Dogs at Kad Suan Kaew

oksortofguy

There is "pet' shop" at Kad Suan Kaew which has dogs for sale. It keeps them in terrible conditions with tiny cages and not even someething soft to live on. The water bowls are often dry. I don't know what to do about this. My Thai is not up to talking to the owners. Any thoughts from dog lovers.

I think that I know where you mean-- and, against all my protestations my daughter fell in love with a little Pomeranian male dog ["How much is that Doggy in the window?"] and she would not listen to my arguments that paying these sort of breeders only encourages them--so, we ended up with our dog. He's actually turned into a fine little fellow [if you like tiny little dogs, which I didn't before].

The breeder seemed to be quite knowledgeable, and certainly 'seemed' to care about his dogs--I haven't been near the place for over a year but I did not see any dry water bowls at that time.

I don't recommend buying from these 'puppy farm' type breeders but someone has to give these dogs a good home--since they are already born--how do you end this cycle.

Been like that for 8 years that I can recall. Despicable conditions indeed. Has to miserable for the animals especially during the hot season. Sometimes there is a single fan on and sometimes not.

About once every 2 years someone new comes along and notices and asks here what they can do about it. Some have spoken to the management at KSK, etc. but there is nothing anyone can do really. I won't even walk by there. I don't want to see it as it's heartbreaking.

I have often seen that so-called pet shop in the Kad Suan Kaew and there is another similar pet shop (perhaps the same owners) in the car-parking area of the Big C Super highway branch. Those shops have been there as far back as I can remember, for many years anyway.

The dogs appear to be kept in a deplorable conditions, just wire bottom cages, often lying in their own poo, no water or just filthy water in a dirty bowl. Some of those puppies seem listless and in poor shape. To be honest I would be wary of buying a pet from any of those types of stores as the dogs have probably been through too much trauma and there is a chance of taking a seriously ill dog home with you that the odds for it`s survival are slim indeed.

I think this disgusting practice of cruelty to dogs is a deliberate ploy by the shop owners to try and make customers feel pity for the dogs and buy them. I have also seen similar practices with puppies up for sale at some of the big local markets. The only way I can deal with this is to walk passed quickly as it is too upsetting to see.

As for what one can do about this, I doubt whether it is possible to do anything, not here in Thailand.