Help a Thai, they get very angry.

Brizzy

"if you didn't engage in any conversation'

Gave him a Hi as I entered.

Asked where he's from in English.

He said Khon Kaen.

I asked what do you do in Bangkok.

He said 'work'.

Strange to see a Buddhist get so angry at being offered advice that would benefit them. smile.png

would you find it equally strange if he was a christian?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should count yourself lucky he didn't throw a bottle at your head.

Well he's Thai for one thing. They wouldn't do such a thing. 95% of Thais are Buddhist and all Thais are educated as Buddhists in school.

It was a nice house, not an English football terrace!

why would a buddhist be any less prone to violence than a christian?

Well he's Thai for one thing. They wouldn't do such a thing. 95% of Thais are Buddhist and all Thais are educated as Buddhists in school.

You would consider bottle-throwing English football hooligans to be Christians?

Don't think you've been around the block mate, so to speak.

• Like 1

forget the red herrings and answer my question, MATE!

Oh right, sorry.

I was in a neighbour's house, this guy was playing an old version of Championship Manager (03/04), a football management game. I remembered that Carlos Tevez was a great, cheap player ('Wonderkid' to those who know the game) to sign then from Boca Juniors in Argentina.

So wrote his name down.

Had my hand pushed away and was told to F Off (in English biggrin.png )

Struck me as bit un-Buddhist and was quite surprising.

Maybe it is something to do with who he supports (from the other side of the world that he couldn't find on a map).

Or maybe he didn't want 2 ugly mugs in the room. whistling.gif

Are they in the catholic schools ?

The majority of private schools are Christian. 95% of nothing is Buddhist in this country. Buddhism is the default religion as it is in the US or UK. In God we trust is on the US dollar doesn't make everyone who uses US currency a Christian.

1. Thailand has a high domestic violence rate.

2. Thailand has a high murder rate.

3. Thailand has a high percentage of drug, prostitution, gambling addiction.

These are not Buddhist's traits.

People are people. You keep saying the same thing over and over but you are not responding to the direct questions being asked to you.

You still cannot see why your actions were the one's that were wrong.

You make it clear that you are just trolling now. Either answer/respond to the direct questions posters have commented on about your assumptions and narrow minded brush strokes or admit that you are just a troll.

"you should count yourself lucky he didn't throw a bottle at your head."

forget the red herrings and answer my question, MATE!

What's with your anger? sad.png

Do share. You'll feel better. :)

Next time OP ... just say ... Khun tham di dee mak ,.. roughly - you did a good job... I get very good reactions when I say this in an appropriate moment ...

That would be like saying "you did very well, sir

A) Sarcasm rarely exists in Thai and most Thais don't get it

cool.png your "good" reaction probably comes from them not understanding you

C) you wouldn't use the pronoun "khun" to get that point across

Well ... Dear Linguist... I have used the phrase several times... the Thais involved knew exactly what I was trying to say ... and continued to interact at the time and later on in a very friendly fashion ... Not one of them interpreted it as sarcasm or anything other than what was intended... You sir have no appreciation for what goes on with Thai people and Farangs (Westerners) when the intent in understood by numerous things such as past interactions, body language, overall tone, the situation and context and related things... Maybe you ought to go to the school of life - not just continue your fourth nerdy - geeky year in the technical aspect of Thai language communication at the mucky- muck level - which no one in real life uses...

Wait, so you are saying it was NOT said sarcastically; meaning you really mean they are doing a good jobblink.png

I'm pretty sure you could say literally "blah blah blah" to the same people and get the same reaction.

Advice; learn some proper Thai and don't assume people know what you mean just cause you "want" them to.

Perhaps if you told the whole story. Lad implies youth. You should have said I walked past a neighbors house that I don't really know very well walked in and told a man that he is not very good at a game (in his native language or yours?) and suggested him to do things differently even though he didn't ask for your help.

"Wouldn't most Westerners have a lot to gain from spending time with Buddhists?"

I am sorry was he wearing orange robes? If not then why would you assume that he is a practicing anything. Just being Thai doesn't mean that you follow any of the precepts. Since more than 50% of the population break one of them daily, I doubt that we are talking about enlightened individuals. They are people who have the same faults, prides and prejudices as every person where you come from. You are white so you must be a Christian and turning the other cheek is customary but not you. You go on a forum and blame the person that you offended.

Second of all unless he was a fluent English speaker, he might not know the seriousness of <deleted>.

Now that we know the "Lad" was an adult this doesn't matter but.

Eliot rosewater

"If I said "F U" to an adult when I was a kid; an adult of ANY race or ethnicity; my mother would have slapped me into next week"

I doubt that your parents would have given a flying fuxx if you had told someone to ... in a foreign language that they didn't know.

Kids at school here give the middle finger all the time because they see it in movies and don't understand the impact. So culturally it has no value other than a cool foreign way of telling some off.

Everyone in Thailand knows EXACTLY what the middle finger means; in fact it is MORE offensive here than back home. Try giving it to a driver on the road; there is a good chance you will be killed.

Nice try, but no. Dummy up pleasegiggle.gif

"Struck me as bit un-Buddhist and was quite surprising."

Again with the Buddhist assumption. The person was a man playing a game, what does one's assumed religion have to do with it? Are you really that ignorant and racist? How do you know he was Buddhist, how do you know anything about the guy? Why would someone from a Buddhist country act any different to some arrogant interferer than someone from a Christian country?

Bottom line: if he wasn't a friend, if you weren't speaking his native language, if you didn't engage in any conversation before giving him suggestions, then you should count yourself lucky he didn't throw a bottle at your head.

You were in the wrong. Why can't you accept that?

