Name change

Me and my girlfriend got married yesterday but sent the online application for a uk visit visa four days prior, saying we where engaged on the application as we were not married at the time the form was sent, but added a note on the paper copy explaining that got married after the application was made, along with certificates, translations and all the other sh*t

If we now go to her local amphur and change her surname to mine, she will be required to get a new ID card. As she has handed in a copy of her ID card in the application, which has her old name, If she is approved and gets the visa but she has changed her name and got a new ID, will it make problems when the time comes to travel to the UK? Plus what will it mean if she has a passport with her old name and a VISA for UK but an ID card with new name?

There is no obligation in either UK or Thai law for a woman to take her husband's surname upon marriage; so she could avoid any possible problems by not changing her name; at least until after she returns to Thailand from the visit.

May I suggest that you either change everything or nothing.

It is when half your paperwork is in one surname and the other half in another that eyebrows are raised.

My wife still uses her maiden name after 2 kids and 9 years of marriage, it is just easier for us. Some of her friends have changed their names on everything with no immigration problems.

The only friends that I have heard of having trouble have a Police Check, bank accounts, health clearance etc in their maiden name; and their passport, ID card, house book etc in their married name. These are however Australian/ Thai couples only.

YES SHE CAN!

why change her name, just add yours on the end of hers easier. , I don't think she can get an ID card with your name on it,

Ok as i said i was not certain , So how does that affect her buying land in Thailand with her husbands name on her id card.

Edited by Thongkorn

No effect whatsoever; she is still a Thai citizen and still has all the rights of a Thai citizen.

You're rather assuming that Thais are allowed to exercise their rights.

I had heard that a Thai with a foreign husband had to obtain a declaration from him that the money was not provided by him and that he would have no claim on the property. Has this practice now ceased?

I had to sign such a declaration when we, sorry my wife, bought our house. I can't remember the exact wording, but I think it was not so much that I didn't provide the money but that if I had then it was a gift to her and so I had no claim over the land.

But that has nothing to do with her taking my surname. I would still have had to do the same had she kept her maiden name.