30 day extension at jomtien

I have a friend visiting and decided he'd like to stay for three weeks more. Off to Jomtien, our number was called she said what do you want, I said 30 day extension, she said cannot will cost you 3000 baht. I said no it's 1900 baht she then said you will only get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht.

She was getting a little angry and said you pay 3000 baht, I'd had enough by then (meanwhile my friend is saying just pay the 3000 baht, he was nervous)

I said to her I will talk to your supervisor she said, him will say same.

I said Ok I'll just go home and get the rule book and then I will email PM Prayuth office to ask why 30 day extension now costs 3000 baht.

With that she handed the paper work to another lady, she asked my friend why he wanted 30 days, I replied he's a tourist this is his first visit to thailand as you can well see, she said do you have a onward ticket, I said it right there with the paperwork.

Anyway she was good and was happy to give the 30 day extension.

Has anyone had a similar issue. I could not believe she would bare face lie and want 3000 baht. Of course when I walked out she passed me not happy at all. (the loss of face)

• Like 1

Let's not start stirring the pot about the people at Jomtien Immigrations. I've always found them to be polite, efficient and exceedingly patient.

Misunderstandings are always possible, but your over-the-top reaction regarding rule books, superior officers and the PM makes it sound like you went in there with a chip on your shoulder and with the type of Khun Farang attitude that seems to bring out the worst in people.

Of course when I walked out she passed me not happy at all. (the loss of face)

It sounds as though loss of face was a bigger problem for you than her given the tirade it provoked from you. Good luck the next time you (and the rest of us) need something there.

Edited by Suradit69

Let's not start stirring the pot about the people at Jomtien Immigrations. I've always found them to be polite, efficient and exceedingly patient

I've been going there for 8 years and never had an issue

Misunderstandings are always possible,

Definitely No misunderstanding on either side. I asked her to check the correct amount maybe it had changed, she had no intention of doing anything.

but your over-the-top reaction regarding rule books, superior officers and the PM makes it sound like you went in there with a chip on your shoulder and with the type of Khun Farang attitude that seems to bring out the worst in people.

Over the top actions? it appears you're more concerned about yourself playing Khun nice guy. So I take it you'd be happy to pay the 3000baht more concerned about keeping up appearances.

Of course when I walked out she passed me not happy at all. (the loss of face)

It sounds as though loss of face was a bigger problem for you than her given the tirade it provoked from you. Good luck the next time you (and the rest of us) need something there.

No tirade from me at all perfectly pleasant the officers either side of her heard nothing...so it wasn't as you have perceived

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text
  • Like 1

Misunderstandings are always possible,

Definitely No misunderstanding on either side. I asked her to check the correct amount maybe it had changed, she had no intention of doing anything.

Seems like some "officers" are not happy with the recent changes, now "farangs" can be tolerated in country for a month instead of a week for a measly Bt 1,900, but they personally only get more work and no profit. Interesting how quickly she moved to other "tasks" when faced with being denounced.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Guys in the condo lobby speaking about the same problem tis morning in Jomtien:

- for 1'900 baht you get a 7-days extension

- you want a 30-days extension, please 3'000 baht...

He paid 3'000 baht, and of course the receipt say 1'900 !

I personally find that they make a good job at Jomtien

but they seem to have now at least one "bad officer" in the place.

I have had a similar experience, which I posted on another board. I was asked to post my experience here as well, so below is a copy/paste of my other post:

Just came back.

Presented needed copies as described by MrDK, together with a ticket for the 5th of November. The lady at the desk asked why and how long time I wanted to stay. I told her I would like to stay for some extra days of holiday, and I expected to leave on the 5th, and once again showed her my ticket.

Without any further questions, or looking through the papers, she asked me if I could pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I most likely looked a bit surprised, so she went on to say that she think it would be better for me to pay 3000 baht for 30 days. I tell her that the form I just handed her, says the fee is 1900 baht. She then tells me that 1900 baht only gets me 7 days, if I want 30 days I have to pay her 3000 baht. I say sure I can pay 3000, but I need a receipt. She tells me I can get receipt, but receipt will only say 1900. At this point I really have to restrain myself from breaking into tears of laughter.

