Relocation with Thai family to Dubai

Guy's

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experience with the above, did a forum search but they are dated.

I have been offered a good deal for the the family to relocate to Dubai with work. The package is not an issue. My concern is how my wife will adapt, I'm sure the kids will be fine once they settle in school.

Has anyone faced this before and can give any feedback pls?

Is there a Thai community there, any people here currently living there? How do you find it?

I am just trying to make this transition as smooth as possible, I plan to bring the family over early new year when I have found accommodation, school ect....

Feel nervous and excited at the same time, It is a good chance for us.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance

Ace

We lived in Abu Dhabi. I worked on the island but our house was on the mainland near Yas Island.

Quite a lot of Thais. Active Thai women's group who organized some socials with the Royal Thai Embassy. Most husbands were American, Brits, and a few Europeans. There was a Thai lady in Sharjah who ran a food business and would deliver Thai food, vegetables, ingredients etc at reasonable prices. We visited Dubai but my wife preferred Abu Dhabi which I think is quieter and more family orientated. Dubai more Western in outlook. My wife liked the shopping malls and Thai restaurants. Very high numbers of Filipinos working there. Good facilities and safe public transport. Usually very safe for families.

My wife and kids loved it there and would go back without any time.

Wish you the best.

• Like 1

We lived in Abu Dhabi. I worked on the island but our house was on the mainland near Yas Island.

Quite a lot of Thais. Active Thai women's group who organized some socials with the Royal Thai Embassy. Most husbands were American, Brits, and a few Europeans. There was a Thai lady in Sharjah who ran a food business and would deliver Thai food, vegetables, ingredients etc at reasonable prices. We visited Dubai but my wife preferred Abu Dhabi which I think is quieter and more family orientated. Dubai more Western in outlook. My wife liked the shopping malls and Thai restaurants. Very high numbers of Filipinos working there. Good facilities and safe public transport. Usually very safe for families.

Wish you the best.

"There was a Thai lady in Sharjah who ran a food business and would deliver Thai food, "

I lived in Al Ain (Abu Dhabi emirate) for about 10 years. Even there, there was a Thai presence including a Thai lady who prepared Thai food for home deliveries.

I agree with Baerboxer that life in Abu Dhabi would be less hectic than in Dubai.

Depending on the conditions of the O/P's employment package and his willingness to spend a lot time in commuter traffic, he might even explore finding a place to stay in Sharjah. Accommodation is cheaper there and things are a bit less hectic. But if he is working for the government of Dubai he might be required to rent in Dubai and the drive to & fro during rush hours can be pretty bad.

Life is (or at least was some years ago) a bit more tranquil in the Jumeirah section of Dubai, but it was also rather pricey.

My employer had housing officers and other people who arranged housing and helped to sort out things like furniture, schools, car loans, freight clearance & delivery,etc ... most of it at the employer's expense or subsidized cost, so before doing too much on your own, see what human resources options are available to you.

Wish you the best.

"There was a Thai lady in Sharjah who ran a food business and would deliver Thai food, "

I lived in Al Ain (Abu Dhabi emirate) for about 10 years. Even there, there was a Thai presence including a Thai lady who prepared Thai food for home deliveries.

I agree with Baerboxer that life in Abu Dhabi would be less hectic than in Dubai.

Depending on the conditions of the O/P's employment package and his willingness to spend a lot time in commuter traffic, he might even explore finding a place to stay in Sharjah. Accommodation is cheaper there and things are a bit less hectic. But if he is working for the government of Dubai he might be required to rent in Dubai and the drive to & fro during rush hours can be pretty bad.

Life is (or at least was some years ago) a bit more tranquil in the Jumeirah section of Dubai, but it was also rather pricey.

My employer had housing officers and other people who arranged housing and helped to sort out things like furniture, schools, car loans, freight clearance & delivery,etc ... most of it at the employer's expense or subsidized cost, so before doing too much on your own, see what human resources options are available to you.

Thanks Suradit

I will be working in the free zone for an O&G company. I will be assisted in schooling and housing by the companies agents, pretty similar I guess to what you mention above. I will get the lay of the land, proximity to the office ect....when I do a pre visit.

