Vigo Vs Triton

moonoi

Just now also facing the exactly same dilemma: Triton or Vigo?

My conclusion is that it will be Vigo for me.

Triton is on my opinion ###### gorgeous looking car, and it is a shame that other facts speak for the boring Vigo. But Vigo it is because I want, 4 doors, manual gears and the biggest engine available but 2 wheel drive. And Mitsu cannot offer me that choice; they have the 4x2 only with the moped-engine: 2,5 liter.

Hey mate, look at it different because what you are saying is not right.

The 2.5 engine is far from a moped engine. Most likely you have absolutely no need for the extra 700 cc. If you have read my posts about tuning the 2.5 you would see. You just beef it up and it will outrun the 3.2 easily and I really mean easily!

You also want the 2WD which is much lighter which is another reason for why there is no need for the 3.2.

Lets say you are spending the whole difference in price between the 2.5 and the 3.2 on engine mods and you will get even much more hp compared to what I said in my post. If you are using 100-150 k on engine mods and you will see way over 200 hp!

My advice to you, buy the top spec 2.5 2WD and do some mods. I guarantee you will not regret.

Here is an example. When modifying Toyota Supra or a Nissan Skyline its pretty much the same. One is a 2.6 the other a 3.0. Sometimes they go for the 2.8 stroker kit on the Skyline but really dont understand why. It doesnt make it better or faster. Its more about the 2.8 stroker kit just being a mod itself.

Sometimes they just swop the 3.0ltr 6 cylinder in the Supra which is one of THE strongest performance engines today for a 2.0 ltr 4 cylinder Nissan SR20DET engine to beef that one up.

In your case diesel engines also have higher torque compared to gasoline engines so worrying about being in lack of 700 cc is nothing to even think about.

If you just want the 3.2 for that reason, nothing would help though. :o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2.5 engine is far from a moped engine. Most likely you have absolutely no need for the extra 700 cc. If you have read my posts about tuning the 2.5 you would see. You just beef it up and it will outrun the 3.2 easily and I really mean easily!

You also want the 2WD which is much lighter which is another reason for why there is no need for the 3.2.

Lets say you are spending the whole difference in price between the 2.5 and the 3.2 on engine mods and you will get even much more hp compared to what I said in my post. If you are using 100-150 k on engine mods and you will see way over 200 hp!

My advice to you, buy the top spec 2.5 2WD and do some mods. I guarantee you will not regret.

Thanks for your opinion!

Having dealt with racing cars, and all kind of cars, back in Europe; my idea was that surely 3,2 is much tougher built engine and takes much more modifications without problems than the smaller 2,5. Am I wrong in this?

(I don't have any specs or reliable info on these particular engines and this is just my logical conclusion. I would appreciate if you have some links on this matter to provide me.)

Could you give a link also to your posting about modifications and maybe contact infos on some PROFESSIONAL chipping garage who has the technology and the skill to do the work right?

My intention is very soon to buy either of these 2 cars, and get it chipped and done some other mods also. Beeing used to do it in Europe to my cars I just cannot drive a standard-engine car. It just is not me :o

Where in Thailand are you Hans?

Dont worry about these engines or any other pickup diesel engine here. Have you ever seen over loaded pickups just flooring it on the highways here with the turbo just whining hour after hour... I guess so. Thats the case.

These engines are used so hard and the built is based on experience which means they just get better and better year by year.

In Bangkok there is a hundred shops that does engine modifications. Most of the shop would not be online.

Try to pickup 20 thai car magazines on tuning and also on pickups and look through them with a thai friend. Let him do the calling.

Sound like you are going to do some mods and spend some money so I ll give another option.

There is hardly a country in the world where they to more engine swops than in Thailand. A good option could be to just forget about the whole diesel project and just go for a inline 6 cylinder with a lot of power.

Here you got several options and a good one which also is cheap would be to go for the Toyota

1-JZ twin turbo. This is a 2.5 straight 6 cylinder which comes from several Toyota models from Japan

There is tons of these engines available in Bangkok and you could buy it and drop it in for anything from 50-70 k including all the work.

Originally it has 280 hp but you can easily squeeze 340 hp out of this one on the standard turbos.

It is the standard turbos which are ceramic turbos that will be the problem getting more power than this.

With the change of turbos and other mods this bullet proof monster 2.5 straight 6 will be hold up for around 700 hp without the change of internals.

