100 Dsi, Police Officers Raid Koh Samui, Arrest Briton

george

[Long Time ago, 10 years plus, I was holiday in Koh Samui. I was approached by a very respectable business man. He showed me a property north of Cheweng near the golden Budda. 3 mill was the asking price. He had a vey nice wife ( Thai ) who convinced my wife ( Thai ) mye mee ben Haa 3 mill is nit noi u can sell again for 10 mill in a few years. I didnt buy it. I wish now I had. Maybe I can sell for 10 billion to a biker gang. Come this is so funny, r u sure they not Russian??? :o

Edited by pschef

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandidos members arrested for Samui land deals

KOH SAMUI: -- Three members of the Bandidos, an international motorcycle gang, were arrested yesterday on charges relating to illegal land sales on Koh Samui, police said.

A team of 100 officers raided 10 locations on the resort island early in the morning, arresting two alleged gang members and a Thai official suspected of being an accomplice in the illegal land sales. A third foreign national sought by police later turned himself in.

British nationals Peter Watkin Jones, 40, and Crispin John Granville Paton-Smith, 43, and Thai surveyor Pramual Somwong were arrested during the raid. Pramual allegedly provided the foreign suspects with forged land documents.

Danish national Kim Lindegaard Nielsen, 36, was in Pattaya during the raid but later turned himself in. His Caribbean-style house on Samui is advertised for sale at Bt40 million.

Police are still looking for two Thai suspects, Samroeng Buanak and Prateep Muangkaew, and one Dane, Peter Buch Rosenberg, 35, who is believed to be travelling to Denmark.

The suspects were charged with extortion, money laundering and six counts of illegal sale of public land, said Colonel Taweesak Sodsong, the deputy chief of the Department of Special Investigations (DSI).

The illegal land-sale charges relate to development projects worth from Bt1 billion to Bt6 billion each, Taweesak said. Initial investigations found the projects had encroached on public land, he said.

The DSI will not seize the suspects' money and property until the Anti-Money Laundering Organisation (Amlo) conducts a thorough investigation, Taweesak said.

Foreign nationals who invest honestly in Thailand should remain confident that they will not be affected, he said.

Cases involving sites near mountains would be forwarded to the Special Case Investigation Department and other cases will be forwarded to National Counter Corruption Commission as the surveyor allegedly involved in the illegal sales is in the civil service.

DSI spokesman Colonel Piyawat Kingket said the Bandidos gang brought more than Bt3 billion into Thailand and laundered it in Koh Samui through several tourist businesses.

DSI chief General Sombat Amornviwat said his department had received a complaint from British national Neil that the gang had threatened to kill him until he turned over his business last December.

During a six-month investigation, police found that the foreign suspects were members of the Bandidos gang and had a network that extended to Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket. They trafficked drugs in Thailand and laundered money here, Sombat said. They also engaged in illegal land deals in which they bribed land officials and used forged Sor Khor 1 documents to claim ownership of land they later sold to other foreign nationals.

The officers from the DSI, Amlo Crime Suppression Division and Department of Investigation took part in the raid.

-- The Nation 2006-07-19

Bandidos members arrested for Samui land deals

Foreign nationals who invest honestly in Thailand should remain confident that they will not be affected, he said.

Cases involving sites near mountains would be forwarded to the Special Case Investigation Department and other cases will be forwarded to National Counter Corruption Commission as the surveyor allegedly involved in the illegal sales is in the civil service.

-- The Nation 2006-07-19

It will be a nervous time for anyone "investing" in Samui at the moment (or in the recent past). Does anyone know what developments these people were involved in?

The Briton, Peter Watkinjones, 40, was accused of leading a multinational mafia gang which bribed land officials to gain access to public land on the island for sale to foreigners.

the seven were suspected of using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them and they paid bribe to land officials to use land documents elsewhere to forge ownership of public land on the island and sold them to foreigners at steep prices.

Is it possible that this kind of activity is exactly what has encouraged the authorities to look more closely at the forming of Thai companies as a way to acquire land and the sorts of people wishing to come to Thailand? Can't say I blame them.

