MRT Fares scheduled to rise in the new year

Taxi Fares rising over protests.

Fuel now above pre excise tax removal prices

Electricity increased

Water (the joke that it is) increased

Is this a catch up or just a cash up??

Your thoughts??

Oz

I would presume that the government is trying to rebalance the tax base from that of a punitive tax ... taxing companies and individuals earnings ... to a more balanced consumption based tax collection.

As a country develops and becomes 'richer' it's not unusual to do this.

If the wage/salaried/profits based taxes are reduced then that might, and I say might, show a 'reward for effort' and working more doesn't necessarily incur punitive measures.

Well ... that's my take on it anyway.

What do I know ... I'm just a guest here.

• Like 1

It is a rise in prices which occurs in every country all of the time.

Not exponentially, which is what has been happening here over the past few years. IMO, aside from digs, rent and eating out; vis-a-vis on quality, it is already more expensive than where I'm from, at least at the supermarket and when buying cars.

It is a rise in prices which occurs in every country all of the time.

Not exponentially, which is what has been happening here over the past few years. IMO, aside from digs, rent and eating out; vis-a-vis on quality, it is already more expensive than where I'm from, at least at the supermarket and when buying cars.

Britain annual % inflation of consumer prices from 2009 to 2013

2.2 3.3 4.5 2.8 2.6

Thailand same

-0.8 3.3 3.8 3.0 2.2

USA same

-0.4 1.6 3.2 2.1 1.5

Edited by AYJAYDEE

All the money the previous government wasted or put in their own pocket must come from somewhere.

From the taxpayer....the only sad thing is that the responsible people continue to live their happy rich life while Somchai the farmer with low income has to pay more for the goods he needs.

Let the VAT at 7% and size the funds of the Shinawatras, Barnharns, etc etc of Thailand.

I'm not naive enough to not understand the simple theory of inflation. What the topic was about is the SUDDEN increases across the board, is it a cash-up chance that could only be done under a junta? Japan just recently raised their VAT as well, but it met protests in the streets....

Thailand has always been expensive on some items, cars one of them. But the grass root charges and taxes that are coming in a quick succession is a little more obviously underlying something else perhaps?.

Oz

I'm not naive enough to not understand the simple theory of inflation. What the topic was about is the SUDDEN increases across the board, is it a cash-up chance that could only be done under a junta? Japan just recently raised their VAT as well, but it met protests in the streets....

Thailand has always been expensive on some items, cars one of them. But the grass root charges and taxes that are coming in a quick succession is a little more obviously underlying something else perhaps?.

Oz

you were talking about EXPONENTIAL increases over the last FEW YEARS!

Holes in roads. Crap schools. Crap hospitals. Crap police. Corrupt govt.

But we don't want to pay taxes. Hmmmmmmm

If people paid more taxes, could they be assured that all of the money would go to fix the above? The education system would be fixed with a few more dollars? coffee1.gif

That's not really the point thought is it

I thought this was supposed to be about Thailand?

Sounds more like where I came from... and why I came

Well, if that's the way you like it, don't moan about anything u see day to day.

When people come on here and ask "why does this happen, or why does that happen?". 99% of the time its because there never was enough money to do or pay for stuff. People are corrupt yes. I probably would be too if I was a teacher earning 15k per month and had bills to pay.

The rises you refer to are . . . pifling!

Inflation - yes happening in certain areas, but other areas like digs it is zero in my experience.

The hotel I stay in BKK for 8 years now - still the same price. The rooms I have rented in Korat for 3 or 6 months in a year - this year the cheapest ever, and the best.

Cup of coffee including iced water and hot tea from a little chubby lady in The Mall Korat - 40baht. Yes, up from 35 baht recently, but still an outrageous bargin considering the high rent location. And 40b meals in your basic Thai eatery - still available.

Take it as it comes.

And lets face it, the corrupt big boys are always going to be putting the hand out - gimme more!

We all think the costs are way cheaper, it really wasn't the point, my electricity went up like $10, I'm still laughing. Not my point. But if you look at some of the increases relatively even our 35 to 40 Baht increase, that's a 15% price rise. Now in the west if they decided to jack something up 15% it would be noticeable. I purchase the Nescafe Latte by the case and in the last 2 years it has gone from 280 a slab to 317 yet the price on the shelf at any convenience store has remained at 13 Baht... its the nickel and diming, not for us 'rich' expats, but the average Thai would be feeling the pinch I'd reckon.

Oz

There have been many negative aspects of commerce in the Thai economy this year...

The downward trend in GNP and tourism is not likely to change quickly...

The increase in fees will compensate for the lack of revenue...fees are the easiest place to increase revenue into the gov't coffers...so that the tax burden is divided somewhat evenly...

Edited by ggt

VAT on the agenda to rise from 7 to 8%

MRT Fares scheduled to rise in the new year

Taxi Fares rising over protests.

Fuel now above pre excise tax removal prices

Electricity increased

Water (the joke that it is) increased

Is this a catch up or just a cash up??

Your thoughts??

Oz

BLANK catching up, or cashing in?

As you can see you place any country's name there and it would all be relative. You have choices here, come to Canada to see how bizzaro prices inflate and the tax structure. Thailand is bush league in comparison.

To answer your question, it's inflation, excluding vat, as the Thai's pay for it too.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

If I compare the cost of visiting Thailand now to that of 10 years ago. I would say its not that expensive.

Cost of flights increased, but thats not really Thailands fault.

Cost of hotels - about right.

Cost of food/eating out, yes that has increased but also the quality of variety of foods has increased too. You get what you are prepared to pay for it.

Thailand seems to be on track.

Exactly people are crying out for changes and that costs money. A lot more to come yet.

And of course many more opportunities sme to line their own pockets Ah progress.

jb1