Quality gear in Thailand

revgreen

Need to get some new gear and can't find any shops in my area (Phetchabun) that sell anything beside low-end textile jackets, crappy gloves, and Asian helmets (Bilmola seems to be the best brand I can find around me, but still not DOT cert).

Where can I find decent leather gear and DOT helmets? I hear REAL helmets are DOT certified but I'm not keen on making a trip to BKK. Or does anyone have experience with the Bilmola brand? What about the nylon jackets? The one I looked at runs about 3400 THB and seems to be okay quality, but I'd still prefer leather.

check new alpinestar shop Bangkok,

Is that in "A Square" near Rama 4?

I rode by the other day and thought I saw a big Alpinestar logo on a shop near where the Vespa dealership is or was.

Yes, it is right next to the Vespa dealer, across from Flowhouse.

revgreen, if its your first leather jacket in Thailand think about it twice. There is a reason why most riders in Thailand wear mesh jackets. Even perforated leather is too hot for most of us most of the time.

Imo Real and Bilmola helmets are OK. They are both ECE rated. I own 3 Real helmets and imo they are very good value for money. Just buy one, you can use it as spare helmet or for your scooter if you later buy a more expensive western brand.

Real also offers jackets under "Bacuda" brand, eg. for 3,700 Baht the Falcon mesh jacket. If it fits you well, why not, assuming you are not going warp speed on your bike. For sure better than no jacket smile.png

JK04006911400-01.png

• Like 1

Went ahead and bought a Bilmola helmet today to keep my head safe until I can make it to BKK, then when I buy a new one it'll be my passenger helmet.

Also bought a Scoyco nylon jacket (again, to hold me over till I can get to BKK), seemed to fit in the store but after wearing it a bit more I realize it's a bit too big. Hoping they'll let me exchange it. I'll check out those Bacuda jackets. I'm totally fine with mesh, so long as the armor and material is a good quality.

Edited by revgreen