Protecting the petrodollar: America gears up for a long war

webfact

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what transpires from the long-winded OP is that the USA could be toying with the idea to use the intervention against ISIS to also remove Assad from power. killing two birds with one stone - but I wonder what the US has against Assad.

• Like 1

A quote from OP:

* "Are you confused by what is going on in the Middle East? Let me explain.

We support the Iraqi government in the fight against Islamic State.

We don't like IS, but IS is supported by Saudi Arabia, whom we do like.

We don't like President Assad in Syria. We support the fight against him, but not IS, which is also fighting against him.

"We don't like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government in the fight against IS.

So, some of our friends support our enemies and some of our enemies are our friends, and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies, whom we want to lose, but we don't want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.

"If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they might be replaced by people we like even less.

And all this started by us invading a country to drive out terrorists who weren't actually there until we went in to drive them out. Do you understand now?"* (by some Aubrey Bailey, reader of some Daily Mail)

When I'm told that USA is fighting in every nook and cranny of the world for Democracy - I don't believe it.

When I'm told that Russians are stirring troubles in Ukraine protecting Russian-speaking ethnos - I don't believe it.

When I'm told that Israelis are the same Terrorists as the Palestinian Arabs from Gaza - I don' believe it.

When I'm told that USA takes many Muslim states as allies to fight Jihad - I don't believe this is wise or true.

When I'm told that many Muslim states join coalition to fight IS (Jihad) because they seized control of some oil wells - I believe it!

When I'm told that USA and Muslim states are in this war protecting Petrodollars - I believe it!

When I'm told that Islam is Good - I don't believe it. Even if Obama and Osama together say it.

When I'm told that we can win against Militants of any kind because we are armed with superior weapons and Political Correctness Ideology - I dont believe it.

So it looks like there is a lot of confusion in my mind.

Am I a believer or a non-believer?

I know I'm not a True Believer! Who am I?

Could somebody clear this mess in my understanding of the 'Meaning of Life'? Where are you, Aubrey?

Do you know why propaganda is so successful?

Because everyone reacts before they take a proper gander.

No, my friend. I think propaganda is so successful because very few people go to the trouble of thinking for themselves.

On the other hand it is so successful because too many people are 'easy' believers.

Agencies controlling and spreading propaganda are professionals. They always appeal to the lowest common denominator among people.

And these are usually the lowest thoughts and emotions like:

Greed, Envy, Hate, Intolerance, Group/Crowd/Herd/Pack Mentality, Fear of anything New, Different and so on.

Propaganda is not new. And people's susceptibility to propaganda is not new.

It was used by Commies, Nazis, Liberals, All Religions - and always successfully. And always to the detriment of the people.

• Like 2

what transpires from the long-winded OP is that the USA could be toying with the idea to use the intervention against ISIS to also remove Assad from power. killing two birds with one stone - but I wonder what the US has against Assad.

Provided without comment...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-25/look-inside-secret-deal-saudi-arabia-unleashed-syrian-bombing

Who was the US President who had a sign on his desk ...

"The business of America is Business" ??

All rhetoric aside, I believe this is the root cause.

Waging war - any war, anywhere - because it is a money maker.

The election process takes big bucks. Whoever gets elected needs to repay their backers, who have the big bucks and paid for the campaign.

Until election reforms happen, the Status Quo will remain.

And it will not happen in my lifetime, or my childrens, or theirs.

Edited by seedy

It's always so funny view the post that comment that America's appetite for oil drives it to fight in the Middle East and elsewhere. For those who are not 'in the know' The USA has now become the world's largets producer of Petroleum products in the world, first natural gas and soon crude oil, all due to 'fracking' (another story in itself). If America wanted oil so much it could have just stayed in Iraq, but it did not.

Now I'm certainly cautious about entering another conflict in the ME, most Americans are, but when factions and so called Islamic states excecute your citizens on video in crude fashion, you are going to get a 'cause and effect' result. Any other country would react the same way when their citizens have been harmed....

It's not 'brain surgery' but everyone has to lable every thing a country does for a conspiracy theory.

Not the oil its self mate it is that oil is traded in $$$$ and the dollar must be protected at all coats.

That is why Saddam had to go he was wanting Euros for his oil and Gaddafi was in the process of arranging for his to be paid for in gold.

