English tourists don't want to go to Scotland 'whatever the result of the vote'

webfact

English tourists don't want to go to Scotland "whatever the result of the vote"

LONDON, England - English tourists are cancelling holidays to Scotland because they fear "ill feeling" towards them after the referendum, it emerged today.

Travel firms north of the border say holiday-makers have contacted them saying they don't want to go to Scotland whatever the result of the vote.

It was also claimed other English travellers have also cancelled planned breaks because they say they no longer want to support Scotland if it becomes independent.

Amber Swinton, property manager at Unique Cottages, said: "We have had numerous phone calls from customers stating that if we do become independent then they will no longer we willing to support Scotland and won’t be returning for a holiday.

"But of more concern is that people are cancelling holidays they had booked for next year irrelevant of the outcome of the vote."

She said her company usually had a number of repeat customers from England who booked their Scottish summer holidays immediately after returning from their last one, who had not done so this year.

"A large proportion of our market is from England, as is the case for many other tourism companies like us," she said. "We have a lot of clients who are passionate about Scotland, who holiday here every year, who have not come back yet this year, which is unusual. It is very worrying."

Ms Swinton told The Scotsman her company had been deluged with emails from concerned tourists from England.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/50491/english-tourists-dont-want-go-scotland-whatever-result-vote

-- ETN 2014-09-19

She said her company usually had a number of repeat customers from England who booked their Scottish summer holidays immediately after returning from their last one, who had not done so this year.

Surprised that the feeling runs so deep. This will be about people who always spent their holidays staying at the same hotel, guesthouse or B and B, presumably getting along well with the owners.

Would be interesting if some English readers could comment.

Edited by keestha

Don't know about anyone else, but I for one love Scotland and the Scottish people (with a few exceptions) . . . lovely place to visit, especially out in the wilds a bit, and I always had fun in Glasgow too around the student areas.

Independent or not, I'd still visit . . . although as I'm in Thailand I guess it won't be any time soon.

• Like 1

I too worked in Scotland for two years and it was only then I came anywhere near understanding the troubles in Northern Ireland. I have never experienced in the British Isles such ill feeling towards others of the same nationality on account of their religious convictions. It was a well known that for a long time no catholic would ever play for Rangers at least on that count I believe things have improved. I heard views expressed about the English which when I looked at the present campaign left me ambivalent as to whether they remained part of the UK or not.

• Like 1

If they are judging Scottish sentiment based on the aggressive rantings of some drunken Celtic fans, then they are sorely mistaken.

Are you implying that the yes camp (45% of the country) are comprised of 'drunken Celtic fans'

And that a nationalistic ideal of independence is 'aggressive ranting'

I am neither Scottish nor in the yes camp - but to dismiss a huge portion of the country thus says even more in less faltering terms about you Than you say of them. Perhaps read a few of the previous posts and ponder on why for centuries the scots arch enemies are in fact the scots.

Edited by getthaid

I guess this sort of sentiment will be quickly forgotten as a result of the NO vote with a fairly comfortable majority.

What won't be forgotten is the impact on English aspirations for domestic powers commensurate with the devolultion that has already taken place in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. Cameron's call for "English votes for English laws" is going to get legs, while the Westminster party leaders are not going to be able to deliver all of what they promised to Scotland at the last minute without bringing their backbences on side.

• Like 2

People like to go on holiday to a place where they feel they are appreciated, and the number of "YES" voters could easily dull this feeling. Great place though, especially up the west coast, and I think it will all blow over very quickly with no outward manifestations of dislike for the poor Sassenach :)

<snip>

Huge over reaction if the story is true.

A very big 'if' in my opinion; I doubt very many, if any at all, English people will have cancelled, or consider cancelling, Scottish holidays; whatever the result.

Scots may complain about the English, but in a sort of 'don't take it seriously' kind of way.

Although one may find that hard to believe based on some of the posts from some of the Yes supporters in the various Scottish independence topics on TV!

When I used to work there a few years ago in Glasgow I could hardly understand the waiters in the Indian and Chinese restaurants who though they were sort of ethnic they spoke with a very broad Glasgow accent.

Surprisingly it is easy for German speaker who learned English as their second language to understand Scottish dialect.

