Medicine without name

fry30

Hi everyone,

My gf is 7 weeks pregnant and she has a sore throat that she got from her son who was sick last week.

She went to the pharmacy and they gave her an antibiotic (amoxicillin) and 2 pockets of pills with no names on it.

She says that pharmacists and doctors aren't giving names of the medicines they prescribe.

I put the amoxicillin in garbage as I believe it could kill the good bacterias as well and let her vulnerable to other sickness, furthermore it's probably viral so it would do no good.

Now I don't know if I can let her eat the two pockets of unnamed pills.

I would like to know the opinion of others on the subject.

I have little trust in doctors especially here in Thailand, I know one girl who became nurse in 6 months, and my gf told me that in the hospital where she got her son the maid became nurse in a week.

So, who gave your g/f the medicine OP?

The doctor or the pharmacist?

Did she see a doctor?

As about becoming a nurse in 6 months or a week, it's total BS.

May be you are confused with a nurse aid.......and that I will take it with a pinch of salt.

It takes 4 years of intense studies in University to become a qualified nurse.

Please do not listen to unfounded stories of the village.

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

If I understand correctly she did not see a doctor, just went to a pharmacy (and a not very good one from the sounds of it).

Have her see a doctor.

In early pregnancy, one needs to be especially cautious regarding medications, as some are harmful to the fetus. And your average village "pharmacy" will not know which ones.

Thanks for your answers, like I said both doctors and pharmacists are giving pills without name, I have seen this many time with other people at my work too.

Her doctor gave vitamin (for pregnancy) so I'm not too worried about this one but for this pharmacist I discarded all medicines, I'm going to the pharmacy to ask a syrup but she says that they give this only to children so if I don't know exactly which syrup I want they won't give me anything.

I tried to give her honey, make tea with lemon and honey but it doesn't relieve her cough, she took strepsil with no effect as well.

She has no fever just coughing strongly and all the time, her throat is probably irritated and every time she cough she irritates it more and need to cough again.

I will bring her to see a doctor for her throat but I have a long history of disappointment with doctors where they are only good to take money. There are certainly very good ones hiding somewhere but how many crooks is it necessary to face before to find them? also some of them are doing more harm than good.

As for the 4 years of hard study to become nurse I strongly doubt they really study "hard", at my work I've seen colleague getting master degree by studying only on Sunday and not being able to make an addition without a calculator. I heard that some degrees are just bought. Most of people I met with a master degree didn't show very impressive knowledge.

I know there is very good doctors and very competent people in Thailand but with the wide spread corruption here the incompetent ones have access to high level jobs and that's why I careful.

The "unnamed" pills should follow the Amoxicillin.

Illegal to dispense medication without proper labelling.

Find another, properly qualified, doctor.

unfortunately very common......have a sore throat-->pharmacy--> 3-4 different colored pills with no more information as take 2 per day.

1 is always a strong antibiotics.

Seen that many times with my staff. --> Told them that it is nonsense but they don't believe it. Well it is their body. I tell them to not do that, but can't force them to common sense.