E-card forgery: Bangkok Court jails Malaysian's for 568 years

webfact

M'sians jailed for e-card forgery
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- BANGKOK'S Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court yesterday handed a sentence of 568 years in prison to five Malaysian men for electronic-card forgery. However, they are to serve only 50 years behind bars under the maximum Thai criminal code penalty.

The five defendants - Francis Xavier Arulappan, 35; Mageswaran Balakrishnan, 23; VelanraJ Vallanrasen, 22; Gunalan Kumaresan, 25; and Kartik Sinansamy, 25 - were found guilty of 142 counts of forgery and using the cards to withdraw cash worth Bt500,000.

The complaint stated that the five men and other elusive accomplices from April 2-26, 2009, had used some 700 fake cards to buy goods and withdraw cash from banks in Krabi, Trang, Songkhla and other provinces on 142 occasions.

The court found them guilty and initially sentenced each of them to 568 years in prison but halved the punishment to 284 years on grounds of useful confessions. The court also ordered them to repay Bt500,000 to the banks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Msians-jailed-for-e-card-forgery-30244149.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-26

What is an e-card? Do they mean Credit-Cards? Also I see one of the guys is now 22 years old. If this thing happens april 2009 he must be 17 years old. Is there not any youth criminal right?

Crazy. They stole 500k Thai Baht and 568years for that. And some other well known gentlemens in this country stole billions of baht by corruption and just get a few years....

These stupid Malaysian Indians were just stupid poor peasants conned into the jobs by the actual leaders fo these groups who are Chinese Malaysians who are normally based in Penang. Most of these Malaysian Chinese gangs are into credit card fraud, atm fraud , women trafficking and also illegal gambling and also drugs. Many of these Malaysian Chinese are married to thais and have second families and homes in Thailand. Since a lot of suspicions have been observed by retailers about credit card fraud by Malaysian Chinese, they started recruiting Indians and Malays to run their illegal deeds.

These stupid Malaysian Indians could not even afford a proper lawyer or even pay bribes to lower the sentences, hence the hefty sentences. They deserve it though for spoiling the image of Indians.

• Like 1

What is an e-card? Do they mean Credit-Cards? Also I see one of the guys is now 22 years old. If this thing happens april 2009 he must be 17 years old. Is there not any youth criminal right?

Crazy. They stole 500k Thai Baht and 568years for that. And some other well known gentlemens in this country stole billions of baht by corruption and just get a few years....

Because there were no tins of biscuits?

Malaysians have been behind ATM and credit card scams for years.

Yes, unfortunately, and in many countries around the world, particularly the ones with lots of Malaysian tourists (as in Thailand) or expats/students (as in Australia or Singapore).

Eastern Europeans are also known as ATM skimmers and have been widening their trade from Europe to Asia (including Thailand) and even Australia.

The Thai justice system strikes again. 284 years for what is basically thief or grand larceny. In a country where horrible gruesome murderers literally get away with murder by being released early or even released on bail to murder again...it's a comfort to know thief rates as a higher priority. (Sarcasm).

"The court found them guilty and initially sentenced each of them to 568 years in prison but halved the punishment to 284 years on grounds of useful confessions. The court also ordered them to repay Bt500,000 to the banks."

It's hard to make this stuff up. Thank God I only have to stay in jail for 284 years, because I don't think I could have taken 568 years. Yes sir, I'll pay that money back as soon as I'm out of jail. That was really nice of you to fine me and let me pay it back when I get out...unbelievable!!!

wish they were this harsh with Thai criminals. Especially the ones that murder tourists. These guys were just the bottom guys that were told to go use the cards and get the goods for the higher-ups. Isn't that obvious. So the justice system punishes the guys harshly that can't bribe their way out. They make an example out of them because they are easy targets. And of course they are not Thai

Edited by joedot
  • Like 1

How does 100k each equate to this sentence, when I have heard of people getting out after 6-8 years after killing someone? Something is very wrong here.......

They're foreigners JB.

I actually know (or more know of really) a Farang here in Chiang Mai who shot and killed someone, he was out after 8 years. Guess he must have had dark skin, dark hair and had a short sighted judge then lol

Edited by JeremyBowskill

How does 100k each equate to this sentence, when I have heard of people getting out after 6-8 years after killing someone? Something is very wrong here.......

They're foreigners JB.

I actually know (or more know of really) a Farang here in Chiang Mai who shot and killed someone, he was out after 8 years. Guess he must have had dark skin, dark hair and had a short sighted judge then lol

Well they do say Justice is blind but here eyes were never supplied but the sense of feel as in envelopes helps.

Notice it didn't say Brown envelopes because if you are blind even on a temporary basis ...giggle.gif

• Like 1

I would love to see the PM make extradition request to Singapore for son of Red Bull. I assume he is over his flu by now. And bring him to this court with appropriate sentencing guidelines like these. That would return some happiness to Thai (and farang) people I would think.

In trying to work out the logic of this, I reckon it runs 142 offences with a jail sentence of 4 years for every offence.

142 * 4 = 568

Thai logic.
So to all future perps, the moral is to take as much as possible with one offence.
Lots of small offences (in this case averaging 3,500 Baht) do not pay.