Response to people asking questions on forum rather than looking on google

BigC

It is my pet hate. TV used to be for that very thing but now if you dare to ask a question more often than not you get a smart a@$ed anwer telling you Google is your friend or to just use the search option. Sometimes though doing the above just gets you pages of out of date info whereas asking here can get you an answer from someone that has the very answer you want and is willing to post the answer you need.

thumbsup.gif

Having "liked" the previous smart a--- google comment, but being too slow to realise that it was intended in that manner, on reflection, I quite agree with you PiPiFFS.

It's been a while since this forum was as friendly as it was.

A bit of a pity that really.

Consequently I have "unliked" my "like" even though I love Google as a tool and will always use it first before coming on here to do so, for the very reasons mentioned above.

On that note but I guess slightly off topic, I tried to Google to find out where Cafe Zazen went to from the new Central Festival. Does anyone know?

Shame really it was a smart and nice looking place with great beer.

It has left quite a void. I checked their Facebook page but nothing is mentioned there.

Has it moved somewhere or just closed down?

Bit off topic as I said, but not really in the sense that I'm doing a Visa vs. Google test!

It is my pet hate. TV used to be for that very thing but now if you dare to ask a question more often than not you get a smart a@$ed anwer telling you Google is your friend or to just use the search option. Sometimes though doing the above just gets you pages of out of date info whereas asking here can get you an answer from someone that has the very answer you want and is willing to post the answer you need.

thumbsup.gif

Having "liked" the previous smart a--- google comment, but being too slow to realise that it was intended in that manner, on reflection, I quite agree with you PiPiFFS.

Consequently I have "unliked" my "like" even though I love Google as a tool and will always use it first before coming on here to do so, for the very reasons mentioned above.

On that note but I guess slightly off topic, I tried to Google to find out where Cafe Zazen went to from the new Central Festival. Does anyone know?

It has left quite a void. I checked their Facebook page but nothing is mentioned there.

Bit off topic as I said, but not really in the sense that I'm doing a Visa vs. Google test!

Is Zazen the one next to The Coffee Club? (Belgium beers etc). If so, it was there two weeks ago when I last visited Central Festival.

This argument about outside links which may contain outdated info depends very much what site and type of information.

For example, a whole of of info is on wikipedia, which usually gets updated with current info. So, the argument goes both ways, if we don't mention about resources elsewhere, then the info which was a reply to a question here on thaivisa may with time be outdated too.

One should always try to "educate" people to help themselves. I see all the time questions which if they just bothered to do some work themselves, they would be able to get their answers.

So if the answer which we provide by replying a question asked here on thaivisa, came from an external site, then naturally it should be mandatory to mention this fact, so people can learn to help themselves in the future.

• Like 1

I went there Friday night when I arrived. Was quite looking forward to some mussels and chips. Was quite shocked to see the doors closed, and the workmen in there stripping everything. Perhaps a sign of how quiet things are on the island. Plus the rents there can't be cheap.

Back on topic. I sometimes think, "You could have Googled that." But in places such as this where things seem to change so quickly, and shops, restaurants etc, come and go, it is nice to be able to ask a question of people living and working here and get up to date info.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yes, of course, when it comes to local questions like that, the best solution is to ask on the forums because it's probably the only way to get up to date info.

But for example question regarding the AngThong national park in another thread could have been very easily found by google.

Post discussing general moderation on TV removed. To the OP concerned , please consult rule copied & pasted below re correct procedures.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

OP - the problem on Thaivisa.com forums is that far too many TVF members are skirting mental illness and or are just plain drunk or hungover... Some seem to think that they are comedians when 10,000 comedians are out of a job...

Thaivisa forums is fast becoming a wasteland of 'gottcha' mentality people who have no life. So they fill it will quick jabs to hurt people in a sort of sadistic way... No rules will be made to control this and maintain civility because some think it is 'cool' to be a sniping jackanape...

As a result - those who ask well intended questions become targets for the marginally functioning mentalities ...

As opposed to over educated Kentucky hillbillies whose only contribution to this thread is to be rude and insulting? (and I am neither drunk nor hungover wai.gif )

Edited by Tropicalevo

OP - the problem on Thaivisa.com forums is that far too many TVF members are skirting mental illness and or are just plain drunk or hungover... Some seem to think that they are comedians when 10,000 comedians are out of a job...

Thaivisa forums is fast becoming a wasteland of 'gottcha' mentality people who have no life. So they fill it will quick jabs to hurt people in a sort of sadistic way... No rules will be made to control this and maintain civility because some think it is 'cool' to be a sniping jackanape...