My Question: Is this Bandidos gang the same as the notorious motorcycle gang in the western United States? If so their influence is certainly spreading to areas I never imagined. In Washington State, the Bandidos are noted for drugs, burglary and mayhem, but hardly ever in any sophisticated crimes.

Yes, this is the same Bandidos. To describe them as "Bandidos Hells Angels" will no doubt have upset both sides as they are not exactly the best of buddies.

They are becoming ever more influential in Thailand especially in Bangkok and Pattaya where they are also becoming far for noticeable too. There are several bars and restaurants in BKK quite openly owned by the Outlaw MC although they tend to be a far less violent brood than BMC.

The Hells Angels Chapter in Thailand had its charter removed several years ago now and this was pretty much a green light for the likes of Bandidos and Outlaws to reap the pickings they left behind.

Just head down to Nana Plaza etc and you can see an ever increasing Bandido presence -mainly farang with several younger Thai "prospects" in tow. As far as the people who watch them are concerned they are mainly the Danish element but these have historically been the most violent outside the USA. Indeed it was in Denmark where the previously mentioned rocket attacks took place.

In the main they have kept their business to themselves in Thailand although the fact that they are becoming increasingly more visual and quite openly recruiting Thai "prospects" is defintley a worrying trend. It is unlikely that they are particularly interested in the Thai prospects for anything other than the fact that they need Thai "members" to legitimise business and property purchase. Put it this way you are not going to see a Thai "prospects" family attempting to rip these guys of I assure you.

Edited by whitespider

English may not be my native language, never to late to learn. ###### not darn, now I’m in “Bee Spelling” instead. Build not built since you said ….“I am happy we bought, are living and building on wonderful Koh Sichang though...”

Amaze properties with title deeds in foreigner’s name in Koh Sichang. Are you a native there register with the blue book?

Thanks for bought not brought.

Your Welcome

Cheers. :D

Title deed in Thai Spouse name, anything else is illegal. I'm in the blue book and if I wanted I could

have a yellow book in my own name - legally.

Have 2 friends not married, gave them lease's on plots (wifes land) 30 year. Building houses for them right now. When finished they ger their own yellow books. All legal.

My point in this thread is Samaui and other places has these "get around the law type deals."

Not for me or anyone who has half a brain. Most are plain ignorant and people exploit that.

And your english is quite good as a second language, really. Alot better then my Thai :o

Peace

I think everyone should give these chaps a chance to explain themselves.

It may turn out to be a case of being given bad advice by a misguided official.

Maybe they were merely following the example set by the very people who run the country.

If that's the case they should recieve the same treatment as them, which prolly means a promotion and wage rise. :o

I was a little disappointed to see someone I know, has been caught up in this situation.

Crispin is one of the nicest guys I met on Samui.

I'd been travelling there for many years and have met him many times.

Always appeared humble, genuine, honest and hard-working. None of the bullshit and shady behaviour that one might come to expect.

You know when you meet decent people. Crispin and his wife are just very nice people.

As to being a member of a violent biker gang, I have to laugh. Yes, he likes motorcycles, but I simply can't see Crispin using violence for violence sake.

He seemed to take a pride in whatever he did and was really happy with the progress of the magazine.

It seems that he's got himself mixed up with the Danes' dodgy dealings.

A real shame.

Brahmburgers: how excellent to see the use of the word "lacksadasical" ! ! I so enjoy to discover the fact that there are still people in this world who actually use the english language properly and to it's fullest extent ! !

:o

I'm sorry - I simply couldn't resist. I think you'll also find there's no apostrophe in "it's" in this usage either...

MMMM...Well as I live and work here, this is no surprise :D As in they tried 8 months ago to sort out the land office, still going on.They, as in the boys and girls who work there, are, I would say they are crapping them selves but the Concise English would no doubt slaughter me for it, so I will use the word worried about all land deals re the Farang 49% etc etc already been discussed IN THE PAST!

