recent info about region free DVD player

fvw53

Sorry my previous post did not print out lhat my question was about a DVD player

A 76 year old friend asks me to buy a "region free" DVD player with a USB port able to play AVI, MP4 and MKV

The related information in the TV forums is old.

I would prefer DVD player with Thai brand name

Can anybody give updated advise?

I agree with Chicog, just ask the staff.

If you buy a big brand name there is a chance that it is only set up for one zone but the cheap (Chinese or local branded) players will be region free.

For a local brand the price will be from around 600 to 1,000 Baht.

Tesco, Big c & Makro will all stock them.

I have an LG DVD HD recorder that wasn't region free. I searched on the internet and found a site with codes to unlock DVD players. I entered a number, hit enter and it now plays anything and everything.

If you find one you like, search online to see if there is an unlock code listed anywhere.

• Like 1

I would believe all DVD players can be unblocked so that they play back all country codes.

Ask your dealer (such as at The Power Mall) to do it or search the Internet for the respective code and procedures.

Just recently I bought an LG home theater and the sales guy from the Power Mall Bang Kapi was able to "open" the player so it can play back all country codes.

Stupid system, anyway.

All DVD players are made to play in all regions but with more up market models from major manufacturers are then switched in their software to only work in one region. Most cheaper, unbranded models are left switched to their all region mode so will play anything.

You can find region hacks for many different DVD players here.

http://www.myreviewer.com/Site/ForumSearch/region%20hacks