As a result - those who ask well intended questions become targets for the marginally functioning mentalities ...

As opposed to over educated Kentucky hillbillies whose only contribution to this thread is to be rude and insulting? (and I am neither drunk nor hungover wai.gif )

Just giving back in kind to demonstrate to those who practice daily their thoughtless ways.

So this topic is I assume a response to an answer I gave in another topic. If I caused offence, I didn't mean to but there are people on here and various other sites that ask questions that with just a tiny little bit of research would save themselves time and the 'effort' of having to post on a forum. Was it not on here a few years ago, someone was asking where to buy a toothbrush? Silly questions IMHO and I will stand by with what I said.

So this topic is I assume a response to an answer I gave in another topic. If I caused offence, I didn't mean to but there are people on here and various other sites that ask questions that with just a tiny little bit of research would save themselves time and the 'effort' of having to post on a forum. Was it not on here a few years ago, someone was asking where to buy a toothbrush? Silly questions IMHO and I will stand by with what I said.

I saw a post the other day where a regular asked a question about working. I thought it was reasonable because with the new government, where there haven't been changes in visas etc., there have been rumors of changes. I thought the OP was right in asking for current information.

Another poster jumped all over his bones and chewed him out for not using the search function or Google. It was downright rude.

I didn't like it and I let the antagonist know it in the thread. I got some "likes."

I agree that some people are rude, apparently for the sake of being rude and just IMHO those are troll posts. Maybe they aren't by forum rules, but I don't like them.

• Like 1

People also say " of you could be bothered to look it up ok google "

Let's break this down

It takes longer to write a topic and wait for an answer than it does to search google

Which means people ask on here to get like people mention up to date answers

I mean where do you reckon google get the answers from

Posts, websites, forums

I bet if you typed into google where Zazen cafe is in central and the topic was already on TV then there's your link

Hence the source started right here

Forums and questions is what makes up part of google. Google isn't some magic thing that updates all by itself without people manually enquiring and asking questions

So for the person that made that stupid comment on another thread. Remember that just because he typed it into google and got an answer could mean that the answer was put there from someone else asking the same question

"I didn't like it and I let the antagonist know it in the thread. I got some "likes.""

You must be one of the special ones, every time I do that I get "deleted" and most likely earn a suspension point!

• Like 1

In the old days it was:

No question is a dumb question.

Today it should be:

No question is a dumb question unless you cant find the answer through a Google search.

Questions about local things of course are cool. But, many things are better researched through the internet first. People just dont understand how good Google is as an information sharing tool for just about anything you could ever imagine. Its the world's dictionary, encyclopedia, and book of knowledge at your fingertips 24hrs a day for infinity. The real information age started 24 years ago and many people still havent caught up. Just gotta have patience for the older generation :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How many times have you "Googled" a question and up pops..... Thaivisa?

Bear with me on this one. I see many posts that say the post was deleted" by the mod for whatever reason. I'm just wondering if a record is kept of the offenders? Maybe there should be and repeaters get banned. That would stop the nonsense to some degree wouldn't it?

Google search does not exist without people's contributions in whatever forum etc........ You have to have input to have output. Old cliche.biggrin.png

Agree but I dont know of a single topic other than MAYBE something local that you cant find on a Goggle search before coming here first. Can you name something?

Google search does not exist without people's contributions in whatever forum etc........ You have to have input to have output. Old cliche.biggrin.png

Agree but I dont know of a single topic other than MAYBE something local that you cant find on a Goggle search before coming here first. Can you name something?

Really?

Agree but I dont know of a single topic other than MAYBE something local

What do you think this forum is all about?Where do you think Google search gets the info from?

Really?

Agree but I dont know of a single topic other than MAYBE something local

What do you think this forum is all about?Where do you think Google search gets the info from?

And hence why this question was asked. Bottom line if you dont go to google and or do a forum search first you might get called on it. And IMO you deserve to. And this kind of attitude is why I wrote that there are stupid questions in this day and age....

Folks - you don't have to read what someone posts as a topic thread... you really don't - unless you have obsessive - compulsive disorder...

So what is it to you if someone posts a question that could have been answered on google or bing ? Does it harm you in some way?

What is it with the compulsion by some TVF members that they have to CONTROL what other people do and say ... Is there some sort of contagious 'Control Freak' disorder being passed around on TVF?

What ever happened to 'Mai pen rai' -- no big deal - to each his own - live and let live ... to - mind your own business?

Wow - Just WOW! at the never ending busy bodies that reside here... old ladies...

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1