Going for the bigger 2-JZ twin turbo which is a 3.0 ltr 280 hp. Pretty much the same engine but with even stronger internals than the 1-JZ twinturbo. This engine will hold a good 800hp or even more on stock internals. A lot of mods need to be done to get these hp but at least you will not have to do the internals like cranck and all that. This one will cost you around 120 k with manuel and 90-110 k as with auto.

So if you dont care about your fuel consumption to rise some the 1-JZ twin would be it I think. Cheap and a lot of power.

It is actually possible to drive the 1-JZ twin without using to much fuel.

On a slightly more mundane note, ive been looking at these two cars a lot over the last few weeks. Have been driving the Vigo constantly for the last week, and the interior of the Triton is just way nicer than that of the boring vigo.

On a slightly more mundane note, ive been looking at these two cars a lot over the last few weeks. Have been driving the Vigo constantly for the last week, and the interior of the Triton is just way nicer than that of the boring vigo.

^^^ yeah but the quality is poo poo! :o

Mundane note.. Yes I guess most people will agree with you. I ll still post some more in that direction and also explain why though.

Have a look at this..

Before you came to Thailand did you ever own a pickup..? probably not..

Did you ever dream about owning a pickup..? probably not..

Did you ever drive a pickup..? also probably not..

So what happens when you move to Thailand and decide to buy a car..?

What happens is that suddenly the only car you need is a pickup. You are actually not considering buying anything else than a pickup except from your Honda Wave or something like that.

Anyone feel familier with this.. :o

So most likely as you end up buying a pickup what do you get?

What you get is a good practical car but not really a car that you can consider as fun when it comes to speed . Back in Europe or other countries many of us had quite fast cars before and enjoyed driving them. Sedans, coupes or 5 doors for that sake and which some of us even made faster with different engine mods.

Many are missing the fun of having all the horsepower like with the cars they owned before and might therfore look for options.

In my opininon putting your pickup in with a tuning shop for about 1 week, handing over about 70 k and getting it back with a 300 breaking hp engine equiped with twin turbos from a standard Toyota engine would not be a very bad idea.

The pickups are not exactly performance cars out from the factories but its possible turning them into that for those who want. To give it a good touch of performance doensnt have to be expensive at all.

I would consider a pickup with 300 hp, some harder and lower springs together with some nice 18”- 20” wheel to be quite a fun ride. This would be more than enough for most people. Wheels and tires are also cheap in Thailand so putting on some nice ones will not ruin you in any way.

Here is a picture of a new Triton on red plates with a 2-JZ VVTI engine. The VVTI engine is a later model and is a 3.0 ltr. single turbo from Toyota. A very good engine but with not so many options for high performance tuning compared to the 2 JZ twin. It would be as bullet proof as the twin but there is not the same availability on tuning parts like cams etc as the cylinder head is different if that’s what you are looking for. Parts are still available though.

This Triton boosts out more than 500 hp. Quite a funny car to drive I belive.

This one has an extremly big intercooler that would not be necessary. A big one like this would be good for 600 hp and up.

Have a look at it here.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Th...on/CIMG9041.jpg

There is more going on under the hood of cars in Bangkok than most people would know.

Engine swops and rebuilt to high power engines on older cars but also on new Toyota Fortuners, Mercedes Benz etc

Here is a nice one. One Thai guy in Bangkok recently went off and bought a brand new Mercedes Benz E-class.

Brand new he pulled out the engine and replaced it with a 2 JZ twin.

Looking into this case and it would not be a bad idea at all. If performance is what you are looking for together with also saving a lot of money I think the idea is quite interesting.

Let say you buy an E-class as a full option model but with a smaller engine for 6-7 mill.

Fit it with a 2 JZ for 120.000

Engine mods for 300.000 (600 hp)

A huge Brembo brake kit for 300.000

A good German adjustable tuning shock and spring kit for 100.000

AMG bodystyling or similar (original or copy) 10.000- 400.000

Total 1.000.000- 1.200.000 THB

What do you got then? You just got yourself a car that probably performs better than the

Original MB E-class E-55 from AMG Germany which cost about 15 mill B in Thailand… and you saved yourself a 7-8 mill. The E-55 is equipped with a V8 kompressor from AMG and got 475 hp. Performance 0-100 4.7 sec. Top speed if limiter removed about 310 kmh.