As mentioned above working away alot is no issue for me, but now we all as a family have the chance to relocate and begin a new adventure my concern is my family being ok as this will be the first time they have been away from Thailand for more than a few weeks.

Any recommendations for decent housing communities?

Thanks again, any input I will take onboard.

If it is anything like Riyadh, there will be a group at the Thai Embassy that holds functions and may even have a school. I am sure you will have no problems. It seems everywhere I go there is a Thai support group.

I worked in both places and Dubai and the Emirates in general are great. Riyadh, on the other hand......if the world had an enema they'd stick the tube in Riyadh.

• Like 1

We came the other way, moved from Dubai to Thailand.

Still have a business there but couldn't stand living there any longer, unless you are driven 24/7 by money its a hell hole, make your cash and get out.

If you think the Thai's are greedy wait until you meet the global mix that have arrived in the UAE with the sole purpose of taking your cash off you as quickly and as arrogantly as possible

See you back here in a couple of years ;)

• Like 1

Wish you the best.

Thanks Suradit

I will be working in the free zone for an O&G company. I will be assisted in schooling and housing by the companies agents, pretty similar I guess to what you mention above. I will get the lay of the land, proximity to the office ect....when I do a pre visit.

As mentioned above working away alot is no issue for me, but now we all as a family have the chance to relocate and begin a new adventure my concern is my family being ok as this will be the first time they have been away from Thailand for more than a few weeks.

Any recommendations for decent housing communities?

Thanks again, any input I will take onboard.

Which Free Zone exactly? There are tons of them.

Where you end up living will, in large part, be driven by the schooling for the kids. Once you know that, then you can start to try to sort everything else.

I live in Dubai Silicon Oasis myself, mostly due to the proximity to the Bypass Road that runs from Sharjah all the way past the new airport. SInce i used to frequently work at both airports, it made sense.

Feel free to PM me and i can offer some suggestions.

We came the other way, moved from Dubai to Thailand.

Still have a business there but couldn't stand living there any longer, unless you are driven 24/7 by money its a hell hole, make your cash and get out.

If you think the Thai's are greedy wait until you meet the global mix that have arrived in the UAE with the sole purpose of taking your cash off you as quickly and as arrogantly as possible

See you back here in a couple of years wink.png

Nothing could be worse than Damman where I currently work. Not driven by money, just want a change and a good life for the family.

Be back in maybe 3 years wink.png

I spent 6 years in Dubai and Sharjah from 2001 to 2007. However, as things tend to move very quickly there from a building and infrastructure point of view, my observations will not necessarily be the case now. Hopefully, some things could be helpful to you.

When I was there I had no Thai connections, so I have no idea about Thai communities to give you advice about. Other TV members have given you some pointers. What I can say, is that Dubai is a very cosmopolitan city with all nationalities living and working there. There are many Filipinos working there for example, usually as maids.

The fact that you have been offered work there is good and there will be no tax to pay on your earnings. It is normal for your employer, who will be your sponsor, to provide free accommodation as part of your package, or at the very least at a subsidised rate. Accommodation in Dubai is very, very expensive.

You will have no language problems there, as most people can speak English, much better than some natives from the UK I might add. I found the majority of people to be friendly too. The supermarkets have signs in English, so you don't have to worry about not being able to read Arabic.

The weather is hot all year round and can reach 45 degrees + in August, so you can wear whatever you are used to wearing in Thailand.

If you enjoy shopping, Dubai is a mecca of plush shopping malls with the usual higher prices. There are many gold shops and gold souks for a dazzling array of jewellery. The best bargains can be obtained in the souks for everyday items and spices from all around the world. Dubai is quite literally a shopper's paradise.

You won't find food as cheap as in Thailand, however, there is a good choice everywhere.

Taxis are very expensive in Dubai, especially in comparison with Thailand, but there are lots of them and they are metered.

