The Sport of Kings LIVES in Chiang Mai!

Frank James

I thought everyone knew the track existed

Clearly, not "everyone." The local promoters of tourism are overlooking a real asset here. I've never seen this activity listed in the Places to Go/Things to Do sections of local English language publications. I'm sure this would have great appeal to a lot of the Chinese tourists. Chinese are famous for being the world's most avid gamblers. After they have been herded to all of the malls and "outlets", a day at the track may be a nice experience.

Maybe the locals or the Army are happy to keep this a home town thing. (?)

See you at the races.

• Like 1

I thought everyone knew the track existed

. Chinese are famous for being the world's most avid gamblers. , a day at the track may be a nice experience.

Maybe the locals or the Army are happy to keep this a home town thing. (?)

frank...e/s as well..lets keep the chins at baybiggrin.png

Take a red songtaew to where you can get a songtaew that goes to Mae Rim, it is one of the yellow ones, probably at the Chotona road bus station. Ride it out the road toward Mae Rim past the Super Highway. Somebody else can describe the soi to the left that you want to walk down, it is just before the golf course as I recall.

• Like 1

Go to Race Track on public trans. First go to Chiang Puek Road, the highway 107 which starts at Chiang Puek Gate. Walk up the highway to bus terminal, 1 or 2 km. You will see the elephant statue blocking the roadway. Find a yellow songthiow which goes to Mae Rim, ask around. Or go up the road to near Mercure Hotel/Tops supermarket and wait along the roadway. From the terminal the bus goes in a circle nd then up the highway. Past the Univ, past the Canal Road, past another stop light and now out into the green belt. Watch along edge of roadway for red sign pointing out RACE TRACK. Push button, pay 15 baht . Walk thru gate to track.

can anyone describe an economical way to get there from Maya Mall intersection (for those who don't bike or drive). Which songtaews, etc....THX!

perhaps a more expensive way (,but u need to to have your melon working to back winners),go the way as suggested and u will be fluffed before your first bet

grab a private songtaew or tuk tuk, from maya mall perhaps approx 100..to120 baht, when the meetings is finished or u have done your ass

all types of transport is available at paying entrance to get u back

binocs are available for rent at around 40 baht(but that was sometime back)theyhave a table renting them near the big grandstand

best way I.M.O. to enjoy your day at the gee gees,is to pay your way (extra)to the a/c g/stand,please take the right hand stairs which leads u up to your betting perch

take the left hand stairs,and u will be in with the army generals and hangers on,did that on my first visit,sat in a lovely comfy seat,directly opposite the winning post,and a minute later was very politely told it was the generals seat,and was led to the door which gave me the perch i should have had by going up the right hand stairs, beleive me the following is no b/s

the army bloke who hunted me out of the generals perch,gave me a tip , which got up at very nice odds, did e/s back it, not on your nelly

always followed the golden rule ,never listen to. or back tips on the racecourse proper,

,buy the programme,the winner (7 times out of ten)will come from their selections,and not to many times do u see a horse winning two in row.

and if u see a selected horse having a crap ,get out the red pen, great racing to all at c/mai ,its a real fun day

• Like 1

evenstevens, I have a question. I noticed that here, and at the track I visited in Bangkok, there is a wide strip of grass (In Bangkok it's concrete) between the grandstand and the track railing. In the States the crowds all like to get close to the rail, but here only a very few go out there, Is this a "forbidden" area? There are signs at intervals along the rail, but I don't read Thai. Is it not OK to watch the race from the rail?

Maybe it's to protect the public. That track surface is sand, and, as can be seen in wyndham's excellent collection of trackside photos, a great deal of dust gets kicked up on a dry day. Prolonged exposure to that dust can give one silicosis/C.O.P.D.