They some kind of speak the English as if it would be German, rofl.....

But of course that only counts for mild cases.....

I too worked in Scotland for two years and it was only then I came anywhere near understanding the troubles in Northern Ireland. I have never experienced in the British Isles such ill feeling towards others of the same nationality on account of their religious convictions. It was a well known that for a long time no catholic would ever play for Rangers at least on that count I believe things have improved. I heard views expressed about the English which when I looked at the present campaign left me ambivalent as to whether they remained part of the UK or not.

It is not that no Catholic would play for Rangers, the old Rangers (that's the ones who no longer exist) would not sign Catholics until 1986 when Graeme Souness took over.

• Like 1

If they are judging Scottish sentiment based on the aggressive rantings of some drunken Celtic fans, then they are sorely mistaken.

Are you implying that the yes camp (45% of the country) are comprised of 'drunken Celtic fans'

I am neither Scottish nor in the yes camp - but to dismiss a huge portion of the country thus says even more in less faltering terms about you Than you say of them. Perhaps read a few of the previous posts and ponder on why for centuries the scots arch enemies are in fact the scots.

There are far more drunken Rangers fans than Celtic fans. Just look around Glasgows street around the 12th July. I rest my case.

People like to go on holiday to a place where they feel they are appreciated, and the number of "YES" voters could easily dull this feeling. Great place though, especially up the west coast, and I think it will all blow over very quickly with no outward manifestations of dislike for the poor Sassenach smile.png

People like to go on holiday to a place where they feel they are appreciated. If that's true, why do so many go to Thailand? smile.png

I find it hard to take the OP seriously. What about the thousands of English who live in Scotland?. Do they feel threatened.?.

Sure, there may be one or two short sighted people who have cancelled (maybe remembering the North Wales burning of holiday homes some years ago).

I think the travel agency should consider the economic climate as well.

Scotland is a great place to live or visit.

• Like 1

There are far more drunken Rangers fans than Celtic fans. Just look around Glasgows street around the 12th July. I rest my case.

But they are not vehemently anti-English, far from it.

Nor are most Yes voters vehemently anti-English for that matter, except perhaps for our witless parliamentarians.

But the aggressive Celtic yobs are.

And it is probably seeing videos of these horrible louts that have put off holidaymakers.

• Like 1

But they are not vehemently anti-English, far from it.

Nor are most Yes voters vehemently anti-English for that matter, except perhaps for our witless parliamentarians.

But the aggressive Celtic yobs are.

And it is probably seeing videos of these horrible louts that have put off holidaymakers.

I'm not anti English, like I said, if you want to see aggressive yobs, watch the marches around the 12th July, drunken yobs and bigots everywhere, on the pavements and on the roads, in the parks, throwing bottles at 13 year old girls, was that aggressive Celtic yobs? What about all that destruction in Manchester? Was that aggressive Celtic yobs? Every football club has a minority of aggressive yobs, but with the now defunct Glasgow Rangers, and that new club The Rangers, the aggressive yobs are well in the majority. Do I have to repeat myself? Look all around you in the West of Scotland near the 12th July, what do you see? a large majority of bigoted aggressive drunken Rangers supporters. Again I rest my case, this discussion is now finished.

I am Scottish and in general most Scots would say they don't like England which is different from not liking the English as individuals. This is a historical thing and will never change. On an individual level Scots are I believe the most hospitable people in the world and this also will never change whatever the nationality. Huge over reaction if the story is true.

Yes I would agree with this comment...The Scots don't like the English as a nation but they are wonderful warm people and having been to Scotland several times would love to go back every year....A warm friendly passionate people who also as probably people on here know..enjoy a good time too !

My son, who is English, married an Edinburgh girl and has lived there for 15 years. He has twice over those years been attacked for speaking with an English accent. A Scot living in England might get called 'Jock' or might be teased about being careful with his money, but he would never have been attacked.

Jerry Adams tweeted his comment, on the result, that Scotland voted to stay in the U.K.

Bet Northern Ireland is next in this charade of voting, for independence.

Independent N.I.

Rules itself, troubles over.

Not sure the large Unionist population would agree with you, or Mr Adams who is a member of the Republic of Ireland parliament.

• Like 1