TOT Wireless Internet

anon467848

I was in a TOT office and saw a promo for wireless internet. 20Mbps 1,290 baht per month.

Apparently some sort of a receiver is connected to your house and you get wireless internet around the house. Apart from not having cables running into your house and connected to a router what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Anybody currently using this system?

I'm not sure if it would be safe for emails and internet banking. Of course the TOT staff assured me that it was 100% safe.smile.png

I am also very interested in this offer. But whenever we ask our local TOT office in Tha Tum (Surin province) they say they don't have anything to offer out in the sticks. Isn't that TOT Winet?

Edited by Dario

As worldtraveller wrote, this is TOT's WiNet (Wireless Internet) service.

Apart from not having cables running into your house and connected to a router what are the advantages/disadvantages?

This is an alternative to delivery method to TOT's DSL or FTTx service for mostly rural areas that are too far for conventional fixed wire systems to reach.

In order to receive the service there must first be a mobile phone data tower within 25km and a clear line-of-sight path to your location and one of it's sectro-panel antennas pointed in your general direction. On your end a combination radio/antenna/router is then either attached to the side of your building or put up on a tall pole where it can receive/send data to the MultiPoint data transceiver on the tower.

An Ethernet cable will run down from the unit to a router or router/WiFi in your home.

A search for ThaiVisa WiNet or AirNet should return multiple threads where ThaiVisa members have described their good/bad experiences with the service.

If you can't get a fixed wire, then WiNet or AirNet is the second best ideal as it delivers the same service as fixed wire Internet (fixed fee, fixed speeds, unlimited data). The alternative is to go with a 3G/LTE service and subscription, and purchase data caps.

Edited by RichCor

In my 3 years of experience with the system, when TOT's winet is working - it works very well. When it is not working - it is very difficult to get TOT to repair it; often taking weeks.

I now have a similar set up from CAT; works well and their service is outstanding.

Edited by Utley