WHY? Idiot Parents

Yeah,. I say idiots. I somehow inherited my deceased brother's boy, when he was 16. He's 100% farang & he'd probably enjoy something like this video below, much to my chagrin, then again I probably would have as well 30 years ago (I'm 47).

But, really, why give a kid a ticket to Thailand & let them go all by themselves?

I'd take my nephew (he'll be 18 in 2 weeks) anytime, WITH ME, so I could look out for him. He can smoke weed, he can drink, he can chase women, I'll keep an eye on it & he'd be OK.

I would make sure he did it in moderation. It's part of growing up, same as I let my 8 year old daughter in the swimming pool. She can swim quite well, but I never take my eyes off her.

Hell, I did illicit things when I was 18-22 or so, I think I was 15 the first time I smoked weed........I recall the place.

Why oh WHY would any parent allow, much less PAY for a 20-22 year old kid to go off into something like this?

Complete idiots is my opinion. Forgive the kids, blame the parents.

My nephew is 100% IDIOT savant. I took the garbage out last Sunday, as the garbage pick-up is usually 0630 on Monday.

I got the idiot savant into a good college (he has a high IQ), so he's on his way out early Monday, & grabs the damned trash can (never mind that it has 60 lbs/25 kg of garbage in it) & drags it back to the house.

IDIOT!

Looking at this video though, which makes me want to puke, maybe some parents just wish them luck? They'd have probably fared better in Iraq/Afghanistan/Vietnam/Falklands/Angola though during war time....whatever the stupid reason for those wars were.

• Like 1

Hell, I did illicit things when I was 18-22 or so, I think I was 15 the first time I smoked weed........I recall the place.

And let me guess, you turned out fine? It's only other people that need protection and hand holding throughout their lives. You know, the stupid ones.

It's thinking like this that leads to the nanny state.

• Like 1

Why would a parent have any *significant* influence over a 20-22 year old? Odd.. very odd.. but this is TV. If they cant make their own decisions (and roll with them, granted not all will be perfect) at that age you've already big-time screwed up, doesnt matter what happens there after. Big idiots are people who think they are still parental guardians for too long.. just food for thought

Edited by matt111

I can understand each of the sentences this guy is writing.

They all make sense individually (except for the 'idiot savant' thing, which means something quite different to how jaywalker is using it.)

But put them all together and it's chaos.

There is no point to this - he is not asking a question or making a statement or reflecting on an event or making an observation on or about Koh Samui.

It seems to be a stream of consciousness event that's characteristic of the ganja he keeps on about!

But it made us smile - so that's all right then!

R

I hitchhiker from Amsterdam to Paris when I was 17.

I was on the eurorail chatting up the chicks and getting nowhere in between cheap beer fests....great times!

last time i saw you smokie...you were still at it!tongue.png

I hitch hiked from old west berlin to glasgow when i was 17 , got a free ride on the chanel ferry back then , pot was every where . I also don't remember being an idiot but that could have been all the pot .

Whilst i find this one of the weediest threads i've seen to surface on the Samui forum i think the OP is also talking a fair degree of nonsense.

Does he expect to wrap a youngster in cotton will until their mid/late twenties? I'd also like to know what experience he has to justify his opinion.

For the record i backpacked around areas of the world such as europe and the middle east, on my own, from the age of nineteen. Would i do it again given my time again. Yes, in a heartbeat.

Why not talk about the real idiot parents on Samui. I was shocked when eating food a moped with a stupid fa rang mother and her 5 or 6 year old on the back shoot off the road and up the pavement. She clearly couldn't ride and yet still put her daughter in a life threatening situation. Her husband was on a second moped with their other 2 young children. Why not hire a car or is the safety of their children not high on their priorities? Either way they go straight to the top of my idiot parents awards.

• Like 2

Well - it is good to see that something is being done. (Better than nothing.) thumbsup.gif

I am sure that the 'slammers' will poo poo this as being far too inadequate, whilst the 'young turks' will gleefully ignore the signs whilst asking to buy things that are pictured on the 'menu'.licklips.gif

Next - everyone will be in uproar when some poor soul dies from alcohol/mushroom poisoning or drowning. (Oh and the local Mafia will be blamed and the BIB baiting will start again.) shock1.gif

Of course - the reliable 'I am never going to Thailand' brigade will wake up as well. violin.gif

My personal view - at least someone is doing something to try and improve things.