Your MB now with the lighter 6 cylinder engine and also more power compared to the E-55, a better braking kit etc. and you are now looking at maybe 0-100 in 4.2 sec. with a top speed of +330 kmh. Quite ok.

This one is a bit off this topic and involves some more money but is just to show that you got several options when doing mods. In Thailand you also get away with it fairly cheap.

Back to the pickups, for a total of 100.000-150.000 you can turn yor car into something quite interesting.

My advise would be to use one of these engines if going for a engine swop in a pickup.

Toyota 1-JZ GTE twin, turbo 6 cyl, 2.5 ltr, 280 hp

Toyota 2-JZ, GTE twin, turbo, 6 cyl 3.0 ltr, 280 hp

Toyota 1-JZ, vvti, single turbo 6 cyl, 2.5 ltr, 280 hp

Toyota 2-JZ, vvti, single turbo 6 cyl, 3.0 ltr, 280 hp

All bullet proof engines that will not cause you any problems!

Note! All the above engines actually produce more than 280 hp. Japan at this time had restrictions to hp so every car with higher power output would only show 280 on the papers.

Considering running on the 91-95 ron compared to Japans 100 ron there will be a loss of some power here in Thailand. Probably the figures in the end will be correct giving it around 280 hp.

When buying one of these engines it always comes with the gearbox that must be replaced with your cars standard too.

You can choose them all as manual or as auto. It is also possible to get one 2 JZ version with the gearing attached on the stearing wheel as a tiptronic control. Hard to get hold of though.

If going for the auto gearbox the maximum hp should not exceed 500-550 engine hp. Over this and the auto will need some modifications which can be expensive.

The standard manual gearbox with the2-JZ is a 6-speed from Getrag which would handle 1000 hp. An extremly strong and well built gearbox from well known Getrag gearbox manufacturer.

There are also some other options like the older 6 cyl 7M-GTE. Will hold 450hp on stock internals. Standard output is 230 hp.

If not going for any of these mods I hope someone at least enjoyed the short introduction to the thai engine tuning scene.

If not going for any of these mods I hope someone at least enjoyed the short introduction to the thai engine tuning scene.

You made me drawling!

This actually is a very propable option for me; to buy Triton 2,5 and swap the engine. Or modify the original engine if it can give me 200+++ hp.

Yes; transmission and many other parts need to be done also and this is a compless task all in all.

I am not an expert and I would LOVE to find a shop which I can trust. Do you know any good modifier? I am in Pattaya -area but no problem to bring my car e.g. to Bangkok for this.

Thanks for the info BTW!

Pickups to high performance cars; how did we change subjects?

Getting back to the original theme: Vigo v Triton. To be honest it depends what kind of model you want. Toyota has to be top for build quality, reliability, resaleability. For the high end models, you should go for a Vigo, based on current models/pricing. Personally I bought a 4 door Triton, not raised/4wd with the 2.5ltr engine? Why, cause its my 2nd pickup, and I know what I want:

-Don't need 4wd; never used it on my old pickup.

-Engine is economical and has sufficient power; no need for a bigger one which will eat more gas. Triton 2.5ltr is more powerful than Vigo (102 hp v 116 hp).

-4 door/model package is good for the money: 600k for a 4 door, alloys, electic windows, mirrors, mp3 player, remote central locking. Vigo (and Isuzu) was much more expensive. Dealer installed free remote locking/alarm/immobiliser.

-Don't want a raised pickup; lower down one is better for driveability and high speed driving. I don't do that much offroad (although drive on dirt roads alot). Do scrape the metal engine protector though (but I suppose thats what its there for?).

-Cheapest 4 door?

Any complains so far: None. Very please with the Triton. Its just like a car (well apart from the pickup suspension; but you are never going to get away from that with leaf springs at the back). Long 6 hour trips home every three weeks or so are very comfortable and almost effortless. Cruises happily/comfortably at 130 km/hr.

A friend took a drive with me; he said 'nim' in Thai, meaning smooth/quiet. So I take that as a great complement over my old pickup.

Hired a 2.5ltr basic Vigo some time back; Triton has higher spec parts (like the battery). Also at the basic model level I think Triton is better, although at the high model end I think Vigo is better.

Not as tough built as my older Isuzu Rodeo, but then thats progress for you. To be honest, should last a long time, though.

Looks like it uses the same oil filter as my Isuzu, so the regular oil/filter changes should be mega cheap (what else is there to do). Was paying 80 baht for a copy oil filter on the Isuzu (black box). Could not find the fuel filter, so does it have one?