Yes, once a foreigner engaged me on the street back home; he wasn't speaking my language and wanted me to try the food at the restaurant he was working at. Not sure what he was saying, just pointing at the menu and saying some gibberish in another language.

I took a bottle and smashed it over his head.

You approve of this behavior, right zeichen????

• Like 1

Had my hand pushed away and was told to F Off (in English biggrin.png )

This is such a bizarre thread. For the record, I've never had a Thai tell me to F off. Ever. And I've been in Thailand 10+ years and have interacted with thousands of Thais. So clearly, either you did something to annoy the guy, or you're just a weirdo/sicko (or both?).

Also, why the obsession with Buddhism? I mean, back in the US, we have people acting inappropriately all the time. No one says "is this a Christian thing?" Unless the perpetrator was a priest.

"Everyone in Thailand knows EXACTLY what the middle finger means; in fact it is MORE offensive here than back home. Try giving it to a driver on the road; there is a good chance you will be killed."

I'm sorry but they just don't. It is a cultural expression that doesn't have the same implications. Knowing it is an insult is one thing but not knowing the exact implications.

as for the road rage comment that is something else entirely.

"Yes, once a foreigner engaged me on the street back home; he wasn't speaking my language and wanted me to try the food at the restaurant he was working at. Not sure what he was saying, just pointing at the menu and saying some gibberish in another language."

not exactly the best analogy but keep trolling you are good at it. Did this foreigner come into your home and tell you how to do something while you were minding your own business? Not really the same.

FYI I was being slightly sarcastic but my point was that the OP was in the wrong completely. If you think that the OP is in the right then continue your trolling otherwise why are you even quoting me other than trying to pointlessly debate.

"Everyone in Thailand knows EXACTLY what the middle finger means; in fact it is MORE offensive here than back home. Try giving it to a driver on the road; there is a good chance you will be killed."

I'm sorry but they just don't. It is a cultural expression that doesn't have the same implications. Knowing it is an insult is one thing but not knowing the exact implications.

as for the road rage comment that is something else entirely.

"Yes, once a foreigner engaged me on the street back home; he wasn't speaking my language and wanted me to try the food at the restaurant he was working at. Not sure what he was saying, just pointing at the menu and saying some gibberish in another language."

not exactly the best analogy but keep trolling you are good at it. Did this foreigner come into your home and tell you how to do something while you were minding your own business? Not really the same.

FYI I was being slightly sarcastic but my point was that the OP was in the wrong completely. If you think that the OP is in the right then continue your trolling otherwise why are you even quoting me other than trying to pointlessly debate.

You make it sound like the OP wandered into this house out of the blue. I would tend to think this is not the case, he was probably invited in.

You sound like a very miserly person, and I will stick with the idea that MOST Thais know exactly what F U means.

• Like 2

"MOST Thais"

Really, I have lived her for more than 15 years. I studied at University here and I don't even know 1% of all Thai people. Please share your insights how you can know an entire culture and how they relate/understand foreign expressions.

Or are you still trolling.

Please insult me directly some more. I like that touch too.

"MOST Thais"

Really, I have lived her for more than 15 years. I studied at University here and I don't even know 1% of all Thai people. Please share your insights how you can know an entire culture and how they relate/understand foreign expressions.

Or are you still trolling.

Please insult me directly some more. I like that touch too.

He didn't say he knows these people, he made an assumption. A true one, in my opinion. I'd be surprised if there was anyone NOT being aware of the middle finger. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, it doesn't make it more right. Thais may not be Marco Polos but even they know what this middle finger means. It's not like it is solely an American thing.

Yes, they can be like that. Unless perhaps he thought you were trying to give him your phone number, there's a possibility face was lost somewhere, perhaps due to you knowing more than him about the game, so the best way to save face (in his eyes) might be to react with a F.U. Seen similar many a time. It's not all smiles here, eh what! Just move on with a 'go F yourself' or don't worry about it, you can't educate pork. smile.png

Maybe this is why one tenth of one percent of thai population control 46% of the nations wealth.

The longer i stay here i just see things that just arent smart. You cant gain wealth wo BRAINS.

Perhaps if you told the whole story. Lad implies youth. You should have said I walked past a neighbors house that I don't really know very well walked in and told a man that he is not very good at a game (in his native language or yours?) and suggested him to do things differently even though he didn't ask for your help.

"Wouldn't most Westerners have a lot to gain from spending time with Buddhists?"

I am sorry was he wearing orange robes? If not then why would you assume that he is a practicing anything. Just being Thai doesn't mean that you follow any of the precepts. Since more than 50% of the population break one of them daily, I doubt that we are talking about enlightened individuals. They are people who have the same faults, prides and prejudices as every person where you come from. You are white so you must be a Christian and turning the other cheek is customary but not you. You go on a forum and blame the person that you offended.

Second of all unless he was a fluent English speaker, he might not know the seriousness of <deleted>.

Now that we know the "Lad" was an adult this doesn't matter but.

Eliot rosewater

"If I said "F U" to an adult when I was a kid; an adult of ANY race or ethnicity; my mother would have slapped me into next week"

I doubt that your parents would have given a flying fuxx if you had told someone to ... in a foreign language that they didn't know.

Kids at school here give the middle finger all the time because they see it in movies and don't understand the impact. So culturally it has no value other than a cool foreign way of telling some off.

Everyone in Thailand knows EXACTLY what the middle finger means; in fact it is MORE offensive here than back home. Try giving it to a driver on the road; there is a good chance you will be killed.

Nice try, but no. Dummy up pleasegiggle.gif

True, a German man was shot dead at a stoplight in Chiang Mai about 5 yrs ago for giving a Thai driver the finger.

The news story is probably still on google.