Thai Group Think

sustento

Some time ago someone post the results of a survey in here showing how different nations are either individualistic or tend to group together. The Thais stood out by their tendency to group together. I can't remember who posted it or what it was called. Can anyone else? Does anyone know where it can be found on the 'net?

Edited by sustento

I found when working with university students that it was very much a group culture. I call it 'the culture of my friend, I don't know his name'.

To put a bit of a gay flavour on it.... I had a boyfriend in Chiangmai who was taken by his friends, so-called, to a (girlie-type) brothel at age 16, did what everyone else did.... and as a result died of AIDS a few years later.

You are talking about IDV - Individualism vs Collectivism. Somewhere on this site there were the original four dimension for all countries:

http://geert-hofstede.com/dimensions.html

Cannot find the country list now, my first coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

That's the one. I've had a look round the website but can't find the country list either.

Fantastic and informative link -- I'll buy you that beer and Sustento can have one too!

Be careful - he might ply you with alcohol and have his wicked way with you when you're drunk w00t.gif

Nah, the last time that happened, he just put me in a taxi and sent me home!

• Like 2

Fantastic and informative link -- I'll buy you that beer and Sustento can have one too!

Be careful - he might ply you with alcohol and have his wicked way with you when you're drunk w00t.gif

That's not what I was told... rolleyes.gif

That's not what I was told... rolleyes.gif

That's what I did. And I would do the same to you!

Now, that 25-yo Thai guy next to you is a totally different story...