I think the Mitsu 2.5 ltr is now the new replacement for the very ancient Isuzu 2.5 ltr, although I still think Isuzu engines are noisy (listen to a Isuzu v a Vigo and you will undestand what I mean).

Would not touch an MU7...

Edited by MaiChai

I never thought about replacing diesel engine with gasoline one - all other things need to be changed as well, right? Transmission, suspension, exhaust, breaks, pumps ... What about ECU? What about the speedo and tachometer - they don't even have numbers higher than 180km/h or 5,000 rpm.

What do I get to keep? A steering wheel and my seat? What about power steering, will it handle the power?

I actually once went to Bitec motorshow looking for some mods for my Sportrider and all I could find was some shop ready to install intercooler and a new exhaust pipe, but that would have screwed up my warranty.

Perhaps I'll have another look after it expires.

Another thing that worries me is maintanance, I'm afraid it would need frequent tuning/retuning/adjusting/modifying and would often die for no apparent reason.

It freaks me out like Linux - it sucks all your time, energy, and money.

I never thought about replacing diesel engine with gasoline one - all other things need to be changed as well, right? Transmission, suspension, exhaust, breaks, pumps ... What about ECU? What about the speedo and tachometer - they don't even have numbers higher than 180km/h or 5,000 rpm.

What do I get to keep? A steering wheel and my seat? What about power steering, will it handle the power?

I actually once went to Bitec motorshow looking for some mods for my Sportrider and all I could find was some shop ready to install intercooler and a new exhaust pipe, but that would have screwed up my warranty.

Perhaps I'll have another look after it expires.

Another thing that worries me is maintanance, I'm afraid it would need frequent tuning/retuning/adjusting/modifying and would often die for no apparent reason.

It freaks me out like Linux - it sucks all your time, energy, and money.

The ones that care about the warranty, please jump this post. Tuning is for people that look beyond this.

Why writing about this in this thread is because many people want more power similar to what faster sedans got.

As most people only buys one car.. the pickup it will be! :o

When actually owning a CAR most people should at least know some basics I belive. Trying to connect a Mitsubishi gearbox with for example a Nissan gearbox and it would be the same as trying to fit a square in a trianlge.

When buying the engine for doing an engine swop the engine you will buy comes with everything needed. Engine itself, the gearbox, pumps, dynamo,power steering, CDI etc. Water tanks for flushing the windows, for the radiator etc will be used from your standard car and connected to the new engine as long as they are not in the way for the new and maybe bigger sized engine.

The tanks would often need to be replaced or moved if your aim is a very high powered engine. This which requires a bigger space for a bigger turbo, a bigger intake, a bigger intercooler and so on. Bigger everything equals bigger tubes and hoses to keep up with the demand for more air flow.

If let say going for the 280 hp 1-JZ twin turbo or the 2-JZ twin turbo engine swop and leaving them pretty much standard, these engines do NOT need any kind of re-tuning, adjusting or worrying of any kind. This will do for most people.

They are originally from Toyota like this and is around the world by all proffesional tuners praised

as bullitt proof strong as hel_l reliable engines. These inline 6 cylinders are among the best ever built engines and will deal with almost anything you put them up to.

Do a google search and you will find sites upon sites just praising them. You will have a hard time finding negative words about these engines.

Also do a search in google under "videos" on Toyota Supra and you will get the idea of what sounds and power you will get if doing this engine swop. Just sit back and enjoy.

They ar NO bullshit engines and are built as standard with race spec internals.

This is one of the main reasons for why they are so popular. Considered extremly well built and strong. From a tuning point of view this mean Toyota allreday did half the engine work before letting them out from the Toyota factory.

These engines are beasts just waiting to let the power out.

Other engines which need replacement of original pistons, rods, crank and other internals for tuning parts, and it will cost you. Engine internals are expensive shit!

I belive a 2-JZ being modified by a good company putting out 500 hp based on a daily drive will be giving you no worries or problems. Just loads of fun every day.

Standard brakes on the pickups will deal with quite a lot power as they are ment for heavy load.

Lower your car with some harder springs and it will handle a lot more power than standard.

Modifying of your speedo is also possible. If you didnt choose do that it will at least keep your eyes on the road instead of the speedo when way over 180. To reach +250 kmh in a lower, stiffer pickup with the right brakes and engine upgrades will be absolutely no problems if that is your aim.

