause infection, yet another- cryptosporidium might easily infect with just a few drops of contaminated water being ingested.

Brushing teeth with tap water in certain countries is risky, and I would include Thailand.

i get beautiful spring water inland from pattaya about 45 ks it is so clear

Tap water for teeth is fine, I think the toothpaste kills any germs, I switched to mountain spring water at 45 baht per 10 litres when my kids were born on advise from a friend as his babe had been sick.

I must say tho even the Thais who visit and drink from the water machine say that the water tatses better than normal bottled water.

Ice in drinks? I'm normally too dunk to care and the alchohol must purify it to some extent. :o

The guy who built my house told me that there is a notice in Thai in the local public water office to the effect that the tap water has been properly treated and is safe to drink. I have no idea if this is true, but it probably is - but personally I wouldn't trust it.

However, I have always brushed my teeth in tap water and never thought twice about it.

My main fridge has a charcoal filter and dispenses cold water and ice cubes. I rarely drink the water because it doesn't taste that great, but have done on the odd occasion. I use the ice maker all the time, and have had no problems.

Which brings us to the problems with ice - I kinda suspect that there is less attention paid to the cleanliness of ice we have in our drinks at bars, and particularly at local restaurants. However I use it all the time, and again no problems.

Having said all, that I was seriously ill a few years ago with amoebic dysentry - which meant that I had unpleasant things living in my gut. The doc at Bangrumrad told me the bugs had probably been there for some time, but took their time to really attack me. He said I almost certainly picked them up from unclean water used in the prepartation and/or cooking of Thai food at road side stalls. He said most Thais have similar bugs in their guts, but they are immune to bad effects as they grew up with them - but sometimes, as in my case, they can make farangs very ill.

I think just use sensible preacautions, but don't go overboard - the longer you live here the less likely you are to have problems as your body adapts and accepts these new organisms.

At the end of the day the Thai medics are well used to treating the problems caused by bad water and food, and even the cheapo clinics can usually have you re-hydrated, antibioticised (is there such a word?) and on your way within a few hours.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Intersting stuff Mr Mobi.....

ChuckD…29 years eh?…is that both the front tooth and the back one??

Or does taking the lot out and scrubbing them in the sink count as cleaning with tap water???? Sorry in advance, I'm sure your head is chocker-block with ivory...

I would agree that the risks involved whilst brushing your teeth are somewhat minimal…but a couple of points…..

Firstly most people seem to be overlooking one thing; it’s not just bacteria that may exist in the water, it’s toxins and chemicals. Some of these may not have an immediate effect but slowly build up over the years.

Also many people get a little sick and put it down to booze or food when in actual fact it may well have been the water.

Toxins etc are invisible and no matter how clear the water is, it may contain some harmful chemicals. It would appear that my well water is full of some iron compound.

Poisoning by bacteria, amoeba, toxins, or chemicals does not necessarily have an immediate effect so it’s quite difficult to categorically say that one has never had any ill effects from the water….

Edited by wilko

Perhaps something else made these imaginary people sick?

oh chuckd imaginary people indeed!

I used to be like you...quite confident that the tap water was fine for brushing my teeth, after all I had been doing so for the previous twelve years or so when in Patters....and then one day about 8 years ago I was rushed to Bangkok Pattaya hospital very very ill....infact I had never felt so ill in my life before...or thank god since.

I had caught typhoid.....It put me in the hospital for a week...and believe me I would never wish this illness on anyone.

The doctor at the hospital told me that it was caught from the water and probably because I brushed my teeth with it. Apparently I was the 5th falang to be admitted within a month with the same strain.

So please dont pass the message around that the water is safe to brush your teeth with...because it sure is not....you are lucky....so was I for 12 years.

It is not just the possibility of catching serious illnesses like typhoid from the water....but we do not even know in many cases where the water tankers fill up their tankers from and whether the source of their supply is safe and they supply hotels, apartment blocks, restaurants and many other places when the reservoirs are low.

So just a message to all that this not imaginary victim now uses bottled water for brushing my teeth...and I have never had a problem whilst doing so. :D

Or does taking the lot out and scrubbing them in the sink count as cleaning with tap water???? Sorry in advance, I'm sure your head is chocker-block with ivory...

Dripping with sarcasm....that is the front tooth, the back tooth and all 30 others that remain. For what it might be worth in the way of accurate information, I am proud to state that I have all original teeth with nary a filling in my head, after 68 years of eating mainly solid food.

Why do I even bother responding to such drivel??? :o

Perhaps something else made these imaginary people sick?

oh chuckd imaginary people indeed!

