Phuket: 18-wheeler truck runs over woman on bike

webfact

Phuket: 18-wheeler truck runs over woman on bike
Eakkapop Thongtub

1412229766_1-org.jpg
An 18-wheeler truck collides with a motorbike yesterday (October 1).

PHUKET: A woman was killed and another injured after an 18-wheeler truck crashed into the side of their motorbike yesterday (October 1) in Thalang.

At 11.15am Thatcherite police were called to the scene on Thepkasattri Rd. Police and Kulsoldharm rescuers found the driver Jirapa Kosuwan, 19, suffering from minor injuries, while the passenger Sunisa Thinbangteiw, 40, was pronounced dead after the truck ran over her body.

Police questioned the truck driver, Nirun Sawasdee, 37, and he told them, “It was a sharp turn and I did not see the motorcycle next to me. The truck side-swept the motorcycle off the road and the passenger on the motorcycle bounced off on to the road and got run over with the back wheels”.

Thachatchai police took Ms Jirapa and the body of the victim to Thalang Hospital. The truck driver was taken to the police station for further questioning.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/18-wheeler-truck-runs-over-woman-on-bike-in-phuket-48965.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-02

These trucks are frightening, They drive too fast, and think might is right!

Everyone drives too fast here. I notice it as soon as I cross over the Sarasin Bridge. They've just installed a huge overhead flashing light indicating the bend a couple of hundred meters into Sai Yuan, complete with warnings in Thai, but still they all hurtle along this narrow soi like bats out of hell. Idiots.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the death of the young woman.

But have you noticed also how the motorbike drivers go around?

They think they are invisible and in this case they were invisible to the truck driver.

So many times I have come close to an accident with a motorbike, the way they try to cut you off on the roads, usually coming from the left hand side.

• Like 1

What's up with the dark tinted windows... why even bother having windows!

Theres a sign states side "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you !".. but .. heck.. both the truck driver and motorcycle driver probably have lifetime licenses... if any at all.

• Like 1

True but these idiot on bikes are always coming up on the left and expect everyone to see them. I do not expect bikes to sneak up between me and the sidewalk and have almost hit a few myself when turning left.

• Like 2

True but these idiot on bikes are always coming up on the left and expect everyone to see them. I do not expect bikes to sneak up between me and the sidewalk and have almost hit a few myself when turning left.

You have to almost hug the sidewalk when turning left.

The trucks race like hell and the bike try to squeeze in everywhere, accidents must happen.

No proper driving training for anyone and fines you can just laugh about ( and mostly applied to foreigners only ) => RIP

Was Truck Overtaking the Bike?

or was the Bike Undertaking the Truck?

Convex mirrors don't really go that-wide-angled do they?

Unless they start turning downwards at least one the the 20 mirrors attached to the A pillar

Truckie needed another one of those (toyata-HiAce style) mirrors that he has got that lets him see his own front number platefrom the driver's seat

Edited by tifino

It was a sharp turn and I did not see the motorcycle next to me. The truck side-swept the motorcycle off the road and the passenger on the motorcycle bounced off on to the road and got run over with the back wheels.

Because you are an idiot bastard who goes with 120 with this monster, which is a deadly weapon in your monkey hands.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like a bad driver that isn't vigilantly checking his mirrors, which, in a big truck like this he should. Furthermore, it sounds like he cut the corner instead of swinging wide before turning left. Put these two driving errors together and you have a recipe for a fatality, anywhere, but only compounded here by the lack of driving skills and training.

It was a sharp turn and I did not see the motorcycle next to me. The truck side-swept the motorcycle off the road and the passenger on the motorcycle bounced off on to the road and got run over with the back wheels.

Because you are an idiot bastard who goes with 120 with this monster, which is a deadly weapon in your monkey hands.

did u ever drive an 18 wheeler ?

What, were you there? Yes, there are some idiots on bikes, but many idiots driving trucks and cars. It is highly likely the truck swapped lanes in the corner and hit them. I don't know what happened and neither do you. I would appreciate it people could stay in their own lane in corners. I see cars and trucks every day cutting corners like they own the road.

Speed may have had nothing to do with it.

I have been driving and riding here every day for the past nine years, and never nearly hit a bike when turning left. It helps if you put your indicator on early, check your mirrors and turn from the left lane. If you are wide enough from the kurb that a bike can over take you on the left, you are too wide and are asking for trouble. Don’t blame everyone else on the road. Maybe you need to look at your own driving.

RIP to the lady that was killed.