' People's Alliance' Continues Bid To Oust Thaksin

george

'People's Alliance' continues bid to oust Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will continue its campaign to seek caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's exit from politics despite the general election having now been set to take place in mid-October.

PAD co-ordinator Suriyasai Katasila said the holding of the general election is a separate issue from that of the election. The democracy coalition's campaign goal has consistently been for Mr. Thaksin to retire from politics due to his failure to clarify a number of corruption and nepotism allegations.

Mr. Suriyasai said the PAD will meet soon to discuss how to proceed with its call for Mr. Thaksin to step down until various alleged acts of corruption that took place under the aegis of his government can be thoroughly investigated and put to rest.

"Until now, Mr. Thaksin has failed to answer or clarify many doubts, including the tax-free sale of shares worth Bt73 billion of Shin Corp and the fact that he dissolved the Parliament to evade accountability," the activist leader charged.

"It has been clear that PAD's activities have nothing to do with the electoral process," he said, but deal with the legitimacy of the caretaker prime minister's role in politics.

The People's ALliance for Democracy, he added, has never opposed the principle of holding general elections, but the questions that concern PAD deal with Mr Thaksin's legitimacy to govern and his alleged distortion and misuse of democratic institutions.

--TNA 2006-07-22

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here we go again .... Thaksin will step aside ?? or not ??

I think not. He already tried that once and it worked - took the pressure off.

The PAD should look up democracy in the dictionary.

It is more to do with one man one vote than marching in Bangkok.

The man and his party have been elected three times in succession by my count.

I read in another news report that Thaksin is the target of criminal perjury charges

in relation to a civil case he lost last year.

Normally one would expect a senior politician to resign under these circumstances

but as he said himself "Hey , this is Thailand !"

All these opposition malcontents would do better to mount an attractive program

which might get them elected. They don't yet seem to be doing that.

:o

One could refer you back to literally 1000's of posts on the subject Farangsay .....

It is up to the political parties to come up with plans and actions for the Gov't ...

The PAD is not about that. They are facing down Dr. Police LtCol. Thaksin on moral grounds ... and on the lack of the ability of the gorvernment to do that due to the checks and balances of the Thai political system being destroyed under Thaksin.

One man One vote ... only works when elections are fair ... and only works when Gov'ts are accountable.

One could refer you back to literally 1000's of posts on the subject Farangsay .....

Hope you're not trying to be condescending there pal.

It is up to the political parties to come up with plans and actions for the Gov't ...

Yeah..... ?

The PAD is not about that. They are facing down Dr. Police LtCol. Thaksin on moral grounds ... and on the lack of the ability of the gorvernment to do that due to the checks and balances of the Thai political system being destroyed under Thaksin.

The government can't face down Thaksin on moral grounds ? Maybe this is a terminology problem. The government (in the parliamentary sense) is made up of ministers from the TRT party , huh ? Thaksin needs their support to stay in office ? If he loses their support , let

alone finds them "trying to face him down" , he's out , huh ?

One man One vote ... only works when elections are fair ... and only works when Gov'ts are accountable.

Yeah...? So what do you want to do? Try something else ? Disenfranchise evrybody with a TRT party card ? Disbar any political candidate you don't consider moral and honest ? I've lived in countries where they did that sort of thing. It did produce "stable government" but a few other adjectives could be applied too

The key now is to erode his support in Isaan. There are few other options.

I think this guy just might have a good point.

He ALLEDGEDLY will not seek the premiership.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=820644

Well, it's good to be back home now after a very interesting, educational, and fun trip throughout the entire North... and it's refreshing to be returning to the civilization that is Central Thailand....

Opened the news just in time to read that Thaksin is NOT going to try and return as PM with the Oct. 15 election... or at least a source says he's not:

Thaksin 'to take a break after election'

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will take a break from politics and not accept the prime ministership after the Oct 15 election, said a highly-placed source in the Thai Rak Thai party yesterday. The source's remarks came as government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said Mr Thaksin would stand as Thai Rak Thai's number-one party-list candidate in the poll. The source insisted that the party leader would take a break from politics after the election.