Anyway, she keeps insisting that it's better for me to pay 3000, so I do.

A bit shocked of how openly it all went. I only had 2000 baht in my pocket and had to go get 1000 from my girlfriend, but that didn't seem to affect her - she didn't even lower her ways, trying to shake me down :)

Anyway, all in all it took 20 minutes. I noticed the immigration officer only had an iPhone 4, so I guess she has started to save up for the soon-to-be released iPhone 6 ;)

Thanks for the report but I don't understand the smilies. You have been scammed, did not think of standing up and talk to the senior officer, and find it funny ?

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Maybe you and me are not the same, so I can find this kind of things a bit funny?

As I wrote, it was so shameless and obvious, that I had to restrain myself from laughing. There was no finesse applied from her side. I have never been shaken down before in Thailand, but have travelled all over the world (outside tourist areas) where I have been shaken down many times... And always with more finesse or a bit of humour, than I experienced yesterday.

As I also wrote on the other forum where I originally posted this, I didn't want to rock the boat more than necessary. The way she handled the business, I am sure that all the office know about it, so asking for a supervisor seems pointless, and will most likely only give me trouble if I should need her services another time. I have a lot of 30 days visa exemption stamps over the last three years, and probably is a prime candidate for getting a proper visa, if only they could offer me one that suits my many entries.

Besides, if the alternative is to leave the country, which will cost me a lot more than 1100 baht.

On a last note, I don't think its my role as a guest in this country, to stand up to this relative small scale corruption.

Maybe you and me are not the same, so I can find this kind of things a bit funny?

On a last note, I don't think its my role as a guest in this country, to stand up to this relative small scale corruption.

Sorry, I don't find anything funny in extortion. That is, not corruption, which happens when you pay to get something you should not have obtained. Also, you're making a wrong assumption about the reaction if you were to make a stink, read above to see how quickly the lady officer backed off in another case.

Other than that we probably come from two different ethical standpoints, I do not think self-perceived status in country and petty convenience is reason enough to accept crime passively and then even laugh about it.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

yep,immigration doing everything to loose tourists business

to renew my non immigrants retired visa I have to travel all the way to BKk Wattana gouverment complex.

b cos,outside immigration officials have no more power to do the job.

They first extended 30days with I no need (my 30 days still good)

and have no choice to paying 1900 bath

second move to next counter for my non immigrants visa.

no way,to get it.

I have to come back in 2 weeks for 90 day s extension.......(more $$$$$) for nothing and for lost energy

remember this could be made in one shout

and after maybe in February I will get it?........

I had all paper shit they need (Canada embassies full proof of revenu)

and charge me 2000' bath again.

so they do eve thing,to take down the tourist industry Donw.

amassing Thailand....

They first extended 30days with I no need (my 30 days still good)

and have no choice to paying 1900 bath

second move to next counter for my non immigrants visa.

That was needed because the regulations require at least 15 days remaining for visa conversion. Likely you has less than that so adding the extension made it possible.

FYI, at Jomtien Immigrations on 10 October, expecting to convert my 30-day visa exempt stamp to the Non-Immigrant O, I was offered a seven-day extension to the 30-day permission to stay. I said, "Oh, I thought I could get 30 days?" and they said no. (This was at the information counter by the front door.) It wasn't really a helpful option to me anyway, so I didn't pursue, it, but it really does seem like Jomtien still only issues the old 7-day extension (unless you pay more?)

If this extortion is reported to the higher ups in Bangkok, the reply will be, it's a misunderstanding. That is always the reply. How about the 100 baht collected everyday at Phuket airport, the big boss from Bangkok says it doesn't happen it's a misunderstanding, yet everyday it happens. Corruption cannot nor will not be eliminated in this country in my lifetime. The new PM is also powerless against it, although he talked a good talk when he took over.

FYI, at Jomtien Immigrations on 10 October, expecting to convert my 30-day visa exempt stamp to the Non-Immigrant O, I was offered a seven-day extension to the 30-day permission to stay. I said, "Oh, I thought I could get 30 days?" and they said no. (This was at the information counter by the front door.)

The information counters has no authority or anything in any office. One needs to fill form and present the application to talk with an office.