From my experience, the worst thing about Dubai was the traffic. It might have improved since I was last there, but everyone drives like maniacs at high speed, even in the centre of Dubai. The Dubai to Sharjah road was an absolute nightmare to drive on and, as in Thailand, they will pass on either side of you to get to the front of the queue. They tend to be impatient drivers and use their horns excessively.

If you like to drink alcohol, there are a few designated places, usually in hotels or with a meal in some restaurants. Whatever your food preferences are, they will be catered for in Dubai.

Dubai is a modern city with big projects and some of the best hotels in the world to stay in if family and friends come to visit. You will certainly never ever be bored there that's for sure.

Overall I enjoyed the experience, it's like nowhere else I've been to on the planet and it is definitely an opportunity you shouldn't turn down.

I wish you all the best and hope you make a success of your work and make lots of money in Dubai. I'm sure you and your family won't regret it.

This has turned into a bit of a travelogue but I hope it helps you. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I spent 6 years in Dubai and Sharjah from 2001 to 2007. However, as things tend to move very quickly there from a building and infrastructure point of view, my observations will not necessarily be the case now. Hopefully, some things could be helpful to you.

When I was there I had no Thai connections, so I have no idea about Thai communities to give you advice about. Other TV members have given you some pointers. What I can say, is that Dubai is a very cosmopolitan city with all nationalities living and working there. There are many Filipinos working there for example, usually as maids.

The fact that you have been offered work there is good and there will be no tax to pay on your earnings. It is normal for your employer, who will be your sponsor, to provide free accommodation as part of your package, or at the very least at a subsidised rate. Accommodation in Dubai is very, very expensive.

You will have no language problems there, as most people can speak English, much better than some natives from the UK I might add. I found the majority of people to be friendly too. The supermarkets have signs in English, so you don't have to worry about not being able to read Arabic.

The weather is hot all year round and can reach 45 degrees + in August, so you can wear whatever you are used to wearing in Thailand.

If you enjoy shopping, Dubai is a mecca of plush shopping malls with the usual higher prices. There are many gold shops and gold souks for a dazzling array of jewellery. The best bargains can be obtained in the souks for everyday items and spices from all around the world. Dubai is quite literally a shopper's paradise.

You won't find food as cheap as in Thailand, however, there is a good choice everywhere.

Taxis are very expensive in Dubai, especially in comparison with Thailand, but there are lots of them and they are metered.

From my experience, the worst thing about Dubai was the traffic. It might have improved since I was last there, but everyone drives like maniacs at high speed, even in the centre of Dubai. The Dubai to Sharjah road was an absolute nightmare to drive on and, as in Thailand, they will pass on either side of you to get to the front of the queue. They tend to be impatient drivers and use their horns excessively.

If you like to drink alcohol, there are a few designated places, usually in hotels or with a meal in some restaurants. Whatever your food preferences are, they will be catered for in Dubai.

Dubai is a modern city with big projects and some of the best hotels in the world to stay in if family and friends come to visit. You will certainly never ever be bored there that's for sure.

Overall I enjoyed the experience, it's like nowhere else I've been to on the planet and it is definitely an opportunity you shouldn't turn down.

I wish you all the best and hope you make a success of your work and make lots of money in Dubai. I'm sure you and your family won't regret it.

This has turned into a bit of a travelogue but I hope it helps you. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the positive feedback, it has put my mind at ease and is something I am looking forward to. If I do not try it I may live to regret it, my current employers have been good enough to leave the door open for me, so thats a fall back plan.

If anyone is interested I will update the thread when I have found my feet in Dubai.

Hopefully other posters may comment on the Thai life there.

Not looking forward to driving though, I thought the driving was bad enough in Saudi ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback, it has put my mind at ease and is something I am looking forward to. If I do not try it I may live to regret it, my current employers have been good enough to leave the door open for me, so thats a fall back plan.

If anyone is interested I will update the thread when I have found my feet in Dubai.

Hopefully other posters may comment on the Thai life there.

Not looking forward to driving though, I thought the driving was bad enough in Saudi wink.png

I'm glad it helped.

I, for one, would be interested to hear how you get on. Please keep us updated. Bon Voyage.