The real deal as I see it is, that we, the token Farang, aint Chinese aint Thai, so best you either sell and get the f..k out of dodge! :o

Or put the company in a proper mode as in do what is written down as in Directors etc etc..

So in a Thai's name, wife, gig, boyfriend whatever, then you are at risk again.....Or are you....????mmmmm

:D

Live once long time.........

100 DSI, police officers raid Koh Samui, arrest Briton

Koh Samui, Surat Thani: -- A team of 100 officers from the Crime Suppression Division, Anti-Money Laundering Office and Department of Investigation raided this tourist destination island Tuesday morning and arrested a Briton and three Thais.

The Briton, Peter Watkinjones, 40, was accused of leading a multinational mafia gang which bribed land officials to gain access to public land on the island for sale to foreigners.

The officers, divided into small teams, raided ten spots to try to arrest seven members of the so-called Bandidos gang.

DSI spokesman Pol Col Dussadee Arayawutthi said the three Thai men were identified as Pramual Somwong, a land official, and two ordinary people - Samroeng Buanak and Prateep Muangkaew.

He said a Briton and two Danish men were still elusive.

He said the seven were suspected of using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them and they paid bribe to land officials to use land documents elsewhere to forge ownership of public land on the island and sold them to foreigners at steep prices.

Dussadee said the sale contracts were undervalued as the buyers paid the rest of the money to the gang abroad.

--The Nation 2006-07-18

The question is who wins and who loses here? Why were foreigners allowed to buy and sell land to other foreigners? This is a bit confusing to me.

Should be obvious, thais made money out of it.....

And they likely let them get away with it till money invested in land was too much compared to what they received so they grab the lot....

Donot forget that they say part of money land was sold for was paid outside Thaland which was illegal anyway but I cannot imagine people in Koh Samui were selling land if they didnt want to or if they didnt get money for their land nor even farangs buying it if they didnt get some papers, rental or companywise.

Likely the whole story is a bit different then told. Could even those guys paid for piece of land some Thai politician wanted... Locking them up and kicking them out and grabbing the land would for sure solve that problem. Would be interesting to see who ends up with the land and money they no doubt have somewhere. Or who their (ex) thai partner was...

Now I just wish they do something about these damned timeshare con artists. They work illegal and give everybody a headache.

[

DSI chief General Sombat Amornviwat said his department had received a complaint from British national Neil that the gang had threatened to kill him until he turned over his business last December.

-- The Nation 2006-07-19

Now we're getting down to it -

Surely not the same "Neil" that was formerly in business with Peter at the Bungy Jump and has been trying to discredit him ever since....

Surely not the same "Neil" that is alleged to have pinched some money from said "Bandito's" then pooped his pant's and left the island P.F.Q. and gone into hiding....

Surely not the same "Neil" that has already tried this stunt once already.....

Anybody see a pattern forming....?

Anyway, never seen a major crime lord with a Shitzu as a pet before :o

If I understand correctly what they were doing was to have a legal company, majority Thai,, where the potential farang buyers would for their money NOT get a deed but shares in the company and a seat on the board. Not sure as there are lots of comments but not much info about what they did.

Likely also a house for a minimal rent.

I remember a 6 years ago that a farang and Thai accountant wanted to do a similar thing as one stays away from buying a house, one buys shares in a holding company and opinion at that time was that this was a legal way, as the house wasnt sold.

Buyers of the shares paid a small rent for maintenance etc of a house they rented....

Second advantage was that shareprices can be anything one wants on paper (if necessary could be 1 baht as we have seen a few months ago (g))

In the end they didnt do it as it involved many pieces land all with different value but if done over large area of land it should work. I suspect if this is what happened the fact that there is a loophole allowing to buy land likely caused both the changes made some months ago and what happened in Samui... Putting pressure on people, all I can say is that you are unlikely to find a Hells Angel in Thailand who would advertise it since from what I heard the Outlaws kind of have removed them.

I would more suspect some guys having an argument....