I used to be like you...quite confident that the tap water was fine for brushing my teeth, after all I had been doing so for the previous twelve years or so when in Patters....and then one day about 8 years ago I was rushed to Bangkok Pattaya hospital very very ill....infact I had never felt so ill in my life before...or thank god since.

I had caught typhoid.....It put me in the hospital for a week...and believe me I would never wish this illness on anyone.

The doctor at the hospital told me that it was caught from the water and probably because I brushed my teeth with it. Apparently I was the 5th falang to be admitted within a month with the same strain.

So please dont pass the message around that the water is safe to brush your teeth with...because it sure is not....you are lucky....so was I for 12 years.

It is not just the possibility of catching serious illnesses like typhoid from the water....but we do not even know in many cases where the water tankers fill up their tankers from and whether the source of their supply is safe and they supply hotels, apartment blocks, restaurants and many other places when the reservoirs are low.

So just a message to all that this not imaginary victim now uses bottled water for brushing my teeth...and I have never had a problem whilst doing so. :D

Mr. Fox:

I am sorry you contracted the disease and am positive it was a very unpleasant experience. I am hopeful it will not reoccur for you.

Being the devil's advocate for a minute here...how can you be absolutely certain the tap water caused your illness? Your doctor says it was from the water, but could it have been water you ingested at a restaurant, noodle stand, bar or other such establishment? Why did it have to be from brushing your teeth out of your own tap? Were the other four unfortunate victims told the same thing or did they, perchance, become ill in another fashion? Did anybody else in your household get typhoid as a result of using the same tap water you were using? Did your doctor perform tests on the water you were using in order to narrow down the source of your illness? I am not doubting your veracity in the least....just the information you were provided by your doctor.

I still go back to my original response...you people worry too much.

I had caught typhoid.....

The doctor at the hospital told me that it was caught from the water and probably because I brushed my teeth with it.

And you believed this? If typhoid was in the water why didn't everyone catch it? Why only 5 farang?. I've been in Thailand for 5 months now and only drink tap water. I drink about 3 or 4 litres a day. If I'm not at home I'll drink any water that is available. Perhaps you caught the typhoid because yr immune system is so used to having nothing to do.

I am also a bottle water drinker we buy the large tanks from a company that supplys the royal garden shopping mail its a little bit more expensive but taste a lot better. I have been brushing my teeth with tap water since I first came here in 1986. I have had all the bugs that you get when you come here the first time but since then nothing, it must be very difficult to get ill from the small amount of tap water that you get from brushing your teeth. The city water is a lot cleaner and safer than it used to be back then but I still dont trust it enough to drink it.

What about having an ice lolly? What water do they use to make those? :D Another thing that has bugged me for a long time is fresh fruit. Eating apples, water melon, oranges etc. you obviously are ingesting the juice so what water do they use to irrigate the crops? :o

If one is worried about the water used for ice cubes,ask them to give you ice seperately in another glass then put the cubes in a tied up condom or plastic baggie then plonk it in your drink.

:D:o:D

My mum came to HK after I'd been there for over twenty years. It was hot, so I offered to buy her an ice cream, she refused shouting ( yes shouting ) that you should never have one in a foreign country !! The shouting was because I'd bought the kids one. they were born there !!!

God knows what she'll eat or drink when she gets to the LOS at the end of the year.

Bottled water: save to drink

tapwater: not save to drink since it's quality varies.

watercooler-water: save to drink

a bit techinical info:

Bottled water is usually springwater or treated water.

Treated water: source is unknown but it goes through rough filters, then reverse osmosis (RO). RO removes metals and salts (minerals) and after that it usually is exposed to UV-light, which kills all bacteria/virus.

springwater: source known. Will have minerals of some kind (usually printed on the bottle.

I find people often prefer bottled water over the water in the "Water-coolers" found in many factories (and usually offered for free to the employees). The treatment of the water of the watercoolers and the "treated water" kind of bottles are the same, but the bottled water is more expensive.

water can absorb many elements and also transfer it to its surroundings.

treated water is almost "empty" water. It will absorb the elements from your body (good and bad). Drinking a lot of treated water will drain you too much. But hold on: you also get a lot of minerals through the various foods you eat. The story is for every person different, depending on their eating-habits life-style...

So, bottled springwater, which is the most expensive out there, is good for delivering minerals to your body, but if you get these minerals through other means, it is wasted money...

hope this helps a bit...

Dripping with sarcasm....that is the front tooth, the back tooth and all 30 others that remain. For what it might be worth in the way of accurate information, I am proud to state that I have all original teeth with nary a filling in my head, after 68 years of eating mainly solid food.

Why do I even bother responding to such drivel??? :D

All your original teeth....nary a filling in your head......good news!.........where d'you keep 'em? :o