Allegedly is the key word s.j.

I think the only hope is that the rest of the TRT start to act as if they are individual elected officials of the Thai people and not just insignificant objects governed by a master of deceit and self advancing power and manipulation.

What has happened, even since April 2cnd. will not be forgotten that i am sure of and lot,s of outstanding accusations / questions need answering long before the election date.

Does Toxin really think all is forgiven and forgotten and this is a new start.

What arrogance he displays once again and what an insult to the constitution and society at all levels.

The man is a bullying imbecile, and lacking totally of respect.

Just my humble opinion, which hasn,t changed from when he was first falsely elected, thanks only to his wealth and bribes.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

one person one vote democracy is irrelevant in this day of mass media control.. it is evident in more countries other than thailand.

if you do not have grass roots people who believe in your platforms on the ground you will not pass muster.

education and access is as always they key - else media corp will lube you up....

Is it just me or has Thaksin successfully avoided answering any and all questions of substance in the last several months? The last one I can clearly recall is the Shin deal explanation.

I get the same vibes and it doesn,t appear good from where i,m observing.

Due to certain Forum rules that have to be respected it is difficult to post what i think on Toxins undermining of Thai society.

From a previous post i would like to reiterate the following :-

What arrogance he displays once again and what an insult to the constitution and society at all levels.

The last sentence reflects how i see the situation and compliments your feelings about past indiscretions

I hope my gut feeling is wrong for once and all the nagging doubts will be answered in the coming days.

How the hel_l can Toxin be allowed to carry on as if nothing has happened ?????????????????????

Let us hope for all our sakes that things are going on behind the scenes to address all the unanswered questions and charges which surely need to be dealt with..........or else.......it will be the same old ****.

I,m sick of the T.I.T. mentality, as if this gives an o.k. and no problem then, like hel_l it does.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. It seems that several similar threads are once again starting to run which will be a headache for the mods along with T.Visa members.

Obviously due to the various news clippings we are fortunate to be updated on.

Duplication of thoughts are inevitable, in my humble opinion of course. :D

Edited by marshbags

He ALLEDGEDLY will not seek the premiership.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=820644

Allegedly is the key word s.j.

I think the only hope is that the rest of the TRT start to act as if they are individual elected officials of the Thai people and not just insignificant objects governed by a master of deceit and self advancing power and manipulation.

What has happened, even since April 2nd will not be forgotten that i am sure of and lots of outstanding accusations/questions need answering long before the election date.

The man is a bullying imbecile, and lacking totally of respect.

Just my humble opinion, which hasn,t changed from when he was first falsely elected, thanks only to his wealth and bribes.

marshbags

I agree marshbags, but I think there's a precedent that Thaksin would do well to follow and that would be Colpyat's resignation from Thaivisa which, thus far, he's kept.

True, by actually following through on something he's said, it's the most honesty he's shown, but Colpyat's lead is one that Thaksin should duplicate and thus prove himself to be a man of his word.

A resignation is a resignation. A promise not to be PM is a promise not to be PM.

Thaksin to sue Sondhi, associates for Bt1 billion

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will Monday sue media tycoon Sonthi Limthongkul and 11 others, demanding Bt1 billion compensation for allegedly damaging reputation of Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai over the so-called "Finland Polt" allegations.

Thana Benjathikul, a lawyer of Thaksin, said Sunday that he would represent Thaksin to file the libel suit with the Civil Court at 10 am.

Two of the co-defendants would be caretaker Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong and Pramote Nakhonthap, an academic.

The three had allegedly said during a seminar at Thammasat University that Thaksin and core members of the Thai Rak Thai had drafted the "Finland Plot" during a vacation in Finland. The seminar was aired on ASTV satellite TV run by Thai Day Dot Com, a subsidiary of Manager Media Group.

As part of the plot, the three alleged, the Thai Rak Thai would try to seize absolute power in the country.

Thana said the suit would name a total of 12 defendants, both individuals and legal entities. The rest of the defendants would be Thai Day Dot Com Co Ltd, the management of Manager Media Group Plc and CAT Telecom Plc.