In Phuket I never heard of any fights and main reason seems to be that while in Europe they can easier get out of legal problems with the police, they do dislike Thai jails....

Whatever, give me a Honda dream(g).

English may not be my native language, never to late to learn. ###### not darn, now I’m in “Bee Spelling” instead. Build not built since you said ….“I am happy we bought, are living and building on wonderful Koh Sichang though...”

Amaze properties with title deeds in foreigner’s name in Koh Sichang. Are you a native there register with the blue book?

Thanks for bought not brought.

Your Welcome

Title deed in Thai Spouse name, anything else is illegal. I'm in the blue book and if I wanted I could

have a yellow book in my own name - legally.

Have 2 friends not married, gave them lease's on plots (wifes land) 30 year. Building houses for them right now. When finished they ger their own yellow books. All legal.

My point in this thread is Samaui and other places has these "get around the law type deals."

Not for me or anyone who has half a brain. Most are plain ignorant and people exploit that.

And your english is quite good as a second language, really. Alot better then my Thai :o

Peace

Forum can be useful information. There are exits, side taps around any laws in Thailand, do allow me to give you an example. After this present government came to power in 2001, their priorities were to collect more taxes to pay off IMF. Anyone did legal biz on this land experienced it. Now they have good excuses starting with Koh Samui land scandals. Next the tax department will follow up investigating all title deeds transactions pushing few years back. They knew foreigners bought lands using Thai spouse’s name, paid the deed’s transfer fee [if there’s title deeds] they will check financial background of the owners [Thai spouse] where the hel_l she got the money to buy expensive prime lands? That leads to her foreign spouses to show course how his money came in.

Bear in mind, collecting more taxes shall be their main objective. Secondly, under the table negotiations to reduce taxes to be paid will be official’s blessing. Half a brain or not, ignorance or exploiting for short term gains all foreigners have that in mind, easiest ways are to buy landed properties in Thai spouse names, long term nightmares going another round of corners with two-sided land laws depending which of the one these tax & land officials going to use against fund’s providers to make purchases.

Lastly, pray hard if properties in spouse names. Make sure relationship is everlasting or foreigners may wake up one day accuse of trespassing. :D

They knew foreigners bought lands using Thai spouse’s name, paid the deed’s transfer fee [if there’s title deeds] they will check financial background of the owners [Thai spouse] where the hel_l she got the money to buy expensive prime lands?

From one of our joint accounts

That leads to her foreign spouses to show course how his money came in.

Same place. <deleted>? Is this going some where?

Bear in mind, collecting more taxes shall be their main objective. Secondly, under the table negotiations to reduce taxes to be paid will be official’s blessing. Half a brain or not, ignorance or exploiting for short term gains all foreigners have that in mind, easiest ways are to buy landed properties in Thai spouse names, long term nightmares going another round of corners with two-sided land laws depending which of the one these tax & land officials going to use against fund’s providers to make purchases.

Lastly, pray hard if properties in spouse names. Make sure relationship is everlasting or foreigners may wake up one day accuse of trespassing. :D

Even though this thread is about Samaui, here's the facts of my individual case.

Guess what, you seem xenophobic to me. But that's OK, I see it all the time in some Thai men.

We as a Thai / American couple don't fit any of your preconceived notions. Want to Bet?

She is Thai-American. Has dual citizenship. Thai and American, try to follow here.

* Me and the wife met in School in the USA. Got married there as well. I'd never been to Siam

* We are both the same age. We retired at 45.

* She is jointly on everything I own. We own quite a bit worldwide and we earned it together.

* We have been happily married for 25 years. Have two children 18 and 20.

* The Land officials have known me for over 20 years before we purchased any land here.

So what were you thinking? That my ass is 60 years old and it fell off a barstool in Pattaya

into some Thai Bar Girls arms?