A 500 hp pickup heading down the highway and you will reach 300 kmh if it doesnt scare the shit out of you.

###NOTE### In thailand they allow any kind of engine swop as long as you buy the engine with a bill showing the engine number preventing it from being stolen.

Take any small car you want and put in your 900 hp monster and they will happily let you through.

Quote wikipedia;

This engine is very popular with tuners for its high horsepower potential and reliability. Modified versions of the 2JZ-GTE have been seen with over 1500hp. Notable is Marko Djuric's '93 Toyota Supra, a street driven vehicle with a stock displacement 2JZ-GTE that dynoed 1520 horsepower at the rear wheels in 2004, still running on gasoline.

Quote wikipedia;

Despite not having widespread popularity outside Japan (the Chasers in other countries are mainly purchased through grey imports), the Chaser was one of the most popular cars for modification purposes in Japan, with examples modified by drifters and VIP tuners. In 2000, Toyota tuning specialists Tom's created a 320 bhp version of the 1996-97 Chaser, called the X540. Most of the modifications seemed to revolve around the 1JZ-GTE engine, although there have been several Chasers (and similar Mark IIs and Crestas) modified to run on the Supra's 2JZ-GTE engine, usually for drag racing. Because of the similar characteristics of the engines, it was a no-brainer swap, and then modified to insane power levels.

You made me drawling!

This actually is a very propable option for me; to buy Triton 2,5 and swap the engine. Or modify the original engine if it can give me 200+++ hp.

Yes; transmission and many other parts need to be done also and this is a compless task all in all.

I am not an expert and I would LOVE to find a shop which I can trust. Do you know any good modifier? I am in Pattaya -area but no problem to bring my car e.g. to Bangkok for this.

Thanks for the info BTW!

So here is the way to go.

Find out what your budget is.

Think about how much power you will be happy with.

If you are comfortable with doing an engine swop.

If happy with 180 hp then stick with the diesel. If you really want power then do the engine swop.

Like I have said before, to get 300 hp is really a bargain but you will need an engine swop.

Thinking about turning your diesel into a 300 hp engine and it will cost you a lot of money. With a heavily modified diesel engine and flooring it a lot around your town, and you`ll probably also be known as the "squid" or something in those terms as your car will leave behind some large clouds of dark smoke everytime.

There is at least a handful of very good tuning shops with good knowledge on these engines in Bk. Also managed quite good in terms of thai standards. The known Japanese tuning brand JUN is also in town. They will perform the ultimate work but will be priced thereafter.

In your case to use a tuner like JUN will just be a waste of money.

To have said that, turning a 2 JZ into a 500 hp engine is considered standard work in Bk by tuners.

There are a dozen of other shops in Bk which also can perform this kind of engine swop excelent.

When talking hp it is Rear Wheel Horse Power (RWHP) except from when the engines are standard as 280 hp which would then be SAE horsepower. SAE is hp on the axle strait out the engine and is what every car manufacturer operates with. The same as shown in every car`s manuel.

If 500 RWHP and it will be about 600 SAE hp, 700 RWHP and we are talking + 850 SAE hp. The power loss in total all the way from the crank and down to the wheels will be about 20 %.

To have said that, turning a 2 JZ into a 500 hp engine is considered standard work in Bk by tuners.

There are a dozen of other shops in Bk which also can perform this kind of engine swop excelent.

When talking hp it is Rear Wheel Horse Power (RWHP) except from when the engines are standard as 280 hp which would then be SAE horsepower. SAE is hp on the axle strait out the engine and is what every car manufacturer operates with. The same as shown in every car`s manuel.

If 500 RWHP and it will be about 600 SAE hp, 700 RWHP and we are talking + 850 SAE hp. The power loss in total all the way from the crank and down to the wheels will be about 20 %.

Thanks a lot for this info, F1! I had no idea. No idea at all.

For now, my car is a bit too dear, too new to do any mods to it, but I will keep this in mind. 280HP would be way enough for my needs, no need to tune it all the way to 500. (Fortuner here).

A 4door 2.5 pickup is a low cost option, not only to get you from a to z relatively cheaply, but you are higher up than in a car and have an enormous boot.

Definitely value for money here as cars are so expensive in comparison to pickups.

If the companies could understand that many extras should be standard then the market could take off into the family car bracket.Fancy putting a cassette player in a vehicle today. Most want a CD player with all the trimmings,but to change it over from new to new seems a waste.Why can't you lift the back seat up? Only the Vigo does that.