Now Russia and China are trading in their own currencies and their larger alliance is watching carefully.

The dollar must be protected and with the US being the second biggest producer and exporter of war weapons it sure helps the economy to have as many wars as possible.

• Like 1

So often, including this thread, discussions regarding alignment of middle east governments flourish without mentioning which countries are predominantly Sunni and which are predominantly Shia. Those two branches of Islam have been at each other's throats for centuries and they continue to bitterly oppose each other. Perhaps the media practices what they feel is Political Correctness by not often mentioning these diametrically opposed religious branches of the Muslim faith as motivation for a countries actions.

Take a map of the middle east and put Sunni or Shia next to the countries name and a great deal of what is going on in the Middle East will be easier to understand.

The most obvious example was the bitter and long war between Shia Iran and Sunni controlled Iraq when Sadam was in charge. Once he was out and the predominately Shia population was able to establish its own Shia government, the two countries are now buddies.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The biggest wonderment to me is why the US is still steadfastly against Iran? I know, sore feelings after the fallout of dislodging the democratically installed Iranian government so many decades ago. But Iran offers everything the US needs in defeating IS. Perhaps defeating IS is NOT in US interests, but fighting IS is. (just thinking out loud, as it were.)

1) Iran's support for terrorists

2) Iran's support for the Asaad Government

3) Iran's aim to develop nuclear weapons capability

4) Iran's aim to destroy Israel.

5) etc.

US alone cannot defeat ISIS without putting boots on the ground. ISIS is a Middle East issue and must be dealt with by the Middle Eastern countries. And that is why the US is working to form and maintain a M.E. Coalition to do so.

It's always so funny view the post that comment that America's appetite for oil drives it to fight in the Middle East and elsewhere. For those who are not 'in the know' The USA has now become the world's largets producer of Petroleum products in the world, first natural gas and soon crude oil, all due to 'fracking' (another story in itself). If America wanted oil so much it could have just stayed in Iraq, but it did not.

Now I'm certainly cautious about entering another conflict in the ME, most Americans are, but when factions and so called Islamic states excecute your citizens on video in crude fashion, you are going to get a 'cause and effect' result. Any other country would react the same way when their citizens have been harmed....

It's not 'brain surgery' but everyone has to lable every thing a country does for a conspiracy theory.

Not the oil its self mate it is that oil is traded in $$$$ and the dollar must be protected at all coats.

That is why Saddam had to go he was wanting Euros for his oil and Gaddafi was in the process of arranging for his to be paid for in gold.

Now Russia and China are trading in their own currencies and their larger alliance is watching carefully.

The dollar must be protected and with the US being the second biggest producer and exporter of war weapons it sure helps the economy to have as many wars as possible.

As NeverSure said above. This is tinfoil hat stuff. America never seems to end up with much oil out of these deals and loses money instead. xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

The money is not lost. It is redistributed the wrong (right?) way. Big difference!

I retired from O&G in the US so I know quite well what you speak of and also that you are incorrect in your conclusion.

Please refer to this website to see how much oil we imported into the US in 2013--approximately 2,800,000,000 barrels of Crude.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRIMUS1&f=A

Here is another page that breaks down where those petroleum products come from (please take note of Mid-East at the top):

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

We do not go to War because a couple of our citizens are killed. That is an amazing over-simplification. If we did as you suggest then why did we not go to War with Libya after our US personnel were killed in Benghazi? In fact, US military personnel actually left the country this past June 2014 and the US had to pay quite alot of money to the enemy just to get safe passage for all of our vehicles and equipment.

We go to War to keep oil flowing not only for ourselves but for our Allies.

Actually it is easy to explain.

Can you name one country where USA went in to 'help' that remained strong and stable?

If you accept the unpalatable truth that USA aim is weakening and destabilizing all other states including Allies.

This is their correct policy as a World Hegemon second only to Arms build up.

South Korea

Panama

Grenada, That little island with the medical school.

Kuwait is still stable after kicking Iraq out.

All examples of where the US went in to help and good things have happened since.

Feel free to add Thailand to the list. The defeat of the Communist insurgency in the north was a huge gift for the Kingdom, and wouldn't have happened without US support in the counter-insurgency effort.

• Like 1