:D:D:D

DPM Chitchai: no current evidence shows that Thai politician involved in the forest encroachment on Samui

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) ฟห indicated that no evidence is able to prove that Thai politicians are involved in issuing illegal land rights documents on Samui (สมุย) Island.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and international police officers have joined hands to arrest Thais and foreigners who paid bribes to land officials as to issue them illegal land rights documents on Samui Island of Surat Thani (สุราษฎร์ธานี). Pol. Gen. Chitchai said that this arrest has resulted from the cooperation between the Scandinavian police officers as the criminals are members of an international mafia group.

He said that if the interrogation finds that Thai politicians intervened in this illegal activity, he will bring them into the persecution process.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 July 2006

:D:o:D

Brahmburgers: how excellent to see the use of the word "lacksadasical" ! ! I so enjoy to discover the fact that there are still people in this world who actually use the english language properly and to it's fullest extent ! !

Oddly my copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary seems to have ommited the word "lacksadasical". It does however include what must be an improper spelling: "lackadaisical". Oh well, it's a living language....

Crispin is as straight a man as you'll ever meet. He and his wife Yu do a 2-month cycle with his publication, Samui-Phangan Real Estate Magazine (widely considered to be one of the leading paper real estate publications on Samui), whereby he sells ads, gets the content to the printers, etc, and he also started up Captain Caveman dive shop. Also, remember that this guy has NOTHING to do with land deals - he runs a media publication. In short, in my basic opinion, the guy has no time to be a criminal and already has established legal businesses, which he takes very seriously. He does drive a nice chopper-style motorbike though. Whilst the guy is very well-built and everything, he is a really nice guy, well-spoken and well-mannered. It's very hard for me to imagine him being violent.

Spike, aka Peter Watkin-Jones, is not Australian, though he was alledgedly in the Aussie navy... past that, there's no connection - he's English. He is involved in the Bungy Jump and the Billabong Surf Club.

Thanks Pi Sek for sticking to the subject matter, and Malice on Samui you seem to know alot, fair play to you.

I agree, Crispin is a nice guy with a family, good business and it's hard to believe he's involved with something like this.

Peter, Spike or Chirpy Pete as he's been known over the last 5 years has always been a fun loveing guy.

With the Bandidos it's very difficult to know, all organised crime has it's levels, governments etc. My only concern is that they will be used as the "scape goats".

It's very difficult to speculate and easy to point the fingure. I'd like to here of any threats Pete or Crispin has made because it doesn't sound like them to me. I also can only see the Bungy jump property as a point of refference between them.

Pete doesn't have a bike, likes to dabble in the land game, Crispin has a great bike and doesn't seem to be purchaseing property.

My concerns go out to the both of them. I hope the Thai government is accurate in there case and jusitice will prevail. If they have been foolish the punishment should fit the crime, if they are proven to be the gang overlords on Samui then i'll be shocked.

Time will tell and lets not all hang them out to dry just yet.

Like most news "stories" in Thailand it seems that we will have to wait a while before the facts come out. But no doubt this exotic story of "motorcycle gangs" and "land grabs" will further damage the already tarnished image of Samui. The island still has great potential but local and regional government will really have to get a grip on things and sort out the issues at the land office and all the other areas of chaos that seem to be afflicting the island.

They knew foreigners bought lands using Thai spouse’s name, paid the deed’s transfer fee [if there’s title deeds] they will check financial background of the owners [Thai spouse] where the hel_l she got the money to buy expensive prime lands?

From one of our joint accounts

That leads to her foreign spouses to show course how his money came in.

Same place. <deleted>? Is this going some where?

Even though this thread is about Samaui, here's the facts of my individual case.

Guess what, you seem xenophobic to me. But that's OK, I see it all the time in some Thai men.

We as a Thai / American couple don't fit any of your preconceived notions. Want to Bet?

She is Thai-American. Has dual citizenship. Thai and American, try to follow here.

* Me and the wife met in School in the USA. Got married there as well. I'd never been to Siam

* We are both the same age. We retired at 45.

* She is jointly on everything I own. We own quite a bit worldwide and we earned it together.

* We have been happily married for 25 years. Have two children 18 and 20.

