Road Signs With Directions In Phuket

limbos

Just got back home after a week visit in Phuket with my car.What I found really amazing in Phuket, is the lack of road signs with directions. If you're new on the island, it's a nightmare for the first couple of days to get around, since there are hardly any usefull directions on the roads.

Most of the major traffic junctions have limited or no signs at all or very small, almost hidden signs.

The big junction at Tesco Lotus has directions to Kathu and Patong, but it doesn't state anywhere how to get to Kata/Karon, besides a very small sign at the left side of the road, that's hardly noticeable.

More junctions, all over Phuket, have a serious lack of signs. Has this always been the case or is it because of the road construction going on?

After a few days, it becomes easier to navigate, but it's not easy before one gets to that stage.

Anybody else with the same experience?

I agree the signposting here in Phuket is almost nonexistent.

But getting around Phuket is not too bad as there aren't that many different roads connecting parts of the island. When i first moved here i found that as long as i was headed in the right compass direction i would get there. The west coast is all connected by one road, there's a motorway/road running down the spine of the island, plus a few roads running widthways (not enough but the hills make it difficult - just look at the road going over Patong hill).

Phuket town however, is a nightmare for tourists and newbies because of the one way system and lots of narrow streets. Took me about a year to figure it out.

After a few days of driving around, it became pretty easy to naigate around, but it's now my second time on Phuket with my car and it was very confusing every time, especially the first couple of days.

The first time I only stayed two nights and hardly drove around, last week I drove around a lot and gradually started to find my way around.

Phuket Town took me at least a year as well. I got lost everytime!! The rest of the island is pretty easy though. I never really thought about it but you are right, there is a lack of proper signage here.

It took me 3 years to get my head around Phuket Town - mostly cos I hardly ever went there, as I got lost so often.

Even today, I was scrambling my brain driving around in there with all the one ways, no thoroughfares, etc. I could SEE where I needed to be (Metropole Hotel) but just couldn't find a road to take me there in one straight line.... :o

Phuket town can be a wee bit troublesome at first. But there are many major landmarks and not that many roads.

Kata Karon would seem nearly impossible to get mixed up. There is only one road leading in from the north and two roads from the south. Not very complicated IMHO!

The orientation of Phuket is north south with mountains in the middle. Since the sun is nearly always shinning even a novice navigator shouldn't have too many difficulties. There simply aren't that many roads to keep track of.

Now for real fun try navigation by auto in Bangkok!

At least Phuket has some signs in english pointing to Patong and other prominent landmarks.

Phuket town can be a wee bit troublesome at first. But there are many major landmarks and not that many roads.

Kata Karon would seem nearly impossible to get mixed up. There is only one road leading in from the north and two roads from the south. Not very complicated IMHO!

The orientation of Phuket is north south with mountains in the middle. Since the sun is nearly always shinning even a novice navigator shouldn't have too many difficulties. There simply aren't that many roads to keep track of.

Now for real fun try navigation by auto in Bangkok!

At least Phuket has some signs in english pointing to Patong and other prominent landmarks.

I once spent a day in a car with an American and his Thai wife, his wife would tell him from the back seat (you can turn right now) or (left) he mostly went straight on (ok you can go straight) from the back seat!!--- It's a good job that we live on an island-- we got there always in the end!! :o