Work Permit Question

Hi,

I'm a 36 year old Brit looking to work in Thailand. I'm aware of some of the difficulties in doing this and am prepared for a long slog.

I have noted that you need a O visa to get a work permit.

First question to come up is can you apply for a work permit without actually having a job?

I know it sounds silly but I had an automated response from a recruitment agency saying that they would not consider any applications without the relevant work permits. But if you can't get a permit without having a job offer, it kind of puts you into a never ending loop! :o

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

HoJo

First question to come up is can you apply for a work permit without actually having a job?

No! The required documentation, when applying for a worpkpermit, includes several company documents from the would-be employer. In practic: a workpermit is for some specific employer at some specific location and for som specific jobfunction(s) --- all stipulated in the workpermit itself.

Hey

I would speak to the Thai Consul in Hull, he is called Alan Taylor. I spoke with him this week. What a great guy. Very helpful, explained the system and assured me that when I return to the UK next year and apply for a Non Imm. B Multi Entry, he would have no problems issuing one, if the regulations haven't changed. He gave me great advice and put my mind at total rest.

The Hull website Thai Consulate Hull UK has also recently (June 2006) just updated all their forms and info. sheets and they are all available as downloadable .pdf files.

After the very rude an unprofessional way I was dealt with by the Thai Embassy in London, I was shocked at how helpful, friendly and informative The Consul was in Hull. I will never call London again.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi,

I'm a 36 year old Brit looking to work in Thailand. I'm aware of some of the difficulties in doing this and am prepared for a long slog.

I have noted that you need a O visa to get a work permit.

I know it sounds silly but I had an automated response from a recruitment agency saying that they would not consider any applications without the relevant work permits. But if you can't get a permit without having a job offer, it kind of puts you into a never ending loop! :o

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

HoJo

Hojo,

A number of employers do not want to deal with the red tape. How some people have gotten around this, they form a company and get a work permit as the employer/employee of that company they have formed. The "employer" simply hires that company to do the work. The employee changes the address in his work permit to include this companies ("employer") address as he has a contract. This way he is legal with no redtape by the "employer." The new company formed, gets a check from the "employer" and pays the MD "employee"

Of course the "employer" better compensate for this extra cost and maintenance of the company. You also as a "employee" have no rights as a employee of the "employer." It is contract work, business to business.

www.lawyer.th.com

Hard to get the work permit paperwork without a firm job offer. Most job offers come via an interview. lf you are not in country, that makes your job hunting a bit more difficult. Once you find a job, the employer should offer all supporting paperwork for a work permit. Once that process is begun, then you can apply for the relevant visa.

Hard to get the work permit paperwork without a firm job offer.

I'd say it is impossible based on my information - a work permit is connected to a certain employment.

The koscher process is, you get a job offer from a Thai company which meets the requirements for hiring a foreigner, they supply you with the relevant papers, you (or a company rep) takes these documents to the Labour office, they issue a WP3 (temporary work permit in the form of a document) which you take together with the company papers on a visa run to a Thai posting (embassy or consulate) abroad.

At the posting, you will be issued a Non-Immigrant Business Visa (often referred to as a 'Non-B'), and when you enter Thailand you and a company rep go to the Labour office, and upon seeing you having the relevant type of visa, they will issue a blue book Work Permit for you, and it will be valid for as long as your permission to stay in Thailand is valid.

It is reported that some diplomat postings do not require the initial WP3 temporary work permit for the application, but according to the rules, they have the right to ask for it, and if you dont have it, they may deny you the visa.