* The Land officials have known me for over 20 years before we purchased any land here.

So what were you thinking? That my ass is 60 years old and it fell off a barstool in Pattaya

into some Thai Bar Girls arms?

:D:D:D

Public forum site is to gain knowledge & information. Nothing personal, perhaps I shouldn’t be curious since this site most foreigners in general seek opinions & a place to hangout, etc.

My post #25 replying to Post #19 was just a normal radiating quires where foreigners buy lands in Thailand. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...76140&st=15

My post #25 started with “Just wandering, nothing important actually….”

Your post #28 teaches spelling mistakes acknowledged with thanks via my post #63

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...76140&st=60

Your 1st paragraph of post #70 “Title deed in Thai Spouse name, anything else is illegal.”

As I said before, English was not my native language. But don’t you think above sentence is amazing? Oh! Forgotten you knew Land officials more then 20 years before buying island lands.

My post #78 starting line “Forum can be useful information.” Meant for general information which I believe many foreigner encountered unpleasant experiences.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...76140&st=75

With regards to your above post, I’m mind being a bigot to you since you had mistook what I had written.

Ok being xenophobic, still amaze being 45 now, knew Land officials for over 20 years. These officials your seniors or you knew them while in school 20 over years ago or as said “never been to Siam” before, so these officials get to know you in US? You are a lucky man.

Congratulations, you must be the luckiest man in Koh Sichang as those Land officials you knew 20 years ago must be in top senior position now providing you valuable land affairs information.

Reply to your last paragraph. I should have kept my ass on high stools releasing my gases through the centre hole with correct alignment. Why only Pattaya? Koh Samui, Koh Sichang didn’t have bar girls with open arms waiting?

Cheers! Think I knew the PM when he was 20.

I doubt these "Scum-didos" or whatever the fat, greasy, unwashed losers call themselves have anything like the muscle claimed by people here. :D

Anyone who wears leather jackets with colors in the heat of Phuket or Bangkok is a show pony, flag waving, try hard, attempting to add depth to their shallow, pitiful lives.

These outlaw bikers are tough only in a gang, one on one most could not pull the skin off a rice pudding in a real blue unless armed and out-numbering the opponent.

They are usually so overweight and flatulent the only danger they pose is from the smell they give off. Unless fuelled by a nose full of speed they are just slobs who could not run out of sight in a heavy fog. :D

These people are like all crooks and other assorted low-life, they will come around late at night and shoot you in the back to show how tough and mean they are. They will terrorize the innocent and law-abiding in the name of some over-inflated boys club code. :o

The sooner Thailand runs them out of town the better. Better still, put them in Big Tiger for a few decades and see how tough they are then. Most of these types when faced with real jail time would sell their own mothers out to save their own overfed <deleted>.

Hells Angels, Bandidos, Outlaws etc, just look at the names they use. Overgrown kids who have watched Scarface, The Godfather and the Sopranos too many times.

The sooner they "get on their bikes" and piss off the better Thailand will be. :D

I doubt these "Scum-didos" or whatever the fat, greasy, unwashed losers call themselves have anything like the muscle claimed by people here. :D

Anyone who wears leather jackets with colors in the heat of Phuket or Bangkok is a show pony, flag waving, try hard, attempting to add depth to their shallow, pitiful lives.

These outlaw bikers are tough only in a gang, one on one most could not pull the skin off a rice pudding in a real blue unless armed and out-numbering the opponent.

They are usually so overweight and flatulent the only danger they pose is from the smell they give off. Unless fuelled by a nose full of speed they are just slobs who could not run out of sight in a heavy fog. :D

These people are like all crooks and other assorted low-life, they will come around late at night and shoot you in the back to show how tough and mean they are. They will terrorize the innocent and law-abiding in the name of some over-inflated boys club code. :o

The sooner Thailand runs them out of town the better. Better still, put them in Big Tiger for a few decades and see how tough they are then. Most of these types when faced with real jail time would sell their own mothers out to save their own overfed <deleted>.

