Transport Ministry urges Thai taxi drivers to upgrade service ahead of fare hike review

webfact

Transport Ministry urges taxi drivers to upgrade service ahead of fare hike review

BANGKOK, 1 October 2014 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry has urged taxi operators to comply with the standard of services set by the ministry, while it considers a taxi fare increase.

Taxi operators are asked to maintain their car in good condition within 30 days, starting from October 5. The move will include upgrading services offered by drivers and improving the cleanliness of the vehicle. Once taxis in Thailand can meet the standards outlined by the ministry, a review of a fare hike will then be conducted.

Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong said earlier that although the ministry has yet to reach a decision on whether it will approve the taxi fare increase, a fare hike is very likely given the current level of living expenses.

Earlier, taxi operators had submitted a petition requesting a fare increase, after LPG and NGV fuel prices in the transport sector are slated to go up next month. They said the starting rate of taxi fares have been capped at 35 baht for the first three kilometers for a decade even though LPG prices were adjusted upwards several times.

The call includes 20% increase in taxi fare in accordance with distance, extension of service years for taxis from 9 to 12 years, and a tax exemption for cars that are to be registered as taxis.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-01 footer_n.gif

The base fare of 35 Baht is for the 1st km not for the 1st 3 km as mentioned by the taxi operators and it's not capped for a decade.

The last fare hike was 7 years ago. (2007)

Back then the base fare was kept at 35 Baht but the distances shortened.

• Like 2

There are some older Taxis on the road but I have never got into a dirty taxi. Some of the older ones have some wear and tear but their not being clean has never been an issue ... though some have smelled a bit funky. The cleanliness issue being brought up as a way to put some responsibility on Taxi drivers to be compensated properly would cause some anger on my part if I was a Taxi driver.

Raise the fairs and address other issues as needed but playing games and putting responsibility on drivers due to fuel and cost of living increases along with near a decade of any noticeable fare increase is BS.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

............BANGKOK, 1 October 2014 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry has urged taxi operators to comply with the standard of services set by the ministry, while it considers a taxi fare increase..............

"urged" says it all!!dry.png

• Like 1

Will it make a difference for the taxi drivers anyway? You probaly know what I mean if you've tried to get a ride in a "meter taxi" at MBK, Central World or Don Muang airport at night recently...

That said, I agree that the fare rise is long due. And that said, this has never been a valid excuse for aggressive behavior and reckless driving.

The taxidrivers should learn english and learn how to drive safe.

Been here long have we? Most people who come here realize Thailand isn't a former British colony where a good number of the population speak English.

If you plan on sticking around this country a while, my suggestion is go and buy a small phrase book and learn a few useful phrases. Result satisfaction all around. Chok dee.

You're in a quare mood tonight!!! tongue.png

Safer driving would be nice, but "should" learn English or even Russian or Chinese is not something I´d expect of a much more expansive european Taxi.

Best not to even try and tell a Parisian taxi driver what he or she should learn. Oh La La !

• Like 1

............BANGKOK, 1 October 2014 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry has urged taxi operators to comply with the standard of services set by the ministry, while it considers a taxi fare increase..............

Yes it most certainly does and no amount of ' urging ' will mean anything to the type of driver we are talking about.

The ministry should make sure the regulations are enforced but what chance of that other than the infamous ' crackdown ' statement ?

Most taxi drivers, except those in the city centre in Bangkok, rarely, if ever, have foreign passengers so why should they have to learn English.??To carry you around?? Surprisingly enough the majority of people in Bangkok are Thai...

Some basic English is definitely needed. Recently I had several instances where driver did not understand my request to bring me to MRT which was on the same main road....

Maybe you should learn Thai?? You are in Thailand after all!!! Or perhaps every person In Thailand should speak English just to make YOUR life easier..

I'm gonna be positive here!! I've taken Taxis regularly over the past six weeks and I have to say that the level of service has been excellent. Apart from one taxi driver who was angry because there was a traffic jam ( I don't get that...Surely they should be used to traffic jams!!) I've always been driven to my front door with politeness and nice conversations. Maybe that's because I try to be polite too...Let's be positive and praise Thai people for a change! We do live here after all so It's obviously better than our home countries. Maybe we could start a Positive Thread all on its own with no negativity allowed!! We could all suggest what makes Thailand a great place to live!!

• Like 1

Normally I don't comment on such as this as being not much point to it. I fully agree that taxi fares should be increased as agreed and planned as it is fair in my opinion. However, I have seen this scenario before years past in other countries in the region (Singapore was terrible in the early 80's for this same exact thing, hell it was a national crisis only solved by placing all drivers directly under NTUC) and invariably a kind of reverse mentally takes hold for while at least. This mentally takes the form of a depreciation of service as the taxi drivers realize that they make more per pax then previously and hence, feel that they can be more discriminating in pax selection and destination and it is a return to the bad old days of leaving paxs stranded and refusing proper service. This will happen in the short term and will gradually get better if the govt is willing to hold the taxi drivers accountable under this agreement as other countries in the region have. Only time will tell.

Been here long have we? Most people who come here realize Thailand isn't a former British colony where a good number of the population speak English.

If you plan on sticking around this country a while, my suggestion is go and buy a small phrase book and learn a few useful phrases. Result satisfaction all around. Chok dee.

Been here long, have you ratcatcher?

English just happens to be the international language.

That might give you a little clue as to why they should learn some.

• Like 1

Some basic English is definitely needed. Recently I had several instances where driver did not understand my request to bring me to MRT which was on the same main road....

Maybe you should learn Thai?? You are in Thailand after all!!! Or perhaps every person In Thailand should speak English just to make YOUR life easier..

The subject of the thread is for taxi drivers to improve their skills and I see this especially important with the integration of ASEAN coming late next year.

What are you getting at.

Western countries have laws if you break those laws there are consequences.

You do not have to obey any law - it is a free world (mostly).