The Nation

About suing people for defamation - it was in King's birthday speech.

I think PAD people were quite clear - their gripes with Thaksin have nothing to do with elections. So far none of the current cases in the courts addresses those issues.

If Thaksin returns as a PM we will be back to square 1 - February 24, the day before the House was dissolved.

Let's see how people react. With Thais you never know. Perhaps they will forget about Shin sale and just let Thaksin to get on with it. Perhaps more of them will come to the streets. It's really up to the people now.

The lecture lecture. You know the one. However the Finland plan call for ignoring such lectures, so one again by suing it substantiates the claim.

We should list who he sued but the list would be too long. We should also list the questions he did not answer.

Edited by John K

P.S. It seems that several similar threads are once again starting to run which will be a headache for the mods along with T.Visa members.

It is marshbags... and as news stories emerge sometimes it's difficult for us to decide which thread to post them on... or start a new topic.

I'd like to think we can stay on-topic if possible, and leave this thread for PAD developments/actions, and leave this thread for political developments leading up to the election.

Of course, if some ground-shaking development occurs, a new thread is highly likely.

Anyway, this is the nature of politics hey?

If Thaksin decides not to accept the PMship in the next electoral reform government and if the Oct 15 election is held under a new EC, the PAD will probably find they do not have the support for further demonstrations, and a maybe uneasy calm will settle on the political situation in the short term. Then people can turn their minds to thhe electoral reform that all seem to think will follow.

Some big ifs though.

the PAD? who are they again? who cares what the PAD does. they have no power, no legitimacy, and lately, no credibility either. they're going down baby.

The PAD are the allaince that persuaded 9 million voters to vote no to Thaksin.

Sonthi Limthongkul had the guts to take on Thaksin and tell the Thai people what the Thaksin regime really entails, namely total domination of all checks and balances and government media with all contracts for the TRT cronies.

They know that they must take a backseat now an election has been declared, but they know as even TRT bigwigs know now, there will never be unity so long as Thaksin is in charge, he's not that magnanimous to allow a rival such as Somkhit to take his place.

Any substitute PM for Thaksin will be someone he can control like Pongthep, or Pokhin.

The dude, as a someone trying to encourage investment into Thailand wouldn't you prefer a government that's transparent, open to checks and balances, not one that dissolves Parliament at the thought of being quizzed about the PM's business transactions?

Well at least for now the PAD will be a sort of watchdog with teeth. If Thaksin gets out of line and really starts messing with people again the PAD can call rallies on it. Hopefully that bad press will find it’s way to Thaksin country. I still think the need to erode his base in the north should be a priority. All other actions may look good and make people feel good like something is being done, but ultimately it is the vote that counts.

the PAD? who are they again? who cares what the PAD does. they have no power, no legitimacy, and lately, no credibility either. they're going down baby.

"they're going down baby."

Like the three bottles of Mehkong you have just drunk ! :o

Mister dude Sir, It is the captain of the good ship TRT that is going down. The man has lots of money but no credibility. Had it not been for the dedication of the P.A.D. and people like Sondhi, and the hundreds of thousands of like minded citizens, Thaksin would have continued to plunder the Kingdom until the cupboard was bare.

The eyes of the world will be on these upcoming elections and the next few months may have a lot of surprises in store. The 3 intransigent EC commissioners are going down first then perhaps the new elections will possibly be fair and transparent. Caretaker P.M. Pol.,Lt Gen,Dr.,Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated that he may not accept the position of PM after the elections are complete. That is assuming TRT wins which is highly likely since his support is in the rural areas where the majority of Thais live.

The courts have a duty to follow the wise words of H.M. The King when he said he wanted free and fair elections. The military under Gen. Sonthi has been reshuffled and officers on Thaksin's leash have been reposted out of Bangkok.

It's a slightly different ball game now.

5 dudes that are not going down. :D

No Power? .... Thaksin dissolves Parlaiment and calls snap elections

No Legitimacy? .... Thaksin announces he will NOT serve as PM in next Gov't ...

Credibility? :D Compared to whom? :D