Hells Angels, Bandidos, Outlaws etc, just look at the names they use. Overgrown kids who have watched Scarface, The Godfather and the Sopranos too many times.

The sooner they "get on their bikes" and piss off the better Thailand will be. :D

How so true.

These people are the closest thing to the missing link.They take humanity back into the dark ages.

Round-up of alleged land scammers 'could hurt image'

SURAT THANI: -- The governor of Surat Thani expressed concern yesterday that a round-up of foreigners allegedly involved in land scams on Koh Samui may affect the province's business image.

Three foreigners - alleged to be members of an international motorcycle gang - and a Thai government surveyor were arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of illegal land sales on the resort island.

Provincial governor Wichit Wichaisan said the land-ownership probe and inquiry into alleged members of the Bandidos gang should be carried out carefully. Complaints had poured in about the land-title checks.

Wichit said he would not demand land-ownership checks for all districts of Surat Thani as that would interrupt new business in this tourist province, which has attracted many investors.

However, Ruangnam Jaikwang, president of the Surat Thani Tourism Association, said he wanted officials to use the opportunity to bring about order. He said investors should be confident that if they bought land in the area, they would not have legal problems later on.

Ruangnam admitted that news had affected investment, but he believed investors would return.

Meanwhile, the three foreign accused had lawyers present during interrogation at the Department of Special Investigations (DSI) office in Bangkok.

The three are British nationals, Crispin John Granville Paton-Smith, 43, and Peter Watkin Jones, 40, and Dane, Kim Lindegaard Nielsen, 36.

The DSI director for foreign affairs, Colonel Narat Svestanan, said Paton-Smith and Neilsen did not speak during the interview because they would give testimony in court.

However, Peter Watkin Jones told police he had nothing to do with the land sales and was not a Bandidos member.

Police suspect Jones might have been misled by the Bandidos into renting them a property they used for gang meetings, Narat said.

The DSI was considering bail for Jones, but opposed bail for the other suspects.

The alleged Thai accomplice, Pramual Somwong, was bailed.

Meanwhile, a fact-finding team would look into the Peak Property project on Samui, which allegedly acquired land irregularly, caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana said.

Some officials were already under investigation in the case, but the minister declined to give names. Those found to be involved would be punished, he said.

In related news, the National Human Rights Commission is investigating nearly 100 houses under threat from plans for a dam in Surat Thani's Muang district. The homes are owned by fishermen in the Na Dan community, who are also concerned about plans to pave an 885-metre stretch of the Tapi River. The fishermen use the Tapi River to moor their boats.

-- The Nation 2006-07-20

Thanks Pi Sek for sticking to the subject matter, and Malice on Samui you seem to know alot, fair play to you.

I agree, Crispin is a nice guy with a family, good business and it's hard to believe he's involved with something like this.

Peter, Spike or Chirpy Pete as he's been known over the last 5 years has always been a fun loveing guy.

With the Bandidos it's very difficult to know, all organised crime has it's levels, governments etc. My only concern is that they will be used as the "scape goats".

It's very difficult to speculate and easy to point the fingure. I'd like to here of any threats Pete or Crispin has made because it doesn't sound like them to me. I also can only see the Bungy jump property as a point of refference between them.

Pete doesn't have a bike, likes to dabble in the land game, Crispin has a great bike and doesn't seem to be purchaseing property.

My concerns go out to the both of them. I hope the Thai government is accurate in there case and jusitice will prevail. If they have been foolish the punishment should fit the crime, if they are proven to be the gang overlords on Samui then i'll be shocked.

So it is Spikey Pete. I did know Peter Jones a year ago or so and investigated putting some money into one of his ventures. It was a townhouse complex specifically. I did a lot of research and ultimately decided not to invest but Peter is a straight-up guy. He's so flat out involved in his bungy jump, Billabong pub and other ventures not to mention the townhouses that he wouldn't likely even have time to get involved with something as blatently illegal as the Bandidos. Pete is a talker and kind of never shuts up but that's as bad a thing as I can think of to say about him. Having spent a lot of time in a lot of countries over a lot of years, I have an unfailing accuracy when it comes to sizing people up, especially after spending a fair amount of time with them. Based on what I know about Peter, there's no way he's guilty of anything. Others have made similar comments about Kim the Dane, it really looks like the authorities are playing the 'lets find someone to blame' game.