More options please Pickup manufacturers

Edited by Korat Correct

• 1 month later...

Had the chance to try out the 4-doors triton and Toyota Vigo.

Although polls are more for the Vigo, i should say that The Triton is ###### a great pick-up. My feeling is the top high end version was like being in a real SUV. However, in the Toyota Vigo, i still felt being in a truck.

My voting would be

1. Triton

2. Vigo

3. Navarra (don't know when it'll reach Thai shores! Siam Nissan is doing hel_l of bad job here i feel).

4. D-Max (for truck lover)

Although polls are more for the Vigo, i should say that The Triton is ###### a great pick-up. My feeling is the top high end version was like being in a real SUV. However, in the Toyota Vigo, i still felt being in a truck.

My voting would be

1. Triton

2. Vigo

3. Navarra (don't know when it'll reach Thai shores! Siam Nissan is doing hel_l of bad job here i feel).

I stopped by the Nissan dealer yesterday to get some information on the Navarra. (I like Nissans) I was disappointed that the salesman knew NOTHING about that model. If I were to buy a new 4X4 today it would be a Chevy.

My voting would be

1. Triton

2. Vigo

I stopped by the Nissan dealer yesterday to get some information on the Navarra. (I like Nissans) I was disappointed that the salesman knew NOTHING about that model. If I were to buy a new 4X4 today it would be a Chevy.

You mean an Isuzu D-max :o

But seriously interested to know why you would choose Chevy over Isuzu as the are both the same vehicle made on the same production line...the Isuzu holds a better price over the Chevy come time to sell (due to most Thai not realising that in fact the Colorado is a D-max so assume the parts are more expensive!)

I like the Z71 suspension and the cosmetic differences make the Chevy look better to me.

My voting would be

1. Triton

2. Vigo

You mean an Isuzu D-max :o

But seriously interested to know why you would choose Chevy over Isuzu as the are both the same vehicle made on the same production line...the Isuzu holds a better price over the Chevy come time to sell (due to most Thai not realising that in fact the Colorado is a D-max so assume the parts are more expensive!)

I like the Z71 suspension and the cosmetic differences make the Chevy look better to me.

So whats the difference on the Z71 suspension from the Dmax? I remember another poster mentioning that they have a Z71 which there really happy with but all the suspension components have Isuzu all over them.......

I don't have a Dmax myself in the end I bought a MU7.......I would be interested to know if the Diff lock option on the Chevy could be fitted to the MU7?

i have had a vigo 4 door 4wd auto for 18 months and 40,000km now , its a superb machine.

nothing has dropped off , failed to operate , rattled or otherwise malfunctioned.

it has been driven daily , sometimes in bangkok traffic , sometimes on long trips around the country , occasionally across muddy fields and up and down steep tracks. it has got more than enough power.

for a pick up , its comfortable , its roomy , the folding rear seat is so useful you will wonder how you ever managed without it and the ride is pretty good on long journeys.

you soon get used to the size , and reversing into parking spaces soon becomes a doddle.

the exterior and interior design are a matter of personal preference , for me the mitsubishi is overstyled at the front and weak looking at the back , the toyota looks more solid although the front end reminds me of a hippopotamus.

the mechanical differences between the toyota and mitsubishi are probably not that great , but the differences in the dealer network and customer service probably are.

you should consider the after sales service.

toyotas after sales service is nothing short of first class and there are far more toyota service centres than mitsubishi. if you spend time away from your base then it is something to be considered . i cant comment on mitsubishis customer service .

toyotas world wide reputation for durable pick ups and excellent customer service were the factors that helped me decide which truck to buy , (plus a great discount from a contact in toyota)

The Z71 suspension is more rugged and recommended for off-road. The biggest difference is that it uses torsion bars rather than coil springs. The package includes bigger 16 inch wheels and more ground clearance. I don't know what Isuzu calls that package.

So whats the difference on the Z71 suspension from the Dmax? I remember another poster mentioning that they have a Z71 which there really happy with but all the suspension components have Isuzu all over them.......

I don't have a Dmax myself in the end I bought a MU7.......I would be interested to know if the Diff lock option on the Chevy could be fitted to the MU7?

In most cases I have seen the salesperson knows little or nothing about the cars they sale. Even if you have a translator with you.

