Uk To Swelter Hotter Than Bangkok

rainman

Temperatures could reach an all-time high in Britain on Wednesday as a heatwave tightens its grip, forecasters said.

There is a 30 percent chance Britain would swelter in its hottest-ever day, leaving Bangkok, Athens and the Caribbean in the shade, the Met Office said on Tuesday.

The highest temperature ever recorded in Britain was 38.5 Celsius (101.3 Fahrenheit) at Faversham in Kent, on Aug. 10, 2003.

"It is possible that the all-time record could be broken," the Met Office said.

The Department of Health warned that elderly people and young children should stay indoors and drink plenty of water.

"These temperatures are high enough to give rise to significant health risks," the government said.

Bookmakers have slashed the odds on thermometers reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.7 C).

"We could easily be left red faced on Wednesday," said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.

British workers should be allowed to leave their ties and jackets at home and go to work wearing shorts in a bid to stay cool, said the Trades Union Congress, which represents 70 unions with nearly seven million members.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/07/18/...reut/index.html

I have not experienced people complaining! Although we are all soaked in sweat and feeling a tad uncomfortable. We would have to have the hot weather for longer to acclimatise. I can't remember so many hot days in one summer.

I have not experienced people complaining! Although we are all soaked in sweat and feeling a tad uncomfortable. We would have to have the hot weather for longer to acclimatise. I can't remember so many hot days in one summer.

I agree Suegha, ive heard no complaints about the heat and everyone is in the best mood ever - the only moaning I hear is that we are currently stuck in the office and should be in the beer garden - roll on the weekend, more bbq's all round :o

Much rather be here. But then again London is a great place to be in summer as long as the weather is good. Free festivals in Richmond and drinks by the river in Hammersmith with a few mates playing guitar and so on and so on.

I live in Berlin with my thai wife - we´ve had glorious weather the far side of 30 degrees ever since the beginning of the World Cup - it was a piffling 37 degrees yesterday but we´re now back down to a steady 34 degrees - and it´s supposed to continue well into next week with no change in sight. I think it´s great........ give me thai-style weather any time in preference to long, cold and miserable winters in Europe................