BTW, I do remember now that Pete was born in England and therefore the "Brit national" reference but he was raised in Australia as anybody who's talked to him would immediately recognize.

I wonder how he was making out with his ECO A, B, C and D townhouses? Anybody know how those project came along/are coming along?

So it is Spikey Pete. I did know Peter Jones a year ago or so and investigated putting some money into one of his ventures. It was a townhouse complex specifically. I did a lot of research and ultimately decided not to invest but Peter is a straight-up guy. He's so flat out involved in his bungy jump, Billabong pub and other ventures not to mention the townhouses that he wouldn't likely even have time to get involved with something as blatently illegal as the Bandidos. Pete is a talker and kind of never shuts up but that's as bad a thing as I can think of to say about him. Having spent a lot of time in a lot of countries over a lot of years, I have an unfailing accuracy when it comes to sizing people up, especially after spending a fair amount of time with them. Based on what I know about Peter, there's no way he's guilty of anything. Others have made similar comments about Kim the Dane, it really looks like the authorities are playing the 'lets find someone to blame' game.

BTW, I do remember now that Pete was born in England and therefore the "Brit national" reference but he was raised in Australia as anybody who's talked to him would immediately recognize.

I wonder how he was making out with his ECO A, B, C and D townhouses? Anybody know how those project came along/are coming along?

It is good to see some support from people who know rather than the mis-informed rabble who pounce on any opportunity to condemn without trial.

I have known both Crispin and Pete for some years now and cannot believe either would be involved in the crimes they are accused of. What I do believe is that a certain gentlemen named in an earlier post (Neil) is trying to exact some vengeance for being "asked to leave the island". Why was he asked to leave - because he was blatantly involved in exactly the crimes Pete and Crispin have been accused of, and was a known drug dealer along with another low life whose first name was Eric. They were seen tooled up and and boasting how they were going to take over the islands businesses but then things got too hot for them and they had to leave. They then started a revenge cycle with complaints to various Embassies which has resulted in this debacle. These are the guys the boys in brown should be looking for not two hard working straight guys.

Round-up of alleged land scammers 'could hurt image'

SURAT THANI: -- The governor of Surat Thani expressed concern yesterday that a round-up of foreigners allegedly involved in land scams on Koh Samui may affect the province's business image.

Business Image? Take a long look at the roads, the infrastrucure and the accident rate;that's what is making Samui an international joke.How long can tourists keep asking "Where does the 18.5 Billion Baht we spent here last year actually go???" It certainly builds plenty of wide well-made roads in Surrathani Province...

Ruangnam admitted that news had affected investment, but he believed investors would return.

Affected it enough that Bangkok big-wigs will be going around buying land cheap during the "engineered crisis??" :o

-- The Nation 2006-07-20

I would have bet money the word was lacks.....

However Collins & Merriam Webster both have it as : lackadaisical ;

lacking vitality & purpose ; lazy & careless ; lacking life spirit or zest.

Well done boys.

Rather than lazy I see the land office officials as greedy bastards who get rich selling off public lands ; irregardless

ha ha very funny. If you treat something with regard it implies a courtesy or respect. if you are regardless you are without respect. Likewise if you treat something with irregard, it is without respect. To treat something with irregardless, is without no respect , a double negative, a no-no. Irregardless and with regard are synonomous.

Quite wrong on all counts.

'Irregardless' is a word that should only be used tongue in cheek; it is derived from the words 'irrespective' and 'regardless'.

I met a guy on Samui called Neil a couple of years ago. He was working at the Samui Bungy jump. He tried to sell me some land in the hills. Something about him was not right. I declined his kind offer. What a lucky B*****d I am!