• Like 1

Well - it is good to see that something is being done. (Better than nothing.) thumbsup.gif

I am sure that the 'slammers' will poo poo this as being far too inadequate, whilst the 'young turks' will gleefully ignore the signs whilst asking to buy things that are pictured on the 'menu'.licklips.gif

Next - everyone will be in uproar when some poor soul dies from alcohol/mushroom poisoning or drowning. (Oh and the local Mafia will be blamed and the BIB baiting will start again.) shock1.gif

Of course - the reliable 'I am never going to Thailand' brigade will wake up as well. violin.gif

My personal view - at least someone is doing something to try and improve things.

Plus 1 on that !!!!! thumbsup.gif

Agree they are idiots. Having said that there are millions of adult idiots, sex tourists,foreign criminals and non stop alcoholics flooding into Thailand yearly. They leave their brains and common sense at the airport. Not sure what the numbers are likely in the thousands that die here yearly because of ZERO common sense. Yet the sheep keep arriving.

Agree they are idiots. Having said that there are millions of adult idiots, sex tourists,foreign criminals and non stop alcoholics flooding into Thailand yearly. They leave their brains and common sense at the airport. Not sure what the numbers are likely in the thousands that die here yearly because of ZERO common sense. Yet the sheep keep arriving.

Thankfully not everyone, fits that mold .... some good normal people arrive by the thousands too and bring their brains with them and have a good time! thumbsup.gif

and they come back too!

Disagree: Morons arrive here by the millions. Perhaps less than one percent of the problems get reported. How many have died over the years here because of totally stupidity? The OP is not smoking anything. Likely hit a nerve speaking the truth. The parents and the kids have no common sense.

Edited by Jungle Jim

So let me get this straight.

You got "stuck" with your brother's son--typically we call this your nephew which denotes he is your family.

Then you go on to refer to him as an idiot several times.

Basically from the content of this rant and the very rant itself, I can only be thankful the young man was only stuck for two years being subjected to your negative reinforcement. He was still aboy when his father died. An incredibly tragic experience for a boy.

Then he gets sent to live with his self-centered and immature uncle who doesn't appear to have wanted him around.

One can only hope you treat your own young daughter differently and provide her the positive reinforcement thst helps a child become a healthy adult.

Somehow, I think my message will be lost on you.

Good luck to your nephew.

Disagree: Morons arrive here by the millions. Perhaps less than one percent of the problems get reported. How many have died over the years here because of totally stupidity? The OP is not smoking anything. Likely hit a nerve speaking the truth. The parents and the kids have no common sense.

I am convinced that I live on a different island to some of you.

This year to date (September) I have welcomed 371 guests. I also live near/look after 25 long-term renters/residents.

In the last 14 years, I have been 'involved' in

Zero deaths/rapes/muggings/attacks.

One serious car accident - 3 people in hospital - minor injuries. Drunk Russian driver did a runner causing quite a few problems.

One serious motorcycle accident (drunk American - hospitalised).

One case of serious alcohol poisoning. (Australian straight off the plane to the hospital. She stopped breathing as I was taking her to her villa)

One (drunk) English guy slipped in the bathroom and was in hospital for a week and two guests with minor injuries/bites taken to hospital.

5 residents/guests hospitalised with dengue fever.

My worst scenario was a German couple who 'lost' their childen one NYE when they decided to carry on drinking in Chaweng and sent their two children home with the 14 YO driving a motorbike and his younger sister on the back. It took us four hours to find the children.

So - looking at your comments,' Morons arrive here by the millions. Perhaps less than one percent of the problems get reported. How many have died over the years here because of totally stupidity'

Not sure what the statasticians would say (it's late) but 14 years and nearly 400 so called 'morons' so far this year! And In my experience none have died or been seriously injured or mugged/attacked etc etc.

As Jimmy said - no I will make a stronger suggestion. Most people visiting Samui are quite normal!

• Like 1