Penang Or Vientiane ?

Okay next week l face the dreaded visa run. l am returning to teaching for a year to get the finances back into shape. The paperwork will be picked up early in the week, as early as l can them l am off. The question is which way do l go ?

l usually head off to Penang. lt is further from Rayong, but it is quick and easy. l have been thinking of going up to Laos, because it is considerably closer and l could get there a whole lot quicker. Only l have been hearing some horror stories about the processing of papers there. Quick turn around time is essential. So l turn here dear readers for your valuable advice.

ls Vientianne as bad as l am led to believe. Would a simple Non Immigrant visa for a little teaching position with all the supporting documents, really take 5 days ? Or am l better off skipping down to Penang, where l know where the consulate is ? Those who recommend Penang, can you please tell me how long your paperwork also took to process and what the price was, even if only roughly ?

Plenty people looking inhere, but no one has posted an opinion yet. Well that's okay folks, l still have a couple of days before l have to make a decision. Looking more and more like Penang at this stage, as l know the set up down there, l abit better, know what to expect etc.

Thanx for that. lt is what l thought, l was just looking for a little confirmation on eway or the other, to give me a nudge in a particular direction. l don't mind going either way, l am just looking for the mosr effieicent point of process.

I have read positive reports [on prior threads here] about the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. Coming from Rayong, that might be a viable option for you. It appears to be a simple matter to cross the river at Mukdahan. And soon the second Thai-Lao frienship bridge [currently under construction] will be completed there, making the crossing even easier.

More details needed on that one please. l don't want to get there then find l have to double back down to Penang, double dipping on time, money, effort etc.

Do you know if they can process a Non Immigrant B visa application for example ? Tried to PM you, but unsure if the 2 messages l sent you got through.

Just got back from Mukdahan and Savannakhet.

Got the ferry that left Mukdahan 09.00 and arrived at the Thai consulate at 10.30

after having done all the immi forms on the Lao side.

The Thai consulate is located about 5 minutes from where there the ferry lands.

Filled in the Visa application and ticked "Non Immigrant O". I think I recall seeing

a Non Immigrant B option there aswell.

The staff checked the papers and told me to get back at 3 in the afternoon to

collect my visa. And that's apparently standard procedure. Submit application

before noon - get visa at 3.

Got the 4pm ferry back across the river, had a nice dinner on the riverside in

mukdahan and was back home in southern Surin before 10pm.

Total cost for my brand new shiny O-visa? 5500 baht in all. Time spent? 1 day.

Wasted roughly 20K + each when I did Penang and Vientianne. Plus 3 days travelling etc.

Savannakhet rocks.

Best,

NoBuzz