Buying half-decent motorbike tools

darkian

I sometimes get the feeling that in Asia I could go into a shop visibly full to the brim with bathroom taps, and I'd ask to buy a bathroom tap and show a sketch of something which could be nothing other than a bathroom tap, and I'd be given a weak smile and told "Ooh sorry no have!"

I'm trying to find a few tools, mainly a spark plug spanner, and even in bike workshops piled high with spanners and bits of engine, nobody has an old plug spanner for me. I'd happily pay $10 for one.

Is there any particular area of Bangkok that would be best for finding this kind of thing? I remember down in Chinatown seeing tons of vehicles breakers etc.

Also would be nice to buy a good quality socket spanner set - but none of your Big C rubbish. Again, not sure where to start with this! Any ideas appreciated!

Dont know where to get a plug spanner. But all new bikes should have one in their toolset. And there are different sizes of course. You have to ask around i guess.

For tools:

Veerasiamhardware has top quality, but not cheap of course:

http://www.veerasiamhardware.com/VeeraSiamHardware/tabid/94/Default.aspx

Hardwarehouse has a good selection of lower priced tools:

http://hardwarehouse.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=94

Edited by wantan

Thanks for the suggestions. Veerasiam had everything I needed, and like when I went to Panda, I walked out with far less money in my pocket than when I went in. Bike and tool shops, dangerous...

That said, a deep plug socket and bar can be had there for 300 baht the pair, really good quality. I decided to buy that plus a complete socket set and a few other bits. I'm happy to pay for quality tools because I know the difference - as a kid working on bikes my dad always had good solid English hardware, and so I just can't stand the horrible Big C type rubbish.

• Like 2

There's a big general tool / hardware shop up near the Klong Tan side of Sukhumvit 71 (Phrakhanong). As you go up S 71 from Sukhumvit it's on the LHS about 50 metres before the bridge over the klong. Dunno about a plug spanner but they've got a good selection of other tools. I bought some decent chromed 8,10,12,14 and 17 T spanners (around THB 250-300 baht each I think).

I ordered a decent set of CRUZ tools that I carry when I ride, from EBay. CRUZ has basic sets to fairly complete kits. Reasonable quality.

Wasn't that expensive, but shipping wasn't cheap.

But I do like to have a kit with everything held firmly in place and as compact as can be.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=motorcycle+toolkit&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmotorcycle+toolkit+CRUZ&_nkw=motorcycle+toolkit+CRUZ&_sacat=0

'I sometimes get the feeling that in Asia I could go into a shop visibly full to the brim with bathroom taps, and I'd ask to buy a bathroom tap and show a sketch of something which could be nothing other than a bathroom tap, and I'd be given a weak smile and told "Ooh sorry no have!" ' Made me laugh! Although I usually take the old part or a picture of the item I've downloaded from the net.

Pattaya is hopeless when it comes to good engineering or hardware shops! And True Value is usually way to expensive.