All they have to do is look pretty and smile, that's their job. Maybe sweet-talk as well. Technical expertise is not a requirement to be a car salesperson. Same all over the world, actually - the sales people that do respond to technical questions are simply good at BS and making up stuff. Rarely is there any actual knowledge behind it, and even if there were it would be adapted to the situation (e.g. wanting to sell a car....)

Well I looked at every pickup in the market and settled on the Mitsubishi Triton as I liked the quirky look and it the test drive convinced me. I disounted Toyota as I had one and the aftersales service in pattaya was nothing short of abysmal and I would not buy a spare lamp from them. They took three months to fix a fault on warranty, failed t calll me on numerous occasions and when I did finally get it in they left me stranded out on sukhumvit with no means of getting home.

I felt all the other models , chevvy, issuzi, etc were just copies of each other with no style or character. I also wanted to look at the new narvana as I have always liked Nissan but again they didnt even know what the narvanna was! similarly Issuzi and Ford said they had new models due soon but had no details. A car (or truck) is like a house its a personal choice what one person finds attractive another will find repulsive so basically its horses for courses and as I intend to keep this oen for around five years the resale value does not worry me. I had a mitsubishi in the uk and it was one of the best cars I ever had. So watch this space and if I have any problems you can be sure I will post them here!! :o

Well I looked at every pickup in the market and settled on the Mitsubishi Triton as I liked the quirky look and it the test drive convinced me. I disounted Toyota as I had one and the aftersales service in pattaya was nothing short of abysmal and I would not buy a spare lamp from them. They took three months to fix a fault on warranty, failed t calll me on numerous occasions and when I did finally get it in they left me stranded out on sukhumvit with no means of getting home.

I felt all the other models , chevvy, issuzi, etc were just copies of each other with no style or character. I also wanted to look at the new narvana as I have always liked Nissan but again they didnt even know what the narvanna was! similarly Issuzi and Ford said they had new models due soon but had no details. A car (or truck) is like a house its a personal choice what one person finds attractive another will find repulsive so basically its horses for courses and as I intend to keep this oen for around five years the resale value does not worry me. I had a mitsubishi in the uk and it was one of the best cars I ever had. So watch this space and if I have any problems you can be sure I will post them here!! :o

Well you must have really crappy dealers in Pattaya then coz the new Ford Ranger has been out for about 6 months now and the new Isuzu Dmax and MU7 was launched in the beginning of September!

Re. Ford - they've been selliing it for seven months now, since March. Here, in Bangkok, I've seen one Ford already. Maybe they haven't seen them in Pattaya yet.

They promised a new D-Max back in September. Instead they only got new cartoonish headlights - if you watch Japanese cartoons, you'll know. There's also unspecified power increase, and the word "new" all over their ads.

Now I'm waiting for Vigo update - it's been two years already. The problem might be that this IMV project is so big that introducing any changes is a VERY big deal and involves hundreds of little companies on all five continents. Mitsubishi has an advantage here.

We will be waiting a long time for that post ! You will not have any problems with the Triton.

Bought myself the Triton last year for Christmas and loving every minute, My previous pickup, also a Mitsu, never caused any problems either.

Mike

Re. Ford - they've been selliing it for seven months now, since March. Here, in Bangkok, I've seen one Ford already. Maybe they haven't seen them in Pattaya yet.

They promised a new D-Max back in September. Instead they only got new cartoonish headlights - if you watch Japanese cartoons, you'll know. There's also unspecified power increase, and the word "new" all over their ads.

Now I'm waiting for Vigo update - it's been two years already. The problem might be that this IMV project is so big that introducing any changes is a VERY big deal and involves hundreds of little companies on all five continents. Mitsubishi has an advantage here.

Yes I wouldn't call it new either, just a minor change over the previous model. have to say though the interior is a big improvement over the previous model though. For the power output its an increase of 15bhp and approx 50nm torque. Haven't got the exact figures coz there in my brochure back at home....at least assuming that the new DMax has the same engine as the new MU7 (can't think why it wouldn't). Intrestingly enough for the new MU7 if you buy the 4wd manual version you get more torque over a wider rev-range than if you buy the auto.....seems odd as both have the new 4JJ1-TCX engine.......

I got the outgoing model in the end....prefer the looks externally and can upgrade the interior to the same as the new one as and when I feel like it :o Got 100k discount and 100k of accesories with free insurance and government tax payed by the